Intermittent fasting

Options
has anyone tried or is intermittent fasting right now? And if you have, did it work for you ?

Replies

• Hamez_UK
    Hamez_UK Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have done it in the past and have just started again this week. It has worked wonders for me, not because of all the rubbish fake science behind it. But because it is a great way that I can eat enjoyable meals a day but still keep my calories down. I do the 16:8 method, which basically means I don't eat breakfast.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    I tried a 16:8 pattern last time I was cutting as I thought it might help control my hunger to have 2 larger meals per day, but I found the long mornings before breaking the fast were a struggle, especially after cycling to work.

In terms of weight loss, it's still CICO that matters so there was no difference between while I was doing IF or while spreading calories over the whole day.
  • erindemers2015
    erindemers2015 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I eat one meal a day, so 23:1. I'm losing weight. I get to feel very full from lunch and then I am ok until the next day at lunch.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Hamez_UK wrote: »
    I have done it in the past and have just started again this week. It has worked wonders for me, not because of all the rubbish fake science behind it. But because it is a great way that I can eat enjoyable meals a day but still keep my calories down. I do the 16:8 method, which basically means I don't eat breakfast.

And how are you so certain it's 'rubbish fake science', exactly?

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I lost the majority of my weight with alternate day fasting, 24lbs in 4mths . Worked really well for me.
  • KarlaH9801
    KarlaH9801 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I do 16:8 as well. I eat all of my calories from 11 am to 7 pm. I have done it off and on for over a year now.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    It's just a dietary preference/ schedule. Whether you're eating 2500 cals in 8 hours or 14 hours, you're body composition will remain the same. Your body isn't running on a 24 hour time clock. It's constantly fluctuating, functioning, digesting.....etc. IF may help if you like the feeling of fullness though or if you'd rather eat larger meals.
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    salima714 wrote: »
    has anyone tried or is intermittent fasting right now? And if you have, did it work for you ?
    I do it while maintaining, and it helps keep my daily calories managed, and I lost some body fat.
    I actually do not know if intermittent fasting caused the fat loss or the fact that I train HIIT in a fasted state.
    There are so many variables.

I like to try different things, and when I seem to produce results, cool!

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    It's just a dietary preference/ schedule. Whether you're eating 2500 cals in 8 hours or 14 hours, you're body composition will remain the same.

A number of studies are now showing that fasting periods of 16 hours or greater increase the rate at which the body metabolizes fast, even under isocaloric conditions.

• freak4iron
    freak4iron Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    I eat one meal a day, so 23:1. I'm losing weight. I get to feel very full from lunch and then I am ok until the next day at lunch.

@erindemers2015 I don't care how much you eat in that one meal this is disordered eating behavior, and I don't think its real responsible to be encouraging it.

The only reason you should be doing intermittent fasting is to allow for more calories thought out the later half of the day, that is the only advantage it serves.

Don't get me wrong it can be a huge edge for some people (like me) if you don't have an appetite for the first few hours of the day anyways. The way I see it is: why would I force myself to eat breakfast if I can just eat bigger meals through out the day or have an extra meal through out the day and actually enjoy it?
  • freak4iron
    Options
    Hamez_UK wrote: »

And how are you so certain it's 'rubbish fake science', exactly?

Cuz it's calories in vs calories out. Waiting a few hours does nothing to change that fact!
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    It's just a dietary preference/ schedule. Whether you're eating 2500 cals in 8 hours or 14 hours, you're body composition will remain the same.

A number of studies are now showing that fasting periods of 16 hours or greater increase the rate at which the body metabolizes fast, even under isocaloric conditions.

This makes perfect sense to me.

• pinggolfer96
    Options

Maybe due to the fact you're in a fasted state that you're oxidizing fat, but how does that benefit you when you break the fast and ingest the same amount of calories as you burnt? There are a number of studies everywhere, but I'll stick with the proven one of calories in vs calories out.

• freak4iron
    Options

Makes perfect sense huh? Ok Then You go ahead and try eating once every 24hrs also you could pour a Gallon of hot sAuce over every bit of food(cause that supposedly speed up metabolism), or drink two Gallons of water For every bite you eat, or eat your candy bar with the wrapper still on it while upside down. Do what ever you want. Let me know how your pseudoscience diet methods work. I'm gona stick with the realistic stuff that actually gives me results.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I do a modified IF fasting-type diet and I'm satisfied. I get to have more liberty with food if I do a 500 calorie day or a water fast right before an event or a planned food outing. I did have prolonged periods of every other day dieting on 500 calories/maintenance.
    freak4iron wrote: »

Makes perfect sense huh? Ok Then You go ahead and try eating once every 24hrs also you could pour a Gallon of hot sAuce over every bit of food(cause that supposedly speed up metabolism), or drink two Gallons of water For every bite you eat, or eat your candy bar with the wrapper still on it while upside down. Do what ever you want. Let me know how your pseudoscience diet methods work. I'm gona stick with the realistic stuff that actually gives me results.

Edit: It's not really pseudoscience. It's simple. Just another way to allocate your deficit in a way that encourages adherence. Nearly 100 pounds lost so far is results in my book.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    freak4iron wrote: »

Jeez rightio then :huh:

And that is pretty much exactly what I did, minus the "hot sauce"...

I ate once a day, 500 calories, every second day.
    On the alternate days I ate close to my TDEE. I had nearly 28lbs to lose, 24 of those came off in 4mths doing IF.

I'd say those are pretty decent RESULTS.
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    I only fast, when I am sleep.
  • pinggolfer96
    Options
    I only fast when I want to become catabolic

So never lol.... Jk, but really, just focus on a caloric deficit. Sometimes IF can cause a ED due to the fact of binging (even if you're in a deficit), it can still kinda screw with you/:
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options

So never lol.... Jk, but really, just focus on a caloric deficit. Sometimes IF can cause a ED due to the fact of binging (even if you're in a deficit), it can still kinda screw with you/:

eating in 8 hours is binging? right.
  • pinggolfer96
    Options

eating in 8 hours is binging? right.

Nope, not what I said. I said it can lead to binging for people who want to feel satisfied and use it in that sense rather than the "benefits". Eat how you want, but I'm just trying to help out and give my opinion/ preference to a question asked on a forum.