1000 calorie deficit & no weight lose

Options

Replies

• irishbsun
    irishbsun Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
    I suppose I have been one to starve myself with out even knowing it until I logged calories. Ever since having my two kids I have had the hardest time losing weight. So frustrating. I have not done any fad diets, no pills or anything like that. Just trying to figure out what I should be doing.

If you find you are hypo-thyroid..you will need to take medication to get your body back to it's normal working self..Also it is hard to know how to help you without knowing your dieting habits. For example, are you someone who has starved herself for so long that you cannot eat a normal amount of calories without gaining weight because your body is literally taking every calorie you put in as fat to make up for the prolonged starvation period you have put yourself through. Or maybe you have been on a fad diet like HCG and your body is really messed up due to ingesting HCG and eating only 500 calories a day. I say this because I have done both in the past and it took a good year to get my body back to a normal metabolism. No judgement here I promise. More information would be helpful. Also if you are hypo I would be happy to share stories as I have had serious Thyroid disease (think more than one and cancer) for 15 yrs and can help point you to good internet websites that will give you good information.
  • socalprincess1
    socalprincess1 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Abby2205 wrote: »
    1. How long have you been doing this? If it's 3 weeks or less, be patient.
    2. How do you sustain a 1000 calorie deficit every day? That suggests a minimum of 2200 calories burned every day. That is a lot for a 5'1" woman. Weight lifting and yoga aren't major calorie burners and the kickboxing is only twice a week. Do you have a very active lifestyle aside from the exercise?

It's not that hard...eating at a deficit of 500 cal daily, and doing 500 cal worth of exercise gets it done. Or burning more through exercise, and eating a lower deficit. I'm 5'3", 155, wear a HR Monitor, and go on a 75 min hike and burn 900 calories. Maybe my heart sucks and hers doesn't...but point is, a 1000 cal deficit is not that hard to achieve.
  • irishbsun
    Options

I have my Fitbit connected to my fitness pal. I walk 10k steps a day at work and then work outs. I do run a couple days a week, 3-6miles.
    1. How long have you been doing this? If it's 3 weeks or less, be patient.
    2. How do you sustain a 1000 calorie deficit every day? That suggests a minimum of 2200 calories burned every day. That is a lot for a 5'1" woman. Weight lifting and yoga aren't major calorie burners and the kickboxing is only twice a week. Do you have a very active lifestyle aside from the exercise?

• brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    irishbsun wrote: »
    I am frustrated. Really really frustrated. Began tracking calories and realized I was not eating a min of 1200 a day so I upped my in take. I workout with weights 2/3 x a week, kickboxing 2x and yoga at home on other days.

In order to lose weight I need a 1k deficiency, which I have been doing daily. I've lost nothing. I have actually GAINED 8lbs and no I don't believe it's muscle my clothes are getting snug. I don't eat crap. I use both this app and FitBit so I can see where I am with calories. I am really frustrated. I have 60lbs to lose and nothing is budging. I recently had my blood drawn for a hormone check & awaiting results. After my second child 3 yes ago I have not been able to lose weight. It's driving me crazy! I've never been this heavy and it literally physically hurts. I'm only 5'1 and this weight is literally weighing me down.

Any thoughts or advise? I'm about to eat a box of kitkats out of frustration.

I have this issue but then again, I'm in an extremely hypothyroid state due to a thyroidectomy. Maybe it's cancer? It's good you're getting yourself checked out by a doctor if this is legitimately happening to you. But if there's even a chance you're underestimating your intake or overestimating your output, you might want to investigate those possibilities as well. A scale and not eating back all of your exercise calories is a great place to start. The odds are, it's the latter. And I hope for your sake that it is the latter. Sure, the former is a great excuse but it's way less fun than being honest with yourself about your intake and output.
  • Abby2205
    Abby2205 Posts: 253 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    So you have an active lifestyle, plus exercise, eating 1200 calories a day, but have gained 8 pounds in 4 weeks. Water retention maybe? Which wouldn't be good either. Yep, see a doctor.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Hypothyroidism may cause an initial increase in weight due to increased cellular uptake, but this is about 10 lbs and rapid gain over a small amount of time. The rest of the gain is Calorie In/Calorie Out.

Very simple - you are underestimating calories in or overestimating calories out.

Internet diagnosis are worthless - if concerned request a hormone panel, specifically TSH, Total T4, Free T4, Total T3, Free T3, and RT3. If this comes back in range you've eliminated this possibility. Review what you have control over first and get a digital food scale.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    You are eating way more than you think. As in more than 1000 over what you estimate. Get a scale, you will be surprised.
  • brower47
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Hypothyroidism may cause an initial increase in weight due to increased cellular uptake, but this is about 10 lbs and rapid gain over a small amount of time. The rest of the gain is Calorie In/Calorie Out.

Very simple - you are underestimating calories in or overestimating calories out.

Internet diagnosis are worthless - if concerned request a hormone panel, specifically TSH, Total T4, Free T4, Total T3, Free T3, and RT3. If this comes back in range you've eliminated this possibility. Review what you have control over first and get a digital food scale.

Unregulated hypothyroidism can slow down the metabolism. The CI/CO equation can be affected by it. It's not just short term water weight gain.

"Thyroid hormone regulates metabolism—the way the body uses energy—and affects nearly every organ in the body. Without enough thyroid hormone, many of the body’s functions slow down. About 4.6 percent of the U.S. population age 12 and older has hypothyroidism."

http://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/health-topics/endocrine/hypothyroidism/Pages/fact-sheet.aspx

It's unlikely to be OPs issue but giving out false info doesn't help anyone.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    As they all said you are eating way more than you think. The fact you arent weighing supports that.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    So you have an active lifestyle, plus exercise, eating 1200 calories a day, but have gained 8 pounds in 4 weeks. Water retention maybe? Which wouldn't be good either. Yep, see a doctor.

It's not water retention, and being active and exercise can't fix overeating. OP isn't eating 1200 calories a day. OP has admitted not using a food scale to weigh all solid foods, so has no way of knowing how many calories she is actually eating.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    brower47 wrote: »

Unregulated hypothyroidism can slow down the metabolism. The CI/CO equation can be affected by it. It's not just short term water weight gain.

"Thyroid hormone regulates metabolism—the way the body uses energy—and affects nearly every organ in the body. Without enough thyroid hormone, many of the body’s functions slow down. About 4.6 percent of the U.S. population age 12 and older has hypothyroidism."

http://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/health-topics/endocrine/hypothyroidism/Pages/fact-sheet.aspx

Untreated yes, but these are not the stated symptoms. As stated it is ultimately CICO. T4/T3 may play a small part, but the metabolic rate change is nearly undetectable. Too many internet diagnosis running around "I'm overweight - maybe it's hypothyroidism" unless diagnosed - it's not.

Giving out false diagnosis of cancer is not particularly helpful either.
  • brower47
    edited July 2015
    Options
    brower47 wrote: »

Untreated yes, but these are not the stated symptoms. As stated it is ultimately CICO. T4/T3 may play a small part, but the metabolic rate change is nearly undetectable. Too many internet diagnosis running around "I'm overweight - maybe it's hypothyroidism" unless diagnosed - it's not.

Giving out false diagnosis of cancer is not particularly helpful either.

I didn't diagnose. I said to see a doctor. Nice try though.

And untreated would be what the OP was if that's what going to the doctor ultimately showed.
  • paris458
    paris458 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    are you eating back your workout calories? you definitely have to be eating more calories than you are burning.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    If you're not losing, you're not at a deficit. Period, full stop.

If you're actually gaining weight, you're over-eating. Period, full stop.

If you've only just started, it can take 1-3 weeks for things to kick in.

I began eating 1200 calorie min about 3/4 weeks ago.

You are eating more than 1200 cal/day.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Go to doctor
    Get all tests completed

If you have a thyroid / hormonal condition get it treated

Whilst you're doing this, invest in a scale ..a cheap digital one is fine...start weighing everything you eat and logging it accurately (double check against other food databases, an awful lot of MFP database is incorrect)

Also any exercise you log, double click on the calorie bit before entering and half the calorie allowance

Come back in 8 weeks and tell us what the doctor said and how your logging has gone

Good luck
  • irishbsun
    Options
    There are only two possibilities: 1) you are not healthy; something is out of whack. The hormone check should answer this possibility. 2) You are eating more calories than you think. You can get fat on chicken and fish. Start measuring your food and logging it into your food diary. Be completely honest with yourself and your measurements, and you will likely find out where the weight gain comes from. A lot of people stress that you MUST HAVE a food scale, but I don't have one and can't get one. I just make sure that what I call, for example, 1 cup is level with the top of the measuring cup, not heaping.

It seems too much like a chore for me to balance exercise and calories, so I filled out my goals for losing 1 pound per week and lightly active. I strive to stay under my calorie goal. I don't log exercise. I figure that fits under lightly active. I'm not training for a marathon or anything like that, so lightly should cover it (walking, wall pushups, squats, lunges, house cleaning).

I've lost 15 pounds in 6 weeks this way. I must confess, however, that this started out with 2-4 days of anorexia. I flew from Washington state to Ohio to visit my father and found him in his favorite chair barely conscious. Turns out he had a brain tumor and died from it in 2-3 weeks. This is one of the worst things that has ever happened to me. I started back with MFP to log my food and make sure I was getting adequate nutrition because I was having such a difficult time forcing myself to eat. I was unsuccessful with weight loss for years and had all kinds of special snowflake excuses for it, but now I realize that I wasn't being honest about everything I was eating.

I'm sorry for your loss.
    In the past I have not been honest with what I eat or not include something in my diary. But the past 6 months I've realized I need to be real and have been doing that and being honest with myself. Part of me is hoping hormones are the answer.
    paris458 wrote: »
    are you eating back your workout calories? you definitely have to be eating more calories than you are burning.

No I am not eating my calories back. I will eat 1210 calories and burn 2250 in a day (per Fitbit) on here I have it set up for a 2lb a week loss. I have a good 60lbs to lose. I'm 5'1 and 181lbs. I don't feel it should be this difficult to even lose a few pounds. It's frustrating
  • irishbsun
    Options
    My husband thinks I am eating too many calories at 1200 min a day and need to cut back. I wasn't losing weight with less calories so I don't believe that works.

If I do have hypo I still need to lose weight. I feel trapped in a body that's not mine
  • theawill519
    theawill519 Posts: 242 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    There are only two possibilities: 1) you are not healthy; something is out of whack. The hormone check should answer this possibility. 2) You are eating more calories than you think. You can get fat on chicken and fish. Start measuring your food and logging it into your food diary. Be completely honest with yourself and your measurements, and you will likely find out where the weight gain comes from. A lot of people stress that you MUST HAVE a food scale, but I don't have one and can't get one. I just make sure that what I call, for example, 1 cup is level with the top of the measuring cup, not heaping.

It seems too much like a chore for me to balance exercise and calories, so I filled out my goals for losing 1 pound per week and lightly active. I strive to stay under my calorie goal. I don't log exercise. I figure that fits under lightly active. I'm not training for a marathon or anything like that, so lightly should cover it (walking, wall pushups, squats, lunges, house cleaning).

I've lost 15 pounds in 6 weeks this way. I must confess, however, that this started out with 2-4 days of anorexia. I flew from Washington state to Ohio to visit my father and found him in his favorite chair barely conscious. Turns out he had a brain tumor and died from it in 2-3 weeks. This is one of the worst things that has ever happened to me. I started back with MFP to log my food and make sure I was getting adequate nutrition because I was having such a difficult time forcing myself to eat. I was unsuccessful with weight loss for years and had all kinds of special snowflake excuses for it, but now I realize that I wasn't being honest about everything I was eating.

I'm sorry for your loss.
    In the past I have not been honest with what I eat or not include something in my diary. But the past 6 months I've realized I need to be real and have been doing that and being honest with myself. Part of me is hoping hormones are the answer.
    paris458 wrote: »

No I am not eating my calories back. I will eat 1210 calories and burn 2250 in a day (per Fitbit) on here I have it set up for a 2lb a week loss. I have a good 60lbs to lose. I'm 5'1 and 181lbs. I don't feel it should be this difficult to even lose a few pounds. It's frustrating

I eat 1,200 cals a day (weighed and measured), my FitBit says I burn 3,000-3,500 cals a day, and I'm steadily losing 2 lbs a week. My point is that FitBit is clearly over estimating CO. Something to consider.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
  • irishbsun
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Go to doctor
    Get all tests completed

If you have a thyroid / hormonal condition get it treated

Whilst you're doing this, invest in a scale ..a cheap digital one is fine...start weighing everything you eat and logging it accurately (double check against other food databases, an awful lot of MFP database is incorrect)

Also any exercise you log, double click on the calorie bit before entering and half the calorie allowance

Come back in 8 weeks and tell us what the doctor said and how your logging has gone

Good luck

Great advice! Thank you!