Does anyone log their binges?

Options
1235»

Replies

• sharneymc59
    sharneymc59 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    No i would,nt log my binges too ashamed at the amount i ate wish they would invent a pill to stop mindless
    eating
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I eat way too much 3-4 days a month because of hormones. I log it all, even if it's just quick calories (but I know it's still as accurate as possible). That way it gives me an idea of how many calories I really burn, depending on how much I lose/gain that month. If I didn't log everything, I wouldn't know how to adjust my calorie intake... which for me is the point of keeping a diary in the first place.
  • LunaInverse
    LunaInverse Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I log it!!! The most important thing is being HONEST with yourself about what you eat. Even if you feel bad about it. By not logging it, the only person you're hurting is yourself.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    No i wouldn't log my binges too ashamed at the amount i ate wish they would invent a pill to stop mindless eating

Yoga has helped me with mindless and emotional eating:

How Yoga Can Help End Binge Eating

One breath at a time, end the suffering of binge-eating

...According to Juliano, yoga gives people the skills to stay with what they are feeling, rather than turning to food to escape. People who are obese or suffering from eating disorders have a tendency to dissociate from their bodies -- to choose not to feel what they are feeling when they are angry, anxious, or sad. Often, they turn to food to numb themselves. "There's this sense that I have to feel better right now, " Juliano says. "There is a complete intolerance of what is happening right now." This need to escape unpleasant feelings triggers a binge.

When you eat to escape what you are feeling, you lose touch with the experience of eating, as well. This is one reason binges can spiral out of control. "You have no understanding that you are full, way past full, into uncomfortable, because you're so out of it," Juliano explains. "You have no connection to what you're eating. You're eating a pint of ice cream and can't even taste it. Or you go to make yourself some toast and before you know it, half the loaf is gone."

Mindful yoga directly challenges the habit of dissociating from your body and your present-moment experience. "The whole point of yoga is to stay connected to your body. You learn it through practice, through breathing, and through breathing through the sensations."

Read more: https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-science-willpower/201007/how-yoga-can-help-end-binge-eating

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Almost no one here is perfect. Log it and move on.
  • mcmorrow33
    mcmorrow33 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm an emotional eater and would eat a lot of food to make myself feel better whenever things got bad. What helped me was swapping one habit for other: if you feel like eating a ton of food, distract yourself by going for a walk, ringing a friend for a chat, etc.. Be aware of your triggers x
  • maryroans
    maryroans Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I also try to log them. Mostly in order to redistribute the calories as an additional deficit for the following few days in order to keep my calorie averages consistent. Like others said, it also helps to see just how much you're eating - seeing all the damage is a nice way to deter/decrease the severity for future pig outs.
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    OUCH!
    No, but it worked just as well to call that day Christmas and enjoy a cheat day.
    I always gave myself one cheat day every week and lost about 100 pounds that way.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    OUCH!
    No, but it worked just as well to call that day Christmas and enjoy a cheat day.
    I always gave myself one cheat day every week and lost about 100 pounds that way.

That only really works if you have a big deficit the rest of the time though.
  • kelieghjane
    kelieghjane Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    im a binge eater, bit out of control at the minute as from tomorrow im logging all binges i think itl disgust me
  • DerekVTX
    DerekVTX Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Log it! Otherwise, you are only lying to yourself.

You took the words out of my mouth miss!
  • ARC1603
    ARC1603 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I've started logging mine and so far I've actually found it really helpful. By logging it, I feel like there's nothing to be ashamed of any more. It's also helped me to understand fully how I got so fat in the first place!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i consider the term 'binging' like an eating disorder.

no matter how many calories i eat, i log it. whether holidays, vacations, whatever. if im over, its okay. not logging it doesn't change the fact that your body knows you ate it.
  • lianachu13
    lianachu13 Posts: 15 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I don't log mine because it doesn't help me to do so. I don't need to stress over exact numbers; I just accept I've had a higher day and move on. If it affects the number on the scale that week, I'll be well aware why.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I usually log my binges.... But when I rn over 13 miles I never log the binges that happen after... It's my present to myself for running such a long distance.
  • ashypashy7
    ashypashy7 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I normally bank calories here and there so I do log my binges and I know it isn't so bad. I also find it helps me to binge less because I feel like I'm undoing my hard work. Not that it isn't worth it and good for the soul once in awhile IMO.
  • lynlen
    lynlen Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I try to log them but sometimes it gets way out of hand to the point where I can't even remember or accurately log everything
  • FunSizedKJ
    FunSizedKJ Posts: 67 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    About once or twice a month I just go crazy and binge on whatever I can get my hands on in the house. I'll be doing great all day long, have my whole day prelogged, calories and macros balanced, but all of a sudden something happens and I just can't stop the cravings/binging.

Luckily, I don't keep bad food around, but I'll still eat wayyy too much of things like nuts/nut butters, cheese, popcorn, etc. and I know the calories add up quickly. I never measure any of it so I don't typically record these moments of weakness and just move on.. tomorrow is a new day!

Tonight after dinner, I had a few handfuls of popcorn, a Kind bar, and some Cabot cheddar cheese.

So, do you think it's better to attempt to log what you know and guestimate or just forget about it and move along?

I log my cheat meals... i recently re-made my MFP because I lost my login info from way back in the day. My brain is very number oriented, while I logically KNOW a candy bar (or something) is bad for me, SEEING it demolish my numbers really puts it in perspective for me. I've found that seeing just how bad my "old favorites" are, it makes it easier for me to pass on them.