Switching gyms! How much do you pay and what does it include?

Options
Cocoa1020
Cocoa1020 Posts: 197 Member
edited August 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Hey guys so I am a planet fitness member. I love it there. the staff is friendly, it's $10 a month. I see all kinds of people and I feel comfortable there. My BF is training for a strength competition and he needed to join a gym with more stuff. He found a gym near his job that is relatively cheap. I don't venture out to that area much so i don't want to join that gym.

I wasn't thinking about switching until I drove past UFC gym that is quite a bit closer to be. So just for the hell of it I stepped inside and took a tour and I am sold. They have so much equipment that my gym doesn't have.

It's pretty intimidating tho. Everyone in there is so fit and muscular and I'm "fluffy and squishy". I am getting stronger and fitter and I will use those other people as my motivation. I will try my best to not feel like I don't belong.

I'm going to go with the cheaper membership where I can use all the machines and punching bags but no classes. It's $40 a month but i will try to negotiate. the membership that including the classes is $80 a month. That's just way to much for me. I was thinking of doing a yoga class.

So does anyone have any opinions on the UFC gyms? and if you live in the NY area, how much do you pay?
And for those that Don't go to UFC, what gyms do you guys go to? how much do you pay and what does your membership include?

Happy lifting!

Replies

• jazlambe
    jazlambe Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It's always good to switch gyms every now and then, being surrounded by people who are maybe a little more "fit and muscular" can give you some extra motivation and push you towards your goals. UFC gyms are great, but your right an extra $40 each month just for classes is definitely a bit steep! I'm currently a member of 24 hour fitness (as I move around a lot with work) and I love it! I pay $35 a month which includes access to all the 24s and classes. Most have a yoga class. They have a ton of equipment and a good training vibe. It would be worth checking out if there's one close to you!
  • Cocoa1020
    Options
    jazlambe wrote: »
    It's always good to switch gyms every now and then, being surrounded by people who are maybe a little more "fit and muscular" can give you some extra motivation and push you towards your goals. UFC gyms are great, but your right an extra $40 each month just for classes is definitely a bit steep! I'm currently a member of 24 hour fitness (as I move around a lot with work) and I love it! I pay $35 a month which includes access to all the 24s and classes. Most have a yoga class. They have a ton of equipment and a good training vibe. It would be worth checking out if there's one close to you!

my boyfriend just joined 24 hour fitness today. He loves it. The one he joined is in a very congested area with no parking. he doesn't drive and its a pretty easy bus ride for him. also he works in that area so it's super convenient for him but not me. ironically the ones by me in NY are NOT 24 hours!!!! I looked it up on google maps and flipped when it said it was closed! Having a 24 hour gym in very important to me. I work late at night, and I will go to a gym after work and get home 1 or 2 in the morning from the gym.

the good thing about the UFC by me is that its close enough that i can bike to it. Planet fitness is a bit far and i did the math on what it costs me a month in gas if i go 3x a week for 4 weeks (tho thats a minimum, i go more like 4 or 5 times a week) it cost me about $30 in gas anyway. so $30 for gas plus $10 for planet fitness membership is $40 anyway.

Again! its close enough where i can bike. its 3.2 miles so round trip its 6.4. my normal bike rides are longer! the 6.4 is extra calories burnt, and i love biking. :3
  • kkarcher94511
    kkarcher94511 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    $75/month for both my husband and i at our local YMCA. get access to all YMCAs, TONS of classes (i really only do pilates personally) like spin, step, trx, zumba, cardio, core&more, barre, yoga, etc. great pool (that i have never used) bbal court, tennis court, pretty good variety of weights but only two squat racks that are ALWAYS taken. the hours are shorter than i would prefer, they close by 930pm but its very close to me so thats working for now
  • bbandme
    bbandme Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    £37 a month (lifetime amount, never increases), here in the UK. This is a local council run leisure centre, it includes gym, classes and swimming. For me its worth every penny, it works out at less than £10 a week which many people spend on a bottle of wine without blinking.
  • lessismoreohio
    lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I'm a member at Planrt Fitness and like it there. Meets my needs.
  • bac0s
    bac0s Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    My husband and I go to the Y. We pay $94 a month, including our kids. We can go to any location (helpful bc he can stop at a different one than our "home" gym on the way home from work), they have a TON of well-maintained equipment that they don't have at other gyms, tons of classes, 2 indoor pools, and an awesome outdoor pool. They have a kids' workout room, and good hours.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Things are cheap in the USA! I'm in Australia (a metro area), I pay $65/fortnight for a boutique gym. It's similar to Cross Fit but more of a focus on OCR. The sessions are all WODs and there's also yoga. The opening hours are more limited (classes in the AM and PM) but I also like supporting a small business as opposed to a chain/big business. People bring their dogs, we all know each other and go for trail runs/brunches/races together.

On the other hand, I'd LOVE a swimming pool and a sauna. But there are plenty of council swimming pools near me which are cheap and the weather is gorgeous so I can run outside year around. It's winter at the moment and it's been 25 degrees (77F) most of the day.
  • Cocoa1020
    Options
    Things are cheap in the USA! I'm in Australia (a metro area), I pay $65/fortnight for a boutique gym. It's similar to Cross Fit but more of a focus on OCR. The sessions are all WODs and there's also yoga. The opening hours are more limited (classes in the AM and PM) but I also like supporting a small business as opposed to a chain/big business. People bring their dogs, we all know each other and go for trail runs/brunches/races together.

On the other hand, I'd LOVE a swimming pool and a sauna. But there are plenty of council swimming pools near me which are cheap and the weather is gorgeous so I can run outside year around. It's winter at the moment and it's been 25 degrees (77F) most of the day.

What do you mean its cheap here?! Crossfit is like $100 a month!!!!

And 77 degrees sounds like awesome runing/biking weather :)
  • ThomasWright1997
    ThomasWright1997 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    But equipment to work out at home, its a hell of a lot cheaper in the long run. Unless you rely on motivation in which case you should join a gym with a very expensive membership fee so you are forced to go or you waste a lot of money.
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I'm a member of LA fitness 29.99 a month, can use any location, plenty of cardio, weight machines, free weights, basketball, pool, sauna, whirl pool. and racquetball courts
  • marcrpearson101
    marcrpearson101 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    £19 a month for Puregym here in the UK, gives me acess to the 2 Puregyms in the town I live in and the 2 in the town my best friend lives in, just wish it/they had a spa and they would be perfect
  • Drewlssix
    Drewlssix Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    $30 a month at the local Golds. The usual mix of equipment. Decent free weight area but the machines take up most of the floor. They have a modest selection of odd object/strength training equipment and even a small dedicated area for that stuff. Classes are extra but I'm not concerned with them really, or with the amenities like steam room and such.

I just walk in run a mile or so on a mill to warm up then press weights according to my 5x5 program and leave.

I have played around with some of the odd object stuff and have used the foam rollers a few times but all I really need now is weights and space.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I think we pay $42 a month for the two of us. It's a university rec center. That includes the weight rooms, indoor track, and pool, and walk-in classes. The classes you have to register for (boxing, wall climbing, etc.) have an additional fee. The day lockers (small lockers) are free but you can pay to rent bigger lockers.
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Paramount Sports Complex
    vdykem8vafqn.jpg
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    But equipment to work out at home, its a hell of a lot cheaper in the long run. Unless you rely on motivation in which case you should join a gym with a very expensive membership fee so you are forced to go or you waste a lot of money.

Or you live someplace where you don't have room for a squat rack and treadmill, or you want a regulation-sized pool, or you enjoy the fitness class environment, or you want a spotter, or you like having access to personal training sessions to work on your form, or or or...

There are many good reasons to work out at home or on the road (running/walking/biking), but there are also many good reasons to join a gym. All that matters in the end is getting it done and hopefully having a good time doing it. :)
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    Around 45 a month for my daughter and I. Rock climbing. Two pools. Water slide. Cardio stuff. Free weights. Indoor track. Racquetball courts. Basketball courts. It's all there at our local rec center.
  • traceytwink
    traceytwink Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I pay £22 a month ATM due to increase to £26 it's a corporate membership at our local council leisure centre in the
  • Purrstachio2cat
    Purrstachio2cat Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've done several gyms and end up the same with every one - forcing myself to go because I don't want to waste the money and finally not going. The Y near me is great, but crowded. I finally gave up and bought a Bowflex Max Trainer. Expensive up front, but six months of those monthly dues will pay for it AND (the best part), I use it every day. Definitely a better deal.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    $93/mo for the YMCA - ouch. BUT, it's a family membership and I get free childcare while I workout. In the summer, the kids love the outdoor pool. I like that I can go to whichever one is most convenient - there are 3 different ones I go to depending on what I'm doing that day and they are opening one right by my house - so even better.

I'm not a weight lifter, so I'm not sure if the Y is good for that, but they have an abundance of treadmills which makes me happy and they always keep the cardio room nice and cool - I've been to gyms that have felt stuffy, which I hate.
  • alfonsinarosinsky
    alfonsinarosinsky Posts: 198 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I'm a member of Retro Fitness in Westchester County New York. It's $19.95 a month but more if you take classes. I love it there. Everything is brand new as it opened recently.

Ps they did have a sneaky fee of $40 something when I joined and also an annual fee of which I can't remember how much.