Sardines?

Options
Anybody like sardines? I do- but the only way I've had them is on a cracker with mustard and hot sauce.

Do you eat them? How do you prepare them? Looking to add some variety.

Replies

• OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I like 'em, sorta. I've grown up (and old) on tuna and that's the canned fish I'm most used to. Never tasted sardines or anchovies as a kid.

But I know sardines are better for me and the planet. I've only eaten sardines from those little rectangular cans in sandwiches. They're OK but the main thing on my mind is just that they're different. I keep meaning to try and use smoked herring too. In the Mediterranean market I see big bags of salted sardines or herring and I always wish I knew what to do with those.

I think the main thing preventing me from following through on sardines is just habit. When tuna is on goes on one of those lost leader sales for 39 cents I'm just used to getting a dozen or two.

You didn't mention anchovies, but they're kinda the same. I usually have a can filets on the shelf and cook a few with the onions or aromatics before other ingredients in a tomato sauce or such like. You can't see or taste them in the finished dish except it tastes a little better somehow. The guys with the tall hats say anchovies add umami.

Looking forward to input from other members on this.
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Love sardines. Mixed with a bit of lemon pepper and eat with celery sticks.

Add a bit of Zatar, scoop with red pepper strips.

My cat looks so good when I give him the oil, his fur just glistens.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Sauté onion and tomato and add in adobo and your mustard sardines (add hot sauce) or your hot sauce sardines (add Dijon mustard) or your plain sardines (add both sardines and Dijon). Chop up in the pan and serve with rice, bread, or crackers.

Or, I love just plain sardines with olive oil, jalapeño, and crackers (nut thins are the best!).
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    I love sardines! I make a sardine salad with Greek yogurt, lemon, dill, seasonings of choice...etc then make it into a pizza on the low carb flatouts or tortillas! Drizzle some sriracha on top and broil some cheese on! So good!!!67dxcadnsf6o.jpg
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    In a wholegrain toasted sandwich. Mix in a little diced onion.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Love them. Chipotle Tabasco and saltines, usually.
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    whee1234 wrote: »
    Anybody like sardines? I do- but the only way I've had them is on a cracker with mustard and hot sauce.

Do you eat them? How do you prepare them? Looking to add some variety.
    I make sandwiches and even add them to pizza. People ridicule me for this.
    I forgive them o:)

• slowrollem
    slowrollem Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Toasted bread, rub a garlic clove on the toast, spread fresh avocado on toast, top with sardines and drizzle balsamic vinegar and cracked pepper! Divine!
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I really love Beach Cliff sardines. Lemon is probably my favorite
  • Furbuster
    Furbuster Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Love them. I like them on cheeseless pizza ....the oiliness gives a nice mouthfeel and stops the dryness
  • whee1234
    whee1234 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm! I hadn't thought of a pizza! Or making a tomato sauce with them. Sounds yummy!
  • Furbuster
    Furbuster Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    whee1234 wrote: »
    Hmmmm! I hadn't thought of a pizza! Or making a tomato sauce with them. Sounds yummy!

Deffo - I eat a lot of bought pilchards in tomato sauce.

Btw if you have pets my dogs LOVE the drained oil from the tinned fish over their dinner. Good for them too :)
  • br3adman
    br3adman Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Only buy the ones in olive oil. Trust me they are the best. King Oscar are my favorite brand. You wont even need hot sauce or mustard with these. They are packed with protein and have a lighter taste.
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I bought a can of King Oscar Sardines in extra virgin olive oil at the market today. They were on sale for $2.67 for a 3.75 oz can. They were incredibly good. It was as though I'd never tasted sardines before. No "fishy," taste or smell. The 3 oz of drained fish made a very satisfying meal.

Also bought a can of Bumble Bee skinless boneless sardines in "pure olive oil." They weren't as expensive as the King Oscar but still more than Beach Cliff which is probably the brand I've gotten in the past. Can't imagine them meeting the bar set by King Oscar but I'll try them later in the week.

Either way I have a another new favorite food. Thanks whee for bring up the subject. :smiley:
  • Linzon
    Linzon Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I just dump them on top of a big leafy green salad as the protein sometimes.
  • whee1234
    Options
    OldHobo wrote: »
    I bought a can of King Oscar Sardines in extra virgin olive oil at the market today. They were on sale for $2.67 for a 3.75 oz can. They were incredibly good. It was as though I'd never tasted sardines before. No "fishy," taste or smell. The 3 oz of drained fish made a very satisfying meal.

Also bought a can of Bumble Bee skinless boneless sardines in "pure olive oil." They weren't as expensive as the King Oscar but still more than Beach Cliff which is probably the brand I've gotten in the past. Can't imagine them meeting the bar set by King Oscar but I'll try them later in the week.

Either way I have a another new favorite food. Thanks whee for bring up the subject. :smiley:

So glad you enjoyed them. I like King Oscar too! My husband just ordered 12 cans of Wild Planet Sardines online so it looks like they'll be a regular meal for us too!
  • whee1234
    Options
    I make fried rice with them with green onions, mushrooms, and egg. Or toss them with some noodles and parmesan.

Ooo... I like the thought of fried rice. Noodles and parm sounds dangerous. I've always had trouble with pasta and portion control.

I'm going to try the rice though. That sounds delicious! Thanks for the idea!! :smile:
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I love the sardines that Costco sells. I've just been eating them plain but I see I need to start expanding a bit. The pizzas look great!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I've only ever eaten them with crackers, but I like the pizza idea!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Fresh grilled. It helps that where I live this is the cheapest fresh fish you can find :)