What happens when you drink a can of coke...

Options

Replies

• MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    ultrahoon wrote: »
    This is about the same level of science as those 'omg MacDonalds burgers don't rot because they are filled with the devil!" posts from a few years back.

I just wish their fries would do the same. I love their fries hot... but as soon as they go cold... I'm a sad panda.
  • raynereborn
    raynereborn Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    my dentist told me that pop also softens your enamel for up to 45 minutes after you've drank, so important NOT to brush as you will be more prone to damaging your teeth.

Personally a sip of pop, especially Coke, makes my eyes water up like crazy and it feel like bubbles are in my nose. I am not a huge fan of that, so I have pop on an extreme rare basis (maybe one every couple months at best)
  • ultrahoon
    ultrahoon Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    my dentist told me that pop also softens your enamel for up to 45 minutes after you've drank, so important NOT to brush as you will be more prone to damaging your teeth.

Personally a sip of pop, especially Coke, makes my eyes water up like crazy and it feel like bubbles are in my nose. I am not a huge fan of that, so I have pop on an extreme rare basis (maybe one every couple months at best)

There are lots of foods and drinks that will do this. It's good advice in general to not brush your teeth within half an hour of eating.
  • MireyGal76
    Options
    ultrahoon wrote: »

There are lots of foods and drinks that will do this. It's good advice in general to not brush your teeth within half an hour of eating.

on this topic... I've been having a lot of teeth issues lately, and my dentist said that they're seeing a trend with fit people having this problem... because every time you eat / drink, your enamel softens. As part of the fitness "trend" many people are snacking all day - so enamel is weaker throughout the day. And particularly, fruits are really bad for this because of the natural sugars.

So while many small healthy snacks can work great for managing your waistline... it can be a bugger on your teeth. Go figure.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Not directed to you in particular OP, but this is how I feel about many IFLS posts:

u623rgfqk0mv.jpg
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    IFLScience isn't very sciencey. They post a lot of BS.

Do you have a info showing this is BS?

wait...I can say anything I want in a graphic and the burden of proof is on anybody who wants to discredit it?

troll-face-dance-o.gif

• jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I can't believe my liver would betray me by turning all the sugar it can get its hands on into fat. Next time I'm mixing it with rum, jerk.

First, I feel betrayed that my liver even HAS HANDS!!!

Second, while exaggerated, the chart is mostly legit. I hate when MFP'ers tend to over simplify things. While weight loss can mostly work with CICO, our bodies are much more complicated and our overall health depends on much more than how many calories we are eating.

Third, I love Coke and Dr. Pepper but, like anything else, moderation is key.

• snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    After interns were hired, the level of science, particularly concerning dietary matters, decreased for IFLS. But, the infographic is misleading and the article is actually saying that the infographic is full of it due to lack of numbers and specifics.

It's ok. I made the same mistake based on many of their recent nutrition posts and it does end with some fearmongerining of its own.
  • MireyGal76
    Options
    "moderation is key"

^^ THIS ^^

Simple and profound. A can of pop may not be the BEST thing for your body... but it's not going to kill you. Five cans a day is likely bound to bugger up your insides.

Just like I love going to the amusement park... once or twice a year. If I went daily... I'm sure my insides would be a mess and I'd be walking around with a perma-concussion. (Hell, by the end of the evening I feel like I have a concussion).
  • MireyGal76
    Options
    snikkins wrote: »
    After interns were hired, the level of science, particularly concerning dietary matters, decreased for IFLS. But, the infographic is misleading and the article is actually saying that the infographic is full of it.

It's ok. I made the same mistake based on many of their recent nutrition posts.

Oh trust me... I'm not advocating this graphic as fact. Or even science. But there is enough there to give some pause... and possibly trigger further research and discussion.

Not to mention popcorn.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    Not directed to you in particular OP, but this is how I feel about many IFLS posts:

u623rgfqk0mv.jpg

this straight up made me smile. a lot.

now I look like a star trek nerd grinning like a fool (my dress is star trek black and red today)
    #nopenotcrazy
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    MireyGal76 wrote: »
    "moderation is key"

^^ THIS ^^

Simple and profound. A can of pop may not be the BEST thing for your body... but it's not going to kill you. Five cans a day is likely bound to bugger up your insides.

Just like I love going to the amusement park... once or twice a year. If I went daily... I'm sure my insides would be a mess and I'd be walking around with a perma-concussion. (Hell, by the end of the evening I feel like I have a concussion).

Agree with this completely. Also, a CAN of pop/soda is moderation. Not the gigantic bottles that have 2 - 3 servings per container that have now become the norm.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,596 Member
    Options
    If you have a corroded car battery, pour some coke on it. Cleans it right up!
  • ultrahoon
    ultrahoon Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    If you have a corroded car battery, pour some coke on it. Cleans it right up!

Pure orange juice will do this too, and much better. It's about the acid.

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Would the FDA even permit the selling of Coke if half of the 'facts' were factual?
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    Kexessa wrote: »
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    I can't believe my liver would betray me by turning all the sugar it can get its hands on into fat. Next time I'm mixing it with rum, jerk.

coke + rum = good
    coke + tequila = better

Coke + vanilla vodka = best :D

Cherry Coke + Vanilla Vodka = bettererer :smiley:
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

coke + rum = good
    coke + tequila = better

Win.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    MireyGal76 wrote: »
    snikkins wrote: »
    After interns were hired, the level of science, particularly concerning dietary matters, decreased for IFLS. But, the infographic is misleading and the article is actually saying that the infographic is full of it.

It's ok. I made the same mistake based on many of their recent nutrition posts.

Oh trust me... I'm not advocating this graphic as fact. Or even science. But there is enough there to give some pause... and possibly trigger further research and discussion.

Not to mention popcorn.

You know what goes well with a big bucket of popcorn...

74688b15fb97260a4d593085d17b5fd5.jpg
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,596 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

coke + rum = good
    coke + tequila = better

Win.

If I drank either, that would sound so good!
    Pure orange juice will do this too, and much better. It's about the acid.

I tried the coke thing yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeears ago but I'm not sure I'd do it again. Because then you have to worry about cleaning it up.

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Holy $%$%#. 10 L?