Working Hard W/ Personal Trainer. No weight loss. HELP

Options

Replies

• Jessyd76
    Jessyd76 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Thyroid medication generally takes about 6 weeks to really kick in - or at least that's my experience with Syntheroid.

Also, are you drinking enough water? I shoot for over a gallon a day.
  • tannibal_lecter
    tannibal_lecter Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Two weeks is too short. Give it 6 weeks.

Do you eat back your cardio calories?
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    People traditionally under report their food intake. Make sure you are actually weighing and measuring everything. Also, two weeks is a very short time. If you are working out a lot you may be holding water. Be a bit more patient. This is not a quick fix.
  • afroamericawriter
    afroamericawriter Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi, as a person who's worked with a personal trainer off and on I understand your frustration. I'd tell you some of the things my trainer told me just a couple of months ago. Your body needs time to adjust to a new exercise regimen so give b/w 10 to 14 days to weigh yourself.

Also, your body is changing in its composition with all the hardwork, it just takes time to show in numbers. This helped me A LOT cuz after 6 weks with a trainer, the scale showed I gained weight by two pounds but my skirts and jeans were loose. Yes I wanted the scale to show just then and was a bit angry at myself but I continued the insight I gained. Up the cardio, watched the sugar/sodium intake (more sugar for me) and avoided scale for THREE WEEKS. When I finally weighed myself, I saw the weight loss in numbers.

I'm not sure if you have an exercise tracker synced with MFP (it showed 0 on exercise in your diary) to give you accurate goal to eat because you might even be under eating and that way your body stores the calories you're giving as opposed to burning which doesn't reflect in weight loss.

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I would encourage I to talk to trainer about your concerns. That's part of what you're paying for.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Ps. Great job on all the exercise. I love working with a trainer.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    First, start using a food scale (cups are only for liquids). For instance, a medium banana, usually one weighed, my bananas average 125-135 calories, you have a 100.
    Remember, when starting a new exercise program, it's common to retain water as the muscles repair. This can often mask a loss.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    2 weeks? I'm guessing that your muscles are swelling with water due to the new rigorous workout. That'll happen. Don't panic yet.
  • TiaGia101
    TiaGia101 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    TiaGia101 wrote: »
    Same thing happens to me. When I'm working out hard, I lose zero weight. When I do no excercise, I lose weight. This is with keeping to 1200 calories the whole time. I've been told it has to do with water retention from sweating and muscle repair. It's super frustrating. I feel your pain!

No way that you're building muscle at 1200 calories. It could very well be water retention... but I reckon you were eating more than you thought you were.

Caloric deficit = weight loss

Exercise = fitness

Actually I do measure and weigh so I was not eating more than 1200, even with the extra calories allotted due to exercise. I was told here on MFP a and also by fitness trainers that it's common to weigh the same or even more after workout days.
  • arb037
    arb037 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I too have a non/ low functioning thyroid. You need to read this and educate yourself. Synthroid/ levothyroxine is not what we need.
    http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com
    Gl
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

Hi, as a person who's worked with a personal trainer off and on I understand your frustration. I'd tell you some of the things my trainer told me just a couple of months ago. Your body needs time to adjust to a new exercise regimen so give b/w 10 to 14 days to weigh yourself.

Also, your body is changing in its composition with all the hardwork, it just takes time to show in numbers. This helped me A LOT cuz after 6 weks with a trainer, the scale showed I gained weight by two pounds but my skirts and jeans were loose. Yes I wanted the scale to show just then and was a bit angry at myself but I continued the insight I gained. Up the cardio, watched the sugar/sodium intake (more sugar for me) and avoided scale for THREE WEEKS. When I finally weighed myself, I saw the weight loss in numbers.

I'm not sure if you have an exercise tracker synced with MFP (it showed 0 on exercise in your diary) to give you accurate goal to eat because you might even be under eating and that way your body stores the calories you're giving as opposed to burning which doesn't reflect in weight loss.

no. Under eating does not result in stalled weight/weight gain.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    I see a diary full of unweighed entries, and "weighed" entries that are clearly incorrect.

No mystery here - your logging is broken and you're eating a lot more than you think.

This. Do not use cups, use a scale. If you need to log something premade by someone else and you cannot get the ingredients, then use at least the "worst" scenario you can find logged. It looks like you could easily be at 1800 instead of 1400 calories based on your entries.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    MFP%20Flowchart%20lemonlionheart_zps3s3xqead.jpg
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    kjramirezz wrote: »
    Hi guys,I gained about 50 lbs after my thyroid went a little out of wack but got my correct meds a couple months ago.

I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease), and I lost more slowly than most MFPers—so be patient! But I did it just like everybody else—by learning to log everything I eat & drink accurately & honestly. Logging is simple, but it ain't easy. Logging works.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,720 Member
    Options
    arb037 wrote: »
    I too have a non/ low functioning thyroid. You need to read this and educate yourself. Synthroid/ levothyroxine is not what we need.
    http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com
    Gl
    The author has no medical or scientific credentials. Kinda like Kevin Trudeau. Education means learning from authorities who are actual experts in the field.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Coolhandkid
    Coolhandkid Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Sorry OP. There aren't usually so many crackpots in a thread.

1. It took you a lifetime to get to your weight. Expecting massive results in 2 weeks is unreasonable. Keep eating well, working out and having a significant calorie deficit and you WILL get results. Weight loss isn't linear. You will have ups and downs even if you do everything right. Don't get discouraged.

2. If someone else made you a porkchop and you called it 280 calories you are probably off by 50% (unless it was cooked plain with the fat trimmed). Maybe more. Others used the banana example as it could easily be off 35%. This only works if you are honest with yourself. If you look for something close without many calories you are only lying to yourself.

3. Be careful with sodium. A lot of times people initially cutting calories replace lost taste from salt. Salt makes you retain water. Water retention makes you weigh more.

4. If all this fails, the thyroid issue could be impacting your metabolic rate. See a Dr after a month or 6 weeks of hard work with no results. People like to start at this point but it is still highly doubtful it is having the impact you fear.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Join the thyroid group here on MFP.

You have not been on thyroid meds long enough to get their full benefit yet, and you are probably not yet on the dose that will properly maintain you. Have patience. Once your dose is at its final level you will see results, but it has to be raised slowly because if a doc raised it in big leaps they might over-shoot and that can cause dangerous heart arrhythmias until the level is lowered again.

Working out doesn't build muscle--it sends the signal to the body to build muscle. The actual building occurs during the rest between work-outs. It's not unusual for muscles to retain some extra water to have around to work with during these build phases. So short-term water-weight gain is really common and doesn't mean anything is wrong.

Being hypothyroid means for months to years your body has not been getting the iodine it needs to function and build muscle and other tissues. It is as though you had a severe case of malnutrition. With that in mind, when I was diagnosed, I gave myself 6 months to eat anything I wanted without concern for weight (though I did exercise), and took vitamins, to give my body a little time to re-model itself with an overabundance of every nutrient including iodine that it could possibly need. Consider setting a 6 month goal of weight maintenance and exercise, before starting on the weight loss effort.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,007 Member
    Options
    kjramirezz wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    looking over your diary it looks like you are not using correct database entries. Two days ago you had 9 ounces of pork chops and your diary says that was 297 calories…9 ounces of pork chops is about 500 calories.

also, you have "medium banana" logged, but you should really be weighing that in grams.

I would suggest cross checking your MFP database entries against this site:http://nutritiondata.self.com

Thanks. sometimes its a little hard cuz its food that some one else cooked and I can weigh it but I still have to guess or pick something that is in my fitnesspal already. I will definitely use that site :smile:

Also, look for the system-generated entries rather than user generated entries. One giveaway is that they usually have a longer description and more units of weight.

1a0da32f34357b0090b7d7d00f74d0b0.png

9.15 ounces of tenderloin is 521 calories. Not sure if chops come from tenderloin, which is, I believe, the least fatty cut of pork.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    looking over your diary it looks like you are not using correct database entries. Two days ago you had 9 ounces of pork chops and your diary says that was 297 calories…9 ounces of pork chops is about 500 calories.

also, you have "medium banana" logged, but you should really be weighing that in grams.

I would suggest cross checking your MFP database entries against this site:http://nutritiondata.self.com

This. I'm seeing entries in there that are definitely off. That pork chop entry...

OP - I would tighten up that diary - log everything everyday (I see unlogged days and days where you defintely didn't log everything), use entries you confirm are correct (the new "verified" system is a pile of steaming sh**, so don't go by that), and weigh your food more consistently (with a scale, not cups/spoons).
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    PS: use caution with web based thyroid information sites. Not everyone needs T3 with their T4--you only need it if your peripheral conversion of T4 to T3 is impaired (check by measuring T3). If you take T3 when you don't need it, within only a couple of days your peripheral conversion rate will be down-regulated, which makes getting OFF T3 difficult. T3 has a short half-life in blood, so to be appropriately effective T3 should be taken on a schedule 4 times a day, which is a pain in the *kitten*. People taking non-recombinant T4/T3 combos from animal sources do get T3, but if they are not dosing multiple times a day their T3 levels are going up and down like a yo-yo. What is more, the non-recombinant sources of thyroid hormone are animal T4 & T3, which are not identical to human T4& T3, marginally increasing the risk of developing antibodies to T4 in people who don't already have T4 antibodies as part of their existing disease.

I guess I'm saying the web can help you judge whether your doc has a clue what's going on in the world of thyroid disease management, but only an actual doc, not the web, can tell you which meds are the right ones for you.