Exercise doesn't help you lose weight...say what?

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    bcalvanese wrote: »
    If people want to count every single calorie, weigh every gram of every bit of food they put in their mouth, fight that battle day after day for the rest of their life, and still be un-fit and just weigh less, that is up to them.

This is a strawman. No one is saying that. Some people don't find counting calories burdensome (I don't, although I am not convinced I will do it longterm and have maintained and even lost in the past without doing it). What people are saying is that what prevents weight gain is eating at or less than your maintenance, whatever maintenance is. What people are NOT saying (but you seem bound and determined to pretend that they are): (1) that people shouldn't exercise; and (2) that people MUST count calories to benefit from CICO.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »
    yarwell wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Everyone can swim! And swimming is great exercise!

Not applicable to non swimmers though. Plenty of people can't swim.
    They can swim, they just haven't learned how.

If your body works properly, you can swim. You may have to learn how, but you can do it. :)

Might be better to say you have the potential to learn to swim. An unfulfilled one in my case. I'm fine with a snorkel or an air tank though.

Learning to swim in order to exercise sounds like adding another barrier.
    I'm not saying people must swim in order to lose weight, just that it is helpful.

Acquiring a potentially life-saving skill is a good thing.

Some of us take on new knowledge with weight loss. People learn how to lift weights, how to do running programs, how to eat differently, etc. Some learn about nutrition. We learn to count calories. Learning to swim is just another thing someone could learn.

Anyone can learn to swim. It requires neither intelligence or talent. If your body works, you can do it.

Again, not saying it's required. Just possible. The only thing stopping people from learning to swim is themselves.
  • MinatoandClover
    MinatoandClover Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    That's not true. Exercise helps. It's just not the main thing which causes you to lose weight. Diet is more important. However, exercising does help.

For example, if you constantly maintain the weight you're at but want to lose weight, adding exercise to your daily regime will allow you to lose weight. If you're getting around 2000 kcal per day and you burn 500 kcal per day, you have a 500 kcal deficit, and that will cause you to lose weight.

However, if you're exercising and over-eating, you won't lose weight. If you eat 3000 kcal/day and you burn 500 kcal/day, you're still adding about 500 kcal to your body. You'll still gain weight if you don't change your diet.

I'll put it like this: dieting (by creating a calorie deficit) without exercising will allow you to lose weight. However, exercising without dieting may not allow you to lose weight. However, exercise doesn't not help.

You're right, though. It is about the calorie deficit. It doesn't matter so much how you're going about it. If you have a calorie deficit, you will lose weight.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Read this, and then say I'm wrong...

cdc.gov/healthyweight/physical_activity/

I rest my case.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    You are continuing to argue against things that no one is saying.
  • Tahlia68
    Tahlia68 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Tahlia68 wrote: »
    I believe 80% diet 20% exercise. I exercise 7 days a week and usually burn between 300-700 calories, but I still stick to my deficit and don't eat any extra calories back! I exercise to feel good and it also help's with toning up my body to get rid of the flabby bit's. There are so many people on here that don't think exercise is useful? it's very good for your mind as well as your body. I think everybody should have some kind of exercise each day as long as you stick to your deficit!! Don't agree, don't really care to be honest.

Still can't believe some people think exercise isn't warranted? you don't go on a diet and sit on your backside all day like a couch potato and do nothing but count calories. It's so important to get some form of exercise everyday, whether you're on a diet or not. Just DON'T eat your extra calories back and stick to your deficit and you will loose weight and become fit and healthy! Not skinny and flabby with loose skin hanging around your body! It's pretty simple CI Vs Co. I've also read thread's on here about people complaining about there loose, flabby skin? Well do some exercise and tone up as you loose your weight. It's as simple as that!!
  • lemurcat12
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Who is saying people shouldn't exercise? Not seeing that in this thread.

(Also, I do lots of exercise and wish it fixed loose skin, but not that I've noticed, and I don't understand why it would. What exercise makes the skin on your belly tighten up so that one doesn't risk getting embarrassed doing push-ups in public. I'd love to know.)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I lost the majority of my weight with zero exercise. Now I exercise so I can eat more but still lose weight.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I believe 80% diet 20% exercise. I exercise 7 days a week and usually burn between 300-700 calories, but I still stick to my deficit and don't eat any extra calories back! I exercise to feel good and it also help's with toning up my body to get rid of the flabby bit's. There are so many people on here that don't think exercise is useful? it's very good for your mind as well as your body. I think everybody should have some kind of exercise each day as long as you stick to your deficit!! Don't agree, don't really care to be honest.

Still can't believe some people think exercise isn't warranted? you don't go on a diet and sit on your backside all day like a couch potato and do nothing but count calories. It's so important to get some form of exercise everyday, whether you're on a diet or not. Just DON'T eat your extra calories back and stick to your deficit and you will loose weight and become fit and healthy! Not skinny and flabby with loose skin hanging around your body! It's pretty simple CI Vs Co. I've also read thread's on here about people complaining about there loose, flabby skin? Well do some exercise and tone up as you loose your weight. It's as simple as that!!

No one is saying not to do exercise. What is being said is that weight loss is possible without exercise- basically, exercise is just one more tool to add to the arsenal while losing weight.
    As far as skin goes - exercise is not some magic fix for that. Genetics and how far the skin has been stretched play a huge part in whether or not skin will be able to return to any sort of taut condition. No amount of exercise can repair skin once it has been damage by excessive stretching.
  • VeganAmandaJ
    VeganAmandaJ Posts: 234 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    aaron_mc29 wrote: »
    I agree that it's 80/20, and I can lose weight through diet alone, but I've found that doing both together keeps me more motivated. If I exercise regularly I tend to make better food choices, because I don't want all of that exercise to be for nothing.

That!! I agree and it is the same for me. I will say that you can eat junk, as long as it is within your calorie allowance, and still lose weight. It's not healthy and you may not lose as much fat and you will lose muscle most likely from ONLY focusing on food intake but it can be done.

Personally, I've done it both ways and I prefer to lift and do cardio (mostly in the form of HIIT and LISS), the benefits far outweigh any excuses and I feel amazing while I'm doing it, after, and the results speak for themselves.

So, yes, diet or the food you eat is of utmost importance but to relegate exercise as unnecessary would be a travesty! Exercise, such as cardio, is important for the heart and your body in general. Lifting weights increases fat burning and muscle growth and maintenance which keeps you leaner which sheds weight and fat helping your bones and helping with strength.

Fitness and diet go hand in hand; while diet (the food we eat) is super important and healthier (if it is a proper diet), fitness is very important too-they work together.
  • VeganAmandaJ
    VeganAmandaJ Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I have to disagree and say that fitness is just as (if not more) important than diet. I know I will be attacked for this, but I just cannot agree.

Fitness is key to weight control. If a person is at a good fitness level, they would have to literally be a glutton to become over weight. In addition, the more over weight a person is, the lower their fitness level.

Let the attacks begin... :)

Exactly!!
  • 555_FILK
    555_FILK Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    To those saying that exercise plays no role in weight loss or maintenance - whether you are trying to lose weight, or are in maintenance, don't you calibrate the calories in your diet to your TDEE? And isn't exercise part of your TDEE?
  • mccindy72
    Options
    555_FILK wrote: »
    To those saying that exercise plays no role in weight loss or maintenance - whether you are trying to lose weight, or are in maintenance, don't you calibrate the calories in your diet to your TDEE? And isn't exercise part of your TDEE?

Only if you are able to exercise. TDEE just includes any activity you engage in above autonomic functions throughout the day.
  • 555_FILK
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »

Only if you are able to exercise. TDEE just includes any activity you engage in above autonomic functions throughout the day.

Right, but the assertion being made by several people in this thread is that exercise has zero impact on weight loss, and that assertion is being made by people that DO exercise. So I'm just curious to know what they calibrate their calorie counts against.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    This is from the CDC - Division of Nutrition, Physical Activity, and Obesity

Physical Activity for a Healthy Weight

Why is physical activity important?

Regular physical activity is important for good health, and it's especially important if you're trying to lose weight or to maintain a healthy weight.
    •When losing weight, more physical activity increases the number of calories your body uses for energy or "burns off." The burning of calories through physical activity, combined with reducing the number of calories you eat, creates a "calorie deficit" that results in weight loss.
    •Most weight loss occurs because of decreased caloric intake. However, evidence shows the only way to maintain weight loss is to be engaged in regular physical activity.
    •Most importantly, physical activity reduces risks of cardiovascular disease and diabetes beyond that produced by weight reduction alone.

Physical activity also helps to–
    •Maintain weight.
    •Reduce high blood pressure.
    •Reduce risk for type 2 diabetes, heart attack, stroke, and several forms of cancer.
    •Reduce arthritis pain and associated disability.
    •Reduce risk for osteoporosis and falls.
    •Reduce symptoms of depression and anxiety.

I guess they are wrong too.

I am literally sitting here shaking my head and wondering why there are so many people who think exercise isn't at least as important (if not more important), and even many who think it matters very little or not at all.

its just so baffling to me, or is it just total stubbornness in not wanting to admit that you're just plain wrong?

I don't even know how to respond anymore, so I'm just going to take a back seat now.
  • mccindy72
    Options

Right, but the assertion being made by several people in this thread is that exercise has zero impact on weight loss, and that assertion is being made by people that DO exercise. So I'm just curious to know what they calibrate their calorie counts against.

No, the assertion has not been made that exercise has zero impact on weight loss. The assertion has been made that weight loss can be achieved independently of exercise. Exercise is another tool to use that, when added to calorie deficit, can assist with weight loss. So of course, when a person exercises, that activity is added to TDEE.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    This is from the CDC - Division of Nutrition, Physical Activity, and Obesity

Physical Activity for a Healthy Weight

Why is physical activity important?

Regular physical activity is important for good health, and it's especially important if you're trying to lose weight or to maintain a healthy weight.
    •When losing weight, more physical activity increases the number of calories your body uses for energy or "burns off." The burning of calories through physical activity, combined with reducing the number of calories you eat, creates a "calorie deficit" that results in weight loss.
    •Most weight loss occurs because of decreased caloric intake. However, evidence shows the only way to maintain weight loss is to be engaged in regular physical activity.
    •Most importantly, physical activity reduces risks of cardiovascular disease and diabetes beyond that produced by weight reduction alone.

Physical activity also helps to–
    •Maintain weight.
    •Reduce high blood pressure.
    •Reduce risk for type 2 diabetes, heart attack, stroke, and several forms of cancer.
    •Reduce arthritis pain and associated disability.
    •Reduce risk for osteoporosis and falls.
    •Reduce symptoms of depression and anxiety.

I guess they are wrong too.

I am literally sitting here shaking my head and wondering why there are so many people who think exercise isn't at least as important (if not more important), and even many who think it matters very little or not at all.

its just so baffling to me, or is it just total stubbornness in not wanting to admit that you're just plain wrong?

I don't even know how to respond anymore, so I'm just going to take a back seat now.

How many people are creating a 500 calorie deficit daily mostly from extra exercise? That's what it would mean to be "at least as important if not more important" for weight loss. Weight loss. Not blood pressure, health, body composition or anything else, solely for weight loss. You keep arguing against people that don't exist.
  • 555_FILK
    Options
    No, the assertion has not been made that exercise has zero impact on weight loss.

Except, it has:
    cdahl383 wrote: »
    One of my friends said that exercise does not help you lose weight, it's 100% diet.
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Fitness is very important--I weight lift and run and do other cardio, but I am very well aware it has nil to do with the very basics of weight loss.
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Weight management happens in the kitchen.
    Kexessa wrote: »
    I think exercise has zero bearing on losing weight.
    Exercise, in the big picture, is mostly irrelevant for most folks.

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options

I'm shaking my head wondering why the same arguments keep getting repeated for 14 pages.

fpk8MhH.jpg

• 555_FILK
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »

I'm shaking my head wondering why the same arguments keep getting repeated for 14 pages.

fpk8MhH.jpg

Because eventually one side will win, and then the interwebz will be theirs. B)