Curb the sweet crave after dinner?

Options
Hey all! I am doing ok during the day without sweets until dinner time or Sunday afternoon then I want dessert! How can I kick that sweet tooth after meals??

Replies

• vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Perhaps have a more protein rich meal. Or alternatively, find a low calorie sweet you can enjoy without suffering.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Hey all! I am doing ok during the day without sweets until dinner time or Sunday afternoon then I want dessert! How can I kick that sweet tooth after meals??

Fit your desert into your calorie goals.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    You could work it in to your calorie allowance. Or find lower calorie alternatives. Fruit, yoghurt etc. Or try a small amount of high quality dark chocolate - it'll hit the spot but it's hard to eat a lot of it.
  • BeginnersBootcamp
    BeginnersBootcamp Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    5calorie jello cup!
  • bclarke1990
    bclarke1990 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    instant jello, 20 or 40 calories per box depending on the brand/flavor. I have two boxes of lemon jello (40 cals) for an enormous tub with a bit of fruit on it. Really filling :)
  • ReneeEdwards36
    ReneeEdwards36 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Jello is a brilliant idea!!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Is there a medical reason you can't have sweet desserts?

I'm finding it hard to think of any reason you can't have a small daily treat, nevermind a weekly one.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Have something sweet.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    A clementine is sweet, has vitamin C and few calories.
  • emilyrolles
    emilyrolles Posts: 4 Member
    Options

My personal trick, I brush my teeth a little while after dinner and mouthwash.. It stops me from having any sweets because I know I'll have to brush them again otherwise my teeth will rot! I hope this helps, It sure has with me!!

If you really cant go without something, I would definitely recommend Casein Protein Custard, Its made for eating before bed, & its so delicious - you can have it like a shake, custard or a hot chocolate heated up (my favorite) its just the powder and water.. http://www.gen-tec.com.au/products/casein-custard It helps your body with immunity and improves digestion, with amino acids and protein that helps you increase lean muscle mass and improve recovery. I have the creme caramel flavour from Gen-Tec ;)
  • SaffronSunrise
    SaffronSunrise Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    If you can fit it into your calories you can try Skinny Cow ice cream. Their ice cream sandwiches are so yummy & I think around 150 calories.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,205 Member
    Options
    I like a rooibos chai tea ... no milk, sugar, honey or anything like that because you really don't need it. The tea tastes sweet enough as it is. :)
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Have some extra dessert gum, does the trick
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    If you only want something after dinner, what's the harm? Can you be satisfied with something small or put aside enough calories (including with exercise) to fit it in?

But as with most of this, habit makes a big difference. If you are used to having something sweet after dinner and want to change that habit, teach yourself that you shouldn't always expect something sweet after dinner. A painless way for me to do this was to increase the size of dinner a bit or, instead, to have something extra but not sweet at the end of dinner (cheese is usually my choice for this, but something you like, fruit would totally work but to me it fits more in the dessert mode).
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Have it first! no,no just kidding although i did use that strategy once when i found that having dessert last meant i wanted to continue eating it. If i ate it first,and went straight on to my mains, it sorted out my sweet tooth.

But anyhow, if you want to skip dessert, what i think you need to do is work on your wish for it. You need to let it go. Having a piece of fruit or fruit salad would be a good help but mainly if you want to get beyond desserts all the time, you have to give it up in your mind.
  • supersocks117
    supersocks117 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

Fit your desert into your calorie goals.

This. I save calories for after dinner because I know I like to relax by watching some Netlifx and having a snack.

OP, if you want a "better for you" sweet that might help you meet that sweet need and help you fit your other goals, I am loving the mint chocolate chip Yasso bars (they are Greek yogurt pops) 100 cals, 5 g of protein, some calcium, they work well for me even with the sugar and are a good enough size serving to not feel like I was trying to pull a fast one on myself ;)
  • Copper1022
    Copper1022 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I toast a chocolate, chocolate chip Muffin Top and put a scoop of light Vanilla ice cream on top...tastes like a Brownie Ala Mode for less than 200 calories. Sometimes yogurt and fruit just won't fill that urge for something rich.
  • ElisaDane
    ElisaDane Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If I'm craving a sugary treat, I've been going for overnight oats. If, of course, they fit into my daily calorie goals. I whip up a bunch for the family and use strawberries and a little bit of cacao powder to sweeten it up.
  • jackiekerr63
    jackiekerr63 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, that's when i want to binge on sweet stuff. Sugar free gum helps or i play a game on facebook to take my mind off it. xx
  • rkcampbell
    rkcampbell Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Personally I save 300ish calories for nighttime snacks. Those usually include ice cream.