Interesting Side Effect of Losing Weight

Options
Machka9
Machka9 Posts: 25,195 Member
I feel taller.

I'm not sure why, but by the time I had lost about 12 kg, I started feeling taller. I'm down 16 kg and I feel even taller yet.

I'm sure it's just a perspective thing.

When I was heavier, I perceived myself as dumpy ... sort of short and roundish. Now I don't feel as dumpy ... so maybe that's why I feel taller.

But perhaps it's also a posture thing.

My husband says I seem a little taller to him too. Perhaps I'm standing straighter.

Whatever it is ... it's nice. :)

Have you had any interesting side effects when you lost weight?

Replies

• JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,222 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Being cold all the time. The more weight I lost, the colder I got. It's better now that I have had the weight off for a while, but I still find myself on 90+ degree days outside standing in a pool of sun... almost like a reptile trying to soak up some warmth. LOL!
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I have been noticing that when sensei repeatedly throws me I can get off the ground a lot quicker and more easily and attack again much quicker. Also I can sustain this for a longer period of time before I get winded. I have also noticed that my knees are less sore.

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    I feel taller, too. Maybe it's because when I look down I can see all the way to the ground again.
  • ClareDoherty42
    ClareDoherty42 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    My bum gets sore when I'm in the bath. Possibly cause there's less padding.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    My hip bones jab into the mattress more when I sleep on my side. Glad we sprung for a more expensive one recently!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Quite sure someone actually mentioned being taller, like all the weight was pushing down on their bones or something and they actually gained half an inch, lol.

For me being cold, hungrier, and finding it harder to sleep on my side because of the bony knees against each other.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Standing up taller, great job!
  • Protranser
    Protranser Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Doing planks is what has been helping me feel like my posture has gotten better. I noticed an immediate difference in my comfort with getting into jogging (when I was mainly walking) once I started doing planks.

I also identify with feeling colder. I am pretty certain I would've had the air conditioner running all summer long when I was heavier. This year, being thinner, I have just been using a fan, but could probably get by without.
  • SaffronSunrise
    SaffronSunrise Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Not having to unbutton or unzip my jeans to go potty. (TMI?) Hmm...maybe I should consider getting smaller jeans or a belt. I don't want a wardrobe malfunction.
  • Machka9
    Options
    Not having to unbutton or unzip my jeans to go potty. (TMI?) Hmm...maybe I should consider getting smaller jeans or a belt. I don't want a wardrobe malfunction.

:lol:

About a week ago I tried on a pair of jean shorts which I wore several times last summer, quite comfortably ... and when I walked across the room ... they fell off! :smiley:

• GeddesFit
    GeddesFit Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    The feeling taller thing is a bit of posture but I also think it's due to your centre of gravity changing. I've noticed that just from doing some simple exercises my balance has improved hugely! Also being lighter makes it easier to recover my balance when tipping too
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I just started feeling taller recently. It's not even something I'd have mentioned, lol, so I'm glad you did. It's so weird. I am much more aware of my whole body, in general, too.

I actually shrank, though! I'm down almost an inch. That really sucked when I thought I was near a Normal BMI and found out I had more to lose because I was an inch shorter!

Got shorter, feel taller.
  • SaffronSunrise
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

:lol:

About a week ago I tried on a pair of jean shorts which I wore several times last summer, quite comfortably ... and when I walked across the room ... they fell off! :smiley:

LOL!! That's a great problem to have, when you're at home, but maybe not so much walking to your car with your hands full of groceries. Note to self: find a belt.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    The bony knees thing, my butt is doing different things, I had to relearn how to shave my armpits because the pit is so deep now. I realize how much padding I had because now I walk around banging my hips into things and it hurts.
  • emzulpea
    emzulpea Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've felt taller, as well! Colder than more times I've ever thought I'd be cold and HAPPIER and energetic! :) My headaches haven't been as bad and my marriage has been better!
  • Machka9
    Options
    I have felt cooler as well ... a more comfortable temperature. :)

• NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I had to get a new watch. My wrists actually shrunk. And my feet. I've gone down a full shoe size, from 8 to 7.
  • SaffronSunrise
    Options
    I had to get a new watch. My wrists actually shrunk. And my feet. I've gone down a full shoe size, from 8 to 7.

aahh!! That's why my little canvas shoes caused a big ole blister on my heel!

• NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options

aahh!! That's why my little canvas shoes caused a big ole blister on my heel!

I think it's partly that actual fat is leaving the entire body, including the feet. And partly that since there is less pressure (weight) pushing down on the feet as you stand and walk, there is less 'spread' of the flesh there.
  • Machka9
    Options

Yes ...

I have arthritis in my right foot, and at my heavier weight, that foot would ache badly almost all the time. But after I'd lost about 10 kg, I started noticing that I could go hours without pain. Now there are whole days where I might just have a few minutes of pain.

And my high heeled boots had become agonising to wear when I gained weight, but I wore them again last week and this week, just a couple days each week, and they weren't too bad. :) I suspect my feet are a little smaller and there's less pressure.