Would you have said anything?

Options

Replies

• fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    It is not our job to keep fools from buying snake oil. And Herbalife sells a lot of snake oil. So does Market America and ScamWay.
  • Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Yes, I would have said, "I lost X pounds with MFP and it's free!"

+1 after the first customer left.

Its like stopping some one from getting picked pocketed.

• blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    No, it's none of my business how other people choose to diet. What's right for me may not be right for them and vice versa.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Nope. The cashier is a grown adult capable of analyzing information and making her own decisions, and realistically, I'm a complete stranger whose opinion means jack to her.

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    Yes, I would have said, "I lost X pounds with MFP and it's free!"

Oh, yeah maybe, if you framed it like that, like "we're all just women here, talking about weight, as usual, and here's the thing I did", and delivered it in a sunny, friendly way. Although they still might think you were kind of a jerk.

But actually, the other thing is, OP, you don't know for 100% sure that the cashier *was* actually interested and not just being polite to get the snake oil lady off her back.

Right, I wouldn't have framed it as "Herbalife is a waste of money" and would have been my usual sunny, friendly self.

I've joined in on convos, as well as initiated convos, in supermarket lines plenty of times. Last time was at WalMart asking the people in front of me how many people their humongous giant subs fed. Answer - 16-20.

I've made a friend from someone I met in a line at a department store.

Me too, I chat with people all the time (if it's not super busy), which is how I kind-of know many of the cashiers and servers that are local to me. But have not made an actual friend at the department store! Well done :)

The reason I think in this case a judgement of "jerk" might be made is that the snake oil lady had already moved the interaction in a transactional direction and positioned herself as the "expert", so even a friendly interjection might be seen as a challenge to that. But yeah that is not necessarily a problem afaic
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Paul699 wrote: »
    I would have wanted to say "errrm, excuse me, but im waiting to be served here, if you want to talk about personal matters please do so out of work time" but thats just me :)

I was a cashier for 4 years and if you said that to me (or most of my coworkers) you would be served so slowly, just to waste your time even more. And we'd probably squash your bread or bananas or something.

After spending hours serving hundreds of customers that don't even acknowledge you, sometimes you just need a quick chat. Plus it's not like the OP wasn't served. She was.

I know it sounds petty. But we really hate those customers. So glad I don't deal with it anymore.

Yeah..... No. The last cashier that did something like this to me I complained about. I typically choose the express isle, since I am usually only getting 5-6 items, right after I have been stuck on an ambulance for 12-16 hours. Last thing I want to deal with is a person who doesn't want to do their job:
  • jesjesjesjes2
    jesjesjesjes2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yes. I would have offered up, brightly and kindly, how I lost 90lbs counting calories for free. :D I'd tell them BOTH about MFP. And answer any questions. I've done it quite a few times. But I also loathe all those companies that sell shakes/pills/wraps and will always try to turn people away from them.
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    I would say no
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Would you say something if they were talking about religion or politics you don't agree with?
  • lizzocat
    lizzocat Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I definitely would not have said something- it doesn't even work when I talk to people I know who ASK me for advice, I wouldn't say it to a stranger
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    No way. I don't bring it up to people I KNOW. Most people say they want to lose weight, but they don't really want to hear the truth.

Some people (who I KNOW) have asked what I've done. I simply say I eat a little less and exercise more. If they press on, I'm happy to talk about it in more detail, but most don't because it's not exciting.
  • Domicinator
    Domicinator Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I have an acquaintance who thinks that drinking 2 oz. of liquified asparagus a day is going to help her lose weight. She doesn't modify her diet or do much moving around. Just the asparagus.

I don't say anything to her about it, but this is just how we are as a society--always looking for a shortcut. It is definitely frustrating when you're working so hard to lose/maintain and you hear people saying stupid things like that, but you can't really say much about it.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Nope. Not a word. Their conversation. I wasn't invited.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not. How would you react to a stranger coming up to you in the middle of a conversation with your friend and forcing their religious or political beliefs on you out of nowhere? Those situations produced some interesting reactions from me. Or some stranger telling you "you're fat you need to lose weight, it's not good for your health"? I bet you would feel they're crossing the line.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Would anyone have said anything if you were in my position? Just curious.

No, I wouldn't say anything to two strangers I overheard talking about a weight loss product or method. That would be super rude and obnoxious.
    If I was asked about my opinion or they tried to sell me a product then I would let them know it was all CICO.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    No, I wouldn't have said anything to strangers. First of all, any diet can work if you stick to it. I know nothing about Herbalife, but I assume it's not dangerous. The fact that it's not for you doesn't mean it won't be right for the cashier. And if it's not, then it's not.

https://scholar.google.co.uk/scholar?q=herbalife+liver+hepatotoxicity&hl=en&as_sdt=0&as_vis=1&oi=scholart&sa=X&ved=0CB4QgQMwAGoVChMIkIfC6JOGxwIVKVrbCh16zwHJ

idk, I haven't read any of the studies... doesn't look too good though :huh:
  • DarlaX1973
    DarlaX1973 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It depends on where you're from, definitely not where I'm from.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    It depends. Am quite surprised everyone else says absolutely no, but it wouldnt be out of place for someone to have a conversation at a bus stop, in a queue, checkout. Pick your moment and way you do it. Id be highly wary of interceding with the other woman there. Am more shocked by the atitude of the checkout person above.......
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Would you say something if they were talking about religion or politics you don't agree with?
    This.

• SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member
    Options
    I have an acquaintance who thinks that drinking 2 oz. of liquified asparagus a day is going to help her lose weight. She doesn't modify her diet or do much moving around. Just the asparagus.

I don't say anything to her about it, but this is just how we are as a society--always looking for a shortcut. It is definitely frustrating when you're working so hard to lose/maintain and you hear people saying stupid things like that, but you can't really say much about it.
    Oh gawd. The asparagus pee effect she must have *gag*