What happens when you drink a can of coke...

Options

Replies

• MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Kexessa wrote: »
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    I can't believe my liver would betray me by turning all the sugar it can get its hands on into fat. Next time I'm mixing it with rum, jerk.

coke + rum = good
    coke + tequila = better

Coke + vanilla vodka = best :D

Cherry Coke + Vanilla Vodka = bettererer :smiley:

Win.

OMG... you make me want to try this!
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Would the FDA even permit the selling of Coke if half of the 'facts' were factual?

Yes, the FDA bows to whoever has the deepest pockets. You don't believe that an organization that is funded by the manufacturers they approve or disapprove is concerned about your health?
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    MireyGal76 wrote: »
    snikkins wrote: »
    After interns were hired, the level of science, particularly concerning dietary matters, decreased for IFLS. But, the infographic is misleading and the article is actually saying that the infographic is full of it.

It's ok. I made the same mistake based on many of their recent nutrition posts.

Oh trust me... I'm not advocating this graphic as fact. Or even science. But there is enough there to give some pause... and possibly trigger further research and discussion.

Not to mention popcorn.

Oh no, I know! Sorry if I cam across that way. I was just mentioning that for once they weren't actually completely full of it when coming to nutrition information - I edited my post after you quoted it so that may be where some of the confusion comes from. My fault for posting an incomplete thought.

The FB post had a huge picture of the infographic, so I assumed they were advocating that the CHEMIKILLZ will destroy you immediately, again. It was nice that they weren't until the end where they decided to anyway.

• LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    And the stuff on caffeine obviously applies to all caffeinated beverages. I believe there's a lot more in a cup of coffee than a can of coke.

How do you fit a can of coke into a cup of coffee?
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    And the stuff on caffeine obviously applies to all caffeinated beverages. I believe there's a lot more in a cup of coffee than a can of coke.

How do you fit a can of coke into a cup of coffee?

I was assuming that was referring to caffeine levels...
  • lucstone
    lucstone Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I drink water and vegetable/fruit smoothies. I'll occasionally ruin it and add a protein supplement.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I don't like such graphics. They cherry pick and dramatize. 10 teaspoons sure sound a lot more than 3 tablespoons. What about the failure to mention that most foods high in carbs or protein produce a spike? What about the fact that it contains less caffeine than caffeinated tea or about 1/4 of a cup of coffee and that glycogen release caused by caffeine only produces a notable spike in those who already have diabetes? How about that shallow misleading comparison to cocaine - I guess I should stop eating oregano (has a natural substance that increases dopamine) or owning a dog because.. cocain..

So if I stop mixing my cola soft drinks with milk am I all good? And does that mean I should stop eating pumpkin seeds, fish and cheese since those contain phosphorus as well?

Why assume bad intentions. Maybe the target audience for this graphic is sedentary diabetics who drink 3 liters of cola a day.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    IFLScience isn't very sciencey. They post a lot of BS.

Do you have a info showing this is BS?

The picture that is the basis of this thread is a great example.

It's funny how somebody put this in a blog two months ago ... no citation anywhere in the blog ... exaggerations ... and now it is trending.
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I noticed how soda can really take a huge daily bite out of my total calorie allowance.
    WOW!
    And people debate the whole diet soda notion, so at some point, I let go of that as well.

I'd rather drink green tea or lemon water, and twice per day, I juice some veggies with a few servings of fresh fruit.

• brianpperkins
    Options
    I noticed how soda can really take a huge daily bite out of my total calorie allowance.
    WOW!
    And people debate the whole diet soda notion, so at some point, I let go of that as well.

I'd rather drink green tea or lemon water, and twice per day, I juice some veggies with a few servings of fresh fruit.

In another thread you mentioned how you "feel addicted to sugar" yet the drinks you mention in the last sentence all contain sugars. Seek rehab or admit what you "feel" is truly hyperbolic.
  • amusedmonkey
    Options
    WOW!

Be careful! Lemon water ruins your teeth and green tea increases dopamine... just like cocaine.
  • MireyGal76
    edited July 2015
    Options

It's funny how somebody put this in a blog two months ago ... no citation anywhere in the blog ... exaggerations ... and now it is trending.

What's even funnier is that the article written by ILS that posts the pic as it's primary attention grab, is actually somewhat debunking the authenticity of the pic. But no one reads the article... they just look at the pic. (Myself included at first, and then read later).

I wanted to see people's responses, and I wasn't disappointed. :smile:

*typed as I sip my grande flat white with 4 packets of raw sugar - with 195mg caffeine* :laugh:
  • brianpperkins
    Options

What's even funnier is that the article written by ILS that posts the pic as it's primary attention grab, is actually somewhat debunking the authenticity of the pic. But no one reads the article... they just look at the pic. (Myself included at first, and then read later).

*typed as I sip my grande flat white with 4 packets of raw sugar* :laugh:

I stopped following ILS due to their progression into clickbait.
  • DuckReconMajor
    DuckReconMajor Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    providing a further boost in metabolism
    *goes out and buys one hundred cases of coke*
  • amusedmonkey
    Options

*typed as I sip my grande flat white with 4 packets of raw sugar* :laugh:

I stopped following ILS due to their progression into clickbait.

Very true.. before she made an official website and got very popular she was actually a good source for interesting science tidbits. It made me a bit sad to be honest.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    I think it was also IFLS that posted about watermelons recently. Apparently a painting from 100 years ago proves that we've GMO'd watermelons for tastier flesh, to the point that they look completely different today. They made this connection based upon a PAINTING. Seriously. I guess they've never seen anything by Van Gogh? IFLS is on par with Dr. Oz for factual information IMO
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    levitateme wrote: »
    Your body doesn't turn anything into fat unless you are in a caloric surplus for the day. Charts like this only serve to misinform people about how their body works.

Yup.

Also, the stuff about dopamine and heroin is idiotic -- I refer people to senecarr's recent thread on "sugar addiction."

Describing the effects of almost any food we eat in language that would sound as scary to the ignorant would be incredibly easy to do.

All that aside, the real effects of one can of coke is using up 140 calories, which for me is never, ever going to be worth it (as I don't even like regular coke, and don't like wasting calories on drinks anyway).

3 times as much caffeine in 8 oz of coffee than in 12 oz of coke.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I can't believe my liver would betray me by turning all the sugar it can get its hands on into fat. Next time I'm mixing it with rum, jerk.

coke + rum = good
    coke + tequila = better

Scotch = best!
  • MireyGal76
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »

coke + rum = good
    coke + tequila = better

Scotch = best!

with coke? or just straight?

hehe - just checking to see how far we're derailing! :laugh:
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    Not directed to you in particular OP, but this is how I feel about many IFLS posts:

u623rgfqk0mv.jpg

So funny! I like Science. Big fan. But most people who think they love Science would be singing a different tune about a month into an Organic Chem class.

I love *some* science. :)