To butter or not to butter ????

Options
I am curious of how everyone feels about those "fake" butter tasting spreads (that have a lot of additives that I can't even pronounce ) vs. REAL butter. I have heard that real butter is actually better for you knowing that it is pure ingredients rather than all those fake ones in the spreads. Thoughts ?? What do you use??

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    I use butter.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I prefer butter. Margarine is primarily vegetable oil.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Yep butter
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Don't get hung up on *kitten* you can't pronounce. If you judge food by that you would probably die from dehydration.
  • amsmithatc33
    amsmithatc33 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I use real butter in moderation. I've lost 21 lbs over the last few months.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Real butter
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I cant believe its no butter with olive oil scores a "B" on my foodicate app. But yes. normally the real thing is usually better as long as you don't go overboard.

Also, olive oil is a good alternative for cooking.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    The only reason I don't use real butter is because I'm lactose intolerant. Otherwise I'd use real butter. Since I can't, I use Smart Balance.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Personally, I prefer butter for flavor and it just cooks better. If you want to a margarine spread, you might look for ones that are trans-fat free, otherwise go for it.
  • madkcole
    madkcole Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I think you nailed it. Too many additives in margarine and fake butters. I prefer butter because it just tastes better and is wonderful for baking. I think butter, along with eggs got a bad rap in the 90s, but it seems as though the research is proving that better is better.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Butter. I don't eat it much, but given the choice between the two, I'd take butter every time.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I use real butter.

http://www.landolakes.com/Products/Custom/2222283.aspx This stuff is pretty tasty too
  • suvmom03103
    suvmom03103 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »
    Don't get hung up on *kitten* you can't pronounce. If you judge food by that you would probably die from dehydration.

LOL........ I will watch out for that !!! =)
  • kyrannosaurus
    kyrannosaurus Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Fake butter because I don't eat dairy. I don't use it often though, maybe like once a month.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »

LOL........ I will watch out for that !!! =)

Seriously. Don't fall for the "I can't pronounce that so it must be bad for me" shtick.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Butter for me.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I am curious of how everyone feels about those "fake" butter tasting spreads (that have a lot of additives that I can't even pronounce ) vs. REAL butter. I have heard that real butter is actually better for you knowing that it is pure ingredients rather than all those fake ones in the spreads. Thoughts ?? What do you use??

Whether or not you use fake butter or real butter is personal preference.

Me.....I like REAL butter.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    The only reason I don't use real butter is because I'm lactose intolerant. Otherwise I'd use real butter. Since I can't, I use Smart Balance.

I'm lactose intolerant as well, and the only two things I can eat are butter and some brands of yogurt. If I eat ice cream, or cream of any kind, or regular cheeses (that are not lactose free), I have some major problems. But, not with butter.
  • ajff
    ajff Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I use real butter, except for on my toast - I use the butter/canola oil blend b/c it spreads straight from the fridge. But I weigh my butter and butter/canola ... then I KNOW how much I am using!
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I like country crock for spreading and frying, but for pretty much everything else, real butter. It's all good.