Those who have cheat/treat days

Options
2»

Replies

• daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I track everything! I have my days when I eat at maintenance but I don't call them cheat days. 9-10 times I plan for them in advance like a vacation/holiday. For a day to be called a cheat day, I think I would have to overeat not eat at maintenance. Eating at maintenance occasionally or taking a week or more off is good practice for the future.
  • ClareDoherty42
    ClareDoherty42 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    You should eat 1200 calories. Come on. Take care or yourself. 1200 isn't that much. If you eat 1200 every day and you're aiming to lose a pound a week, with your high day, you might lose .5 lbs per week instead. That's fine.

Usually I'd agree, I clearly have no issues eating 1,200 calories or I wouldn't be overweight - haha! But today I'm just not hungry! I guess I might be as the day goes on, though, it's only 2pm after all, but I'm usually on around 7,000-8,000cals by now!

Feel it out. It's okay to be a little under one day but listen to your body. Don't start playing games with yourself thinking you NEED to be under 1200 calories to fix your high day. I recently tried to get back into a deficit and swear I went a little whacko trying to do that stuff.

Noted - thanks! Under eating is definitely not a problem for me :)

I've lost around 40st so far following weight watchers but just trying to shake it up a bit for my last 14lb so I'm fairly new to calorie counting.

Ah yes! I think now is a great time to switch to calorie counting. I know weight watchers has helped so many people but I think understanding CICO is so important to maintaining your loss. Conrats OP.

p.s. I'm sure you've already done your research but don't forget to weigh and log your fruits and veggies (after coming away from a program that doesn't count them!)

Yeah that has been a big shake up for me - haha! Feel cheated losing calories on an apple when I didn't used to lose points!

WW is great, I'd recommend it to anyone, but I was just following it too long and needed something new to focus me.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    You should eat 1200 calories. Come on. Take care or yourself. 1200 isn't that much. If you eat 1200 every day and you're aiming to lose a pound a week, with your high day, you might lose .5 lbs per week instead. That's fine.

Usually I'd agree, I clearly have no issues eating 1,200 calories or I wouldn't be overweight - haha! But today I'm just not hungry! I guess I might be as the day goes on, though, it's only 2pm after all, but I'm usually on around 7,000-8,000cals by now!

Feel it out. It's okay to be a little under one day but listen to your body. Don't start playing games with yourself thinking you NEED to be under 1200 calories to fix your high day. I recently tried to get back into a deficit and swear I went a little whacko trying to do that stuff.

Noted - thanks! Under eating is definitely not a problem for me :)

I've lost around 40st so far following weight watchers but just trying to shake it up a bit for my last 14lb so I'm fairly new to calorie counting.

Ah yes! I think now is a great time to switch to calorie counting. I know weight watchers has helped so many people but I think understanding CICO is so important to maintaining your loss. Conrats OP.

p.s. I'm sure you've already done your research but don't forget to weigh and log your fruits and veggies (after coming away from a program that doesn't count them!)

Yeah that has been a big shake up for me - haha! Feel cheated losing calories on an apple when I didn't used to lose points!

WW is great, I'd recommend it to anyone, but I was just following it too long and needed something new to focus me.

Yeah. I think WW may give people a couple hundred extra calories to account for their veggies and fruit intake. Don't quote me on that.
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Do you count your calories? Even in hindsight?

I won a meal for 2 in a radio competition (I know, who actually phones the radio?) so I decided to enjoy it. Then my boss phoned in pizza for lunch && the whole day just went to pot.

No big deal, back on it today.

But I decided to retrospectively count my calories for yesterday and I was just wondering if this is the done thing or do you generally just draw a line?
    No, I have a weekly cheat day where I eat whatever, rest from exercise and don't look back.
    For some reason I can't explain, it never set me back. I eat like a government mule, and within 3 days I have bounced right back, and on day 7 I was usually 1 pound less.

My doctor told me it was my internal thermostat trying to maintain weight which is about as scientific as bead shaking and voodoo rattles. Whatever...
    I lost around 100 pounds and have maintained this for 3 years. And as I have maintained weight, my fitness level has transformed.

Cheat days work for me.

You had your cheat day while you lost and in maintenance right? Do you keep a running tally of your calories or use any moderation at all in maintenance during a cheat day? Do you eat a little lighter during the week?

Not to derail the thread, just a quick question.
    No, I eat whatever on my cheat day...pizza, burgers...Taco Bell...KFC...whatever...
    I once tracked my calorie intake right at 6000 calories on such a day.

And during the other 6 days, I just followed the MFP recommendations for food intake and daily calorie goals.
    Who knows? It just all worked out.
    I do know that if I go over 2 days in a row, I am derailed, so it's just that one day.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Do you count your calories? Even in hindsight?

I won a meal for 2 in a radio competition (I know, who actually phones the radio?) so I decided to enjoy it. Then my boss phoned in pizza for lunch && the whole day just went to pot.

No big deal, back on it today.

But I decided to retrospectively count my calories for yesterday and I was just wondering if this is the done thing or do you generally just draw a line?

there's not really any rules...personally, I don't track *kitten*.