Exercise doesn't help you lose weight...say what?

Options

Replies

• Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    For me it was probably 95% CICO, 5% exercise. The benefits from exercise are amazing but I would never rely on it 100% unless I was training for an Ironman or something. :p
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    A person that eats 1600 calories per day and doesn't exercise will lose the same amount of weight as a person that eats 2000 calories and burns 400 calories per day, without fail, from exercise.

That is only necessarily true for a brief moment. As soon as any weight is lost, it starts becoming un-true, based on the type of exercise and the choice of calories, because body composition is changing, and it is not only possible, but quite common for that 1600 to result in a smaller deficit than the 2000 + 400 exercising.

Think....skinny fat.

Exercise has more effect on weight loss than just letting you eat back a few calories...

No, exercise has more effect on FITNESS than that. If a person's goal is to lose weight and they don't really care if they retain or gain muscle mass (i.e. way too many women trying to lose weight), then what I said is always true. We're talking about weight loss, not fitness, or even fat loss. Just seeing the number go down on the scale. Of course exercise is important for body composition, but plenty of people are perfectly content with skinny fat, as long as they're no longer overweight. None of my business if that's what they want. But for weight loss, it's all about calories in vs. calories out.

QFT
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Why quibble over percentages? The only factor of importance is operating in deficit. Whether it be CI or CO, it's the difference that matters.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    Gska17 wrote: »
    For me it was probably 95% CICO, 5% exercise. The benefits from exercise are amazing but I would never rely on it 100% unless I was training for an Ironman or something. :p

Exercise is part of CO tho
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Controlling intake (dieting) helps you lose FAT. Exercise gives a little more wiggle room in the diet, but does not DIRECTLY affect weight loss. Very often after exercise goes UP, weight goes UP too. Not fat; weight. Probably water weight.

To maintain my weight loss I much prefer to monitor my exercise than my weight, because I feel that is much more under my control. I witness strength and mobility gains, direct benefits from my changing lifestyle.

How many times do we see a poor determined soul, start a strict diet regimen AND an hour or more exercise a day, only to see the scale do NOTHING or even go UP? They wonder if all that effort was worthwhile? Not understanding that, even if they may have successfully budged some fat, the weight will take some time to drop off?

I think this is why Weight Watchers focuses on calorie (point) counting for the first few weeks, before it suggests that the dieter include exercise in to their routine. Nothing is more deflating than an early "failure".
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »

Only if you do it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I think statements like this are merely meant to suggest that you can't out exercise a bad diet...and then people take it out of context because derp...
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Being active helps me. More active = can eat more = happy me = sticks to it.
  • CSARdiver
    Options
    cdahl383 wrote: »
    Got into a discussion with some friends the other day regarding diet and exercise and losing weight, etc. One of my friends said that exercise does not help you lose weight, it's 100% diet. I disagreed and said that whether you take in less calories (diet) or burn more calories (exercise), if you're in a deficit you'll lose weight, therefore exercise does in fact help you lose weight. She disagreed with me still.

Your thoughts?

Someone needs to tell the military, because we've been doing it all wrong.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Got into a discussion with some friends the other day regarding diet and exercise and losing weight, etc. One of my friends said that exercise does not help you lose weight, it's 100% diet. I disagreed and said that whether you take in less calories (diet) or burn more calories (exercise), if you're in a deficit you'll lose weight, therefore exercise does in fact help you lose weight. She disagreed with me still.

Your thoughts?

No kidding, eh?

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options

Exercise is part of CICO.

CICO is not a diet or a way of eating. It's not descriptive. It covers calories and weight. That includes gaining weight, maintaining it and losing it.

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    tomatoey wrote: »

Only if you do it.

Yes but that person was doing it and talked about it as though it were separate from the cico equation
  • Domicinator
    Domicinator Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I hurt my back the first week of July and couldn't do any exercise for several days. That whole week, I stayed to my diet of 1500 calories a day and still lost weight. When my back was better and I started exercising every day again (eating about 1800 a day but burning off about 300), my rate of weight loss pretty much continued.

In my experience, people who tell you "exercise doesn't matter" are usually the people who constantly make excuses about why they don't exercise. The flaw in all these "studies" about how exercise doesn't matter is that they all seem to ignore the fact that it's human nature to think we can eat more and still lose weight if we just simply exercise once every day or two. And it blows my mind sometimes when I hear what some people consider to be exercise. Walking a mile on your lunch break every day is barely going to get your heart rate up enough to matter.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    minties82 wrote: »
    Being active helps me. More active = can eat more = happy me = sticks to it.

Yep, this exactly. I have no doubt I'd be fat without exercise because I would never stick to so few calories. This has always been true but much more so as I age.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,490 Member
    Options
    Why quibble over percentages? The only factor of importance is operating in deficit. Whether it be CI or CO, it's the difference that matters.

Like the man says...simple math.

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options

Your thoughts?

I'm astonished there are so many people who cant read and answer the question asked by the OP. Its just basic cico.

Jruzer wrote: »
    I need to save up some money. I want to get a part-time job to earn extra income, but my friend says the only way to save money is to spend less, and that working more won't help you get extra money.

Very good Jnuzer
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    I need to save up some money. I want to get a part-time job to earn extra income, but my friend says the only way to save money is to spend less, and that working more won't help you get extra money.

Very good Jnuzer
    If that part time job has the side effect of making you want to spend more.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options

Very good Jnuzer

But hes already stated he wants to save, in any event he can do a bit of both or even if he does spend it stops him going into debt.
  • CSARdiver
    Options

Very good Jnuzer

Ah, I see what you did there...pretty sneaky sis.