Where's the sugar coming from?

2»

Replies

• cp318
    cp318 Posts: 11 Member
    I have no idea...

But thx for the list, I can't have any dairy, and I'm struggling with veggies, they aren't readily available here (fresh wise)
    And when I buy frozen they just don't taste right. I know I know I'm being picky on that front, but I'm trying.
    Like I said, im saving so I can make quinoa parties.

Quinoa, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, and mushrooms, with eggs to bind. But it's expensive.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »
    mm snake

LOL I never noticed that snake was on the menu...nor alligator.

I've had alligator actually. Not bad. Chewy but tastes like chicken.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    I really haven't seen any "bashing" here, but when an OP asks for help, it is normal to question ideas that don't make sense. It looks like the advice given here includes: quick drinking shakes and eat food; that plenty of food is gluten free and inexpensive; and that it would be a good idea to accurately log because some entries seem suspicious. Seems on target to me.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    cp318 wrote: »
    I have no idea...

But thx for the list, I can't have any dairy, and I'm struggling with veggies, they aren't readily available here (fresh wise)
    And when I buy frozen they just don't taste right. I know I know I'm being picky on that front, but I'm trying.

Quinoa, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, and mushrooms, with eggs to bind. But it's expensive.

I agree with you on the frozen...I don't like them either.

I don't know where you live but...

Carrots were on your list. I buy at least one 2lb bag of baby carrots every week and roast them in the oven.

Potatoes are normally very cheap every where...I bake them...roast them...well...there is not much that I won't do to a potato.

Eggs...are a great value...make omelets...boiled for a snack...fried...poached...they are versatile.

Quinoa I find a little on the pricey side...try substituting shredded zucchini...shredded sweet potatoes.

I also have done ground turkey burgers mixed with shredded zucchini or spinach (I do use the frozen for this). Just squeeze the water from the zucchini or the spinach. They are economical and keep well in the frig or freezer.

OP...that list of foods...most everything that I buy is on that list...I don't have celiac...so your family can eat the same thing that you eat.

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    edited August 2015
    Probably the shakes, but you can set up your diary to see exactly which entries have a lot of sugar.

If you're under on calories and don't want to eat, drink some juice. It's healthy and high-calorie.

Try to start eating food. Not eating gets very dangerous very quickly. And if you eat a mostly liquid diet, there a good chance that you'll end up with diarrhea.

Consider seeing your doctor about this Not Eating business. Maybe your appetite is off for a reason. If you find out it's not physical, get a referral to a therapist who specializes in things like not liking food.

Good luck to you!
  • cp318
    I've seen my Dr, and have had blood tests done. I saw a dietician too, She told me to increase my protein and my fibre...
    How do you increase fibre being celiac, you eat green food, To much greens, causes me to get calcium oxalate kidney stones.

Someone on here mention that they don't know how I got over weight, my answer is many many surgeries and hospital stays.

I'm back to being able to move without much pain so I'm as active as I can be,

I eat food. It's just expensive, so I limit what I intake so the rest of my household can thrive. I know it's a bad choice, but in the long run its for the greater good.

I've just started on this road to getting healthy and fit, sorry if I seem touchy, but it's been a stressful year thus far.

Baby steps, so I don't run into a tree, so to speak.

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    I'm in Canada too. I agree, it is annoying to spend $7.00 on one loaf of bread that is probably riddled with air bubbles. LOL

Don't buy the GF substitute foods. Poatatoes, and rice can be the major stand-in at dinner time. As lng as you are not buying the substitute foods, I find the cost of food is reasonable.

If you do buy substitute foods, you can claim the cost of those foods back on your taxes as long as you have a celiac diagnosis. I haven't bothered doing it, but it can be done.

Are you up north? I know food prices can get outrageous up there.
  • jacoblp
    jacoblp Posts: 13 Member
    I've seen my Dr, and have had blood tests done. I saw a dietician too, She told me to increase my protein and my fibre...
    How do you increase fibre being celiac, you eat green food, To much greens, causes me to get calcium oxalate kidney stones.

Someone on here mention that they don't know how I got over weight, my answer is many many surgeries and hospital stays.

I'm back to being able to move without much pain so I'm as active as I can be,

I eat food. It's just expensive, so I limit what I intake so the rest of my household can thrive. I know it's a bad choice, but in the long run its for the greater good.

I've just started on this road to getting healthy and fit, sorry if I seem touchy, but it's been a stressful year thus far.

Baby steps, so I don't run into a tree, so to speak.

Sorry to hear about your medical troubles.

Beans are a great source of protein and fibre. If you're buying canned, aim for low sodium.
  • cp318
    nvsmomketo wrote: »
    I'm in Canada too. I agree, it is annoying to spend $7.00 on one loaf of bread that is probably riddled with air bubbles. LOL

Don't buy the GF substitute foods. Poatatoes, and rice can be the major stand-in at dinner time. As lng as you are not buying the substitute foods, I find the cost of food is reasonable.

If you do buy substitute foods, you can claim the cost of those foods back on your taxes as long as you have a celiac diagnosis. I haven't bothered doing it, but it can be done.

I'm in Alberta. I try not to buy the substitutes. I'm addicted to white rice, but as soon as it runs out I'm going to switch to brown rice.
    I found a really good chai- millet bread I like but, ya $7 for a tiny loaf full of air holes just isn't worth it.

And you cannot claim it on your income tax unless it's more then $2500 a month.

I tried.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited August 2015
    I have no idea...

It's o.k. not to like frozen veggies. It is a texture thing. Some people are o.k. with frozen veggies in soups. And some veggies have the exact same texture whether they are frozen or not. -- like peas in my case.
    When you become more comfortable with cooking, you will be o.k. with adjusting recipes. The quinoa and eggs are the important part. You can delete three of the veggies and increase the amount of whichever veggie you do have.
    When we choose foods to eat and cook, we are not aiming for perfection. We are looking what is safe (feels good) and what works.
    Potatoes are cheap most of the time. They have a good chance of working for you.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    nvsmomketo wrote: »

I'm in Alberta. I try not to buy the substitutes. I'm addicted to white rice, but as soon as it runs out I'm going to switch to brown rice.
    I found a really good chai- millet bread I like but, ya $7 for a tiny loaf full of air holes just isn't worth it.

And you cannot claim it on your income tax unless it's more then $2500 a month.

I tried.

Calgary? :)
    Food is a lot here. I spend about $250-300 per week for my family of five (at just Costco and Superstore), and three of us are under age 13. I'm dreading my boys' teenage years....Eek.

I think (hope) you are incorrect about the $2500/month. No one could eat that amount in a month... at least I hope not. LOL Here is some info on claiming GF food from the CRA: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/gluten-free/ I never did it because I've heard you are more likely to be auditted if you do, and hubby and I dislike dealing with the CRA as it is.

My boys like Udi's chia millet the best too - there are 4 of us who eat GF in our home. I limit them to one slice per day because of the cost, and because I like to to fill up on other foods. One of my boys could live on rice too. :)
  • cp318
    RodaRose wrote: »
    I have no idea...

It's o.k. not to like frozen veggies. It is a texture thing. Some people are o.k. with frozen veggies in soups. And some veggies have the exact same texture whether they are frozen or not. -- like peas in my case.
    When you become more comfortable with cooking, you will be o.k. with adjusting recipes. The quinoa and eggs are the important part. You can delete three of the veggies and increase the amount of whichever veggie you do have.
    When we choose foods to eat and cook, we are not aiming for perfection. We are looking what is safe (feels good) and what works.
    Potatoes are cheap most of the time. They have a good chance of working for you.

Wow! Thx for this info! :-)