What happens when you drink a can of coke...

MireyGal76
MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
Saw this today on IFLscience.com and thought it was interesting...

http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/how-does-coca-cola-affect-your-body-hour-after-drinking-stuff

4wcs18vyt3be.png

For what it's worth... I love a can of pop from time to time... but it's a good thing to consider before you incorporate it into your daily diary.

Discuss?

Replies

• Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    tumblr_lytyr3nj6o1qkikgro1_250.gif
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Chart is a bit exaggerated but it does make you stop and think twice.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    tumblr_lytyr3nj6o1qkikgro1_250.gif

Lol, I was too slow!!!
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    IFLScience isn't very sciencey. They post a lot of BS.
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Great, now I want one. :|
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    IFLScience isn't very sciencey. They post a lot of BS.

Do you have a info showing this is BS?
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Your body doesn't turn anything into fat unless you are in a caloric surplus for the day. Charts like this only serve to misinform people about how their body works.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    And yet, Coke is a classic beverage of choice for athletes.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    levitateme wrote: »
    Your body doesn't turn anything into fat unless you are in a caloric surplus for the day. Charts like this only serve to misinform people about how their body works.

Yup.

Also, the stuff about dopamine and heroin is idiotic -- I refer people to senecarr's recent thread on "sugar addiction."

And the stuff on caffeine obviously applies to all caffeinated beverages. I believe there's a lot more in a cup of coffee than a can of coke.

Describing the effects of almost any food we eat in language that would sound as scary to the ignorant would be incredibly easy to do.

All that aside, the real effects of one can of coke is using up 140 calories, which for me is never, ever going to be worth it (as I don't even like regular coke, and don't like wasting calories on drinks anyway).
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    And yet, Coke is a classic beverage of choice for athletes.

Yep, because of what happens in those first 45 minutes (minus the conversion of sugar to fat part, which doesn't happen in this case).
  • MireyGal76
    popcorn2.gif
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    I can't believe my liver would betray me by turning all the sugar it can get its hands on into fat. Next time I'm mixing it with rum, jerk.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    I can't believe my liver would betray me by turning all the sugar it can get its hands on into fat. Next time I'm mixing it with rum, jerk.

coke + rum = good
    coke + tequila = better
  • barbecuesauce
    MireyGal76 wrote: »
    popcorn2.gif

I'm never seen an OP outright post a popcorn gif. I know many have been thinking it, but never outright post it.
  • barbecuesauce
    jacksonpt wrote: »

coke + rum = good
    coke + tequila = better

A potent mix of tequila, rum, jack, and furniture polish is going down next time. Take that.
  • ultrahoon
    ultrahoon Posts: 467 Member
    This is about the same level of science as those 'omg MacDonalds burgers don't rot because they are filled with the devil!" posts from a few years back.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 wrote: »
    popcorn2.gif

I'm never seen an OP outright post a popcorn gif. I know many have been thinking it, but never outright post it.

hehe. I'm not your standard OP.

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member

coke + rum = good
    coke + tequila = better

Better? Only if you mean I'm gonna throw it all up right afterward.
  • Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member

coke + rum = good
    coke + tequila = better

Coke + vanilla vodka = best :D

• MireyGal76
    TR0berts wrote: »

coke + rum = good
    coke + tequila = better

Better? Only if you mean I'm gonna throw it all up right afterward.

Coke + rye is best.