Skinny husband, fluffy wife

Options
It's hard when your husband is a twig and can eat anything and not gain weight.

Replies

• BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    His being skinny is not a reflection on you. Don't compare yourself to him. You are your own person.
  • Torchwood123
    Torchwood123 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that!!!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I've always dated thin men as an overweight woman. One thing that's great about calorie counting is you really can learn how to make room to enjoy food with your spouse, and still lose. One thing my boyfriend told me: "I really love how you are doing this, losing weight, getting healthy-and you can still have a big piece of chocolate cake with me".
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    when i started watching what i ate, i realized my "twig" husband didnt eat nearly as much as I thought he did. whoops.
  • arditarose
    Options
    when i started watching what i ate, i realized my "twig" husband didnt eat nearly as much as I thought he did. whoops.

And THIS! I noticed he would go most of the day without needing to stop for food. Then yeah, maybe he'd eat a 1000 calorie dinner, but so would I. And I would have been snacking throughout the day too.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Yeah, your husband obviously eats at a deficit or maintence for his size/activity level etc. So it's irrelevant to you what he appears to eat as yours will be different. It's like how some overweight girls will sometimes comment on their "skinny best friend being so lucky because they can eat what they want". There is a bigger picture to what you see them eating and you should only concentrate on your own personal numbers (TDEE/Calories/Macros etc).
  • Florette63
    Florette63 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    that is where I'm at , its hard when your husband wants to go eat out and eat all the things that you can't eat....
    trying to get back and feel good about myself.....
  • arditarose
    Options
    Florette63 wrote: »
    that is where I'm at , its hard when your husband wants to go eat out and eat all the things that you can't eat....
    trying to get back and feel good about myself.....

But you CAN eat with him. You have to make some wiser choices whether it be shaving off a few hundred calories throughout the week so you can eat at a restaurant, choosing a lighter option while you're out, adding extra exercise. You'll feel even better about yourself when you're losing weight WHILE enjoying your time and eating with your spouse.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    totally do-able. my hubby is a physical laborer who needs more calories than I do, my son has a sensory disorder that restricts his ability to eat most foods, and i watch my weight. yet I make meals everyday to serve all our needs. I do a lot of buffet style. ie- taco night- hubby has 3 or 4 soft tacos with all the fixins, son has a stack of tortillas and cheese, I have a giant salad made out of taco fixins.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    If your husband was eating more than he burns, he would be overweight. If he is taller than you, he needs more calories. If he is more active than you, he needs more calories. And most likely, the "eats whatever he wants" you are thinking of, is not as much as you believe compared to what you eat.
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    lin2926 wrote: »
    YEP!
    And such is life. Some are blessed with insane metabolisms.
    :#
    Our challenge is to simply play the hand life dealt and strive to be the best version of who we are.
    And a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor...
  • IrishMiner76
    IrishMiner76 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hey what do you know I'm a fluffy husband with a skinny wife ! But I enjoy the fact we are eating healthy together and the great thing is as I get fitter and skinnier she is right there beside me giving me advice, helping me make good choices and I must say she's my biggest supporter ! I'm glad she is skinny it gives me motivation to get back to the point when I was less Fluffy.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Does saying fluffy rather than fat help people?

That euphemism doesn't exist over here...it kind of jars for some reason

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    lin2926 wrote: »
    YEP!
    And such is life. Some are blessed with insane metabolisms.
    :#
    Our challenge is to simply play the hand life dealt and strive to be the best version of who we are.
    And a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor...

Most people..the vast majority have average metabolisms ...it's handy tabloid fodder to blame your metabolism for eating too much ...but generally it's not true...and if it is you need medical intervention

This is an interesting snippet on skinny friend vs fat friend and misconceptions

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eTr1JUvEiUU
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Does saying fluffy rather than fat help people?

That euphemism doesn't exist over here...it kind of jars for some reason

Fluffy is slang for farting (rather than fat) where I grew up... so my brain goes to a weird place initially.