Exercise doesn't help you lose weight...say what?

Options

Replies

• Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    Kexessa wrote: »
    I think exercise has zero bearing on losing weight. While it may be a contributing factor because it makes you feel good so you make better food choices are more likely to stick to your calorie goals, etc.

Ever seen an overweight person in a coma being fed intravenously? They are fed their needed calories for their height and some other factors. That person is doing subzero exercise and they lose weight. I've watched it happen.

So what happens to the calories you burn in the first instance? Do you understand CICO?

Yes of course I understand CICO. What goes out has to exceed what goes in. HOW it goes out isn't a factor. Exercise may accelerate weight loss by increasing CO, or add to them so the CI can increase, but exercise isn't necessary.

In the first instance someone overweight burns 300 extra calories from exercise. They eat 1500 calories a day.

Second person is overweight, in a coma and receives 1500 liquid calories a day.

The first person will loose weight faster then the second person, but if the second person 1500 calories is a deficit, they will lose weight given enough time.

Do YOU understand CICO?
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I think exercise has zero bearing on losing weight. While it may be a contributing factor because it makes you feel good so you make better food choices are more likely to stick to your calorie goals, etc.

Ever seen an overweight person in a coma being fed intravenously? They are fed their needed calories for their height and some other factors. That person is doing subzero exercise and they lose weight. I've watched it happen.

So what happens to the calories you burn in the first instance? Do you understand CICO?

Yes of course I understand CICO. What goes out has to exceed what goes in. HOW it goes out isn't a factor. Exercise may accelerate weight loss by increasing CO, or add to them so the CI can increase, but exercise isn't necessary.

In the first instance someone overweight burns 300 extra calories from exercise. They eat 1500 calories a day.

Second person is overweight, in a coma and receives 1500 liquid calories a day.

The first person will loose weight faster then the second person, but if the second person 1500 calories is a deficit, they will lose weight given enough time.

Do YOU understand CICO?

Did you bother to read what the OP was asking and the purpose of this thread?
    Did you see that he was asking does exercise help with weight loss?

He wasnt asking can you lose weight without exercise. Perhaps if you bothered to read what the thread was about, then you wouldnt waste your time answering a question that was never asked. You are funny.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Diet is only the most important thing if a person is using only diet to lose weight. If a person chooses to lose weight by increasing their fitness level (the recommended method), then diet becomes secondary.

A fit body will process & maintain itself far better then an unfit body.

I don't know any doctor that would recommend just dieting to lose weight unless the person had a physical reason not to exercise.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    If you blow a typical workout, you might be off 200 ... maybe 300 calories.

If you blow a days diet, you could be off 1,000 ... 2000 ... 3000 or more calories.

Exercise, in the big picture, is mostly irrelevant for most folks.

Your friend is mostly right.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,489 Member
    Options
    Some folks having trouble with reading comprehension, some having trouble with math, and some having trouble with both.
  • 999tigger
    edited August 2015
    Options

If you blow a days diet, you could be off 1,000 ... 2000 ... 3000 or more calories.

Thats not the question being asked though. Changing the facts to suit your answer is lame. Its the OPs thread and they are asking the question. Have you bothered to read what the OP asked and read the responses or did you just jump in?
  • ThomasWright1997
    ThomasWright1997 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    cdahl383 wrote: »
    Got into a discussion with some friends the other day regarding diet and exercise and losing weight, etc. One of my friends said that exercise does not help you lose weight, it's 100% diet. I disagreed and said that whether you take in less calories (diet) or burn more calories (exercise), if you're in a deficit you'll lose weight, therefore exercise does in fact help you lose weight. She disagreed with me still.

Your thoughts?

You are right, exercise does help. But it doesn't really do much unless you eat less that 1500 or so calories per day. You can't burn that much through exercise, and so diet plays a much bigger role in weight loss. Granted you should exercise too, but the effect is minimal compared to diet.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

Thats not the question being asked though. Changing the facts to suit your answer is lame. Its the OPs thread and they are asking the question. Have you bothered to read what the OP asked and read the responses or did you just jump in?

The question was "Your thoughts?". That leaves a lot of room for things to talk about, including what he said.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    BTW. my thoughts are, the ones who really need to lose weight won't be burning enough calories during their workouts to make it matter much, just because their physical capacities aren't there yet where they would have the endurance necessary, so for them, exercise doesn't help all that much. Not 0% though.
    And on the other hand, the ones able to burn enough calories from exercise alone to create a significant deficit on a daily basis don't need to lose weight and usually exercise because they like it, not to create a deficit.
  • 999tigger
    Options

The question was "Your thoughts?". That leaves a lot of room for things to talk about, including what he said.

The basis of the Op was does it or does it not HELP, it wasnt is it essential or not.

Disagree with you on the other point, plenty of people burn significant calories just by walking or swimming consistently. It can be used to give them extra calories to eat or add to the deficit. Significant is a bit subjective, but 250, 500 a day isnt anything to be sniffed at. I found it highly helpful from the start. Thast not to say it doesnt start with food moderation, but saying it doesnt help all that much is pretty flawed becayse it depends how much an individual does or doesnt do. If you do benefit from burned calories, then you have to do quite a lot and its easier to not eat 500 calories than burn 500, but thats a different subject.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I am beginning to see why the obesity problem is so bad in the US and other countries, and most diets fail.

It seems to me by reading this and other threads, that most people only use the CI part of CICO, and think that the CO part is less important, and many think that it does not even count for anything.

Maybe it should just be CI.

I am also learning that many people go to one extreme or the other (too much diet or too much exercise), and I think that too much exercise is just as bad as not enough exercise.

The average person is capable of obtaining a good fitness level with an hour of cardio 3 to 4 times a week, and an hour of muscular 3 to 4 times a week. That is 6 to 8 hours a week to keep your body healthy, and it does not have to be extreme either. Once you get to a good fitness level, it takes even less to maintain it.

Once that is done, diet becomes les and less important, because your body is in a state where it can maintain a healthy weight pretty much all by itself as long as you eat a variety of healthy foods, and don't gorge yourself on crap.

So, if you want to use just calories to control your weight, diet IS the most important thing, because it is the ONLY thing.

But, if you want to maintain a healthy body weight without having to constantly count every calorie for eternity, then exercise IS the most important thing, and calories become secondary, because you only have to not gorge yourself.

My way of summing this up is...

CI - bad
    CO - bad
    CICO - good

All things must have a balance grasshopper... :)
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    BTW. my thoughts are, the ones who really need to lose weight won't be burning enough calories during their workouts to make it matter much, just because their physical capacities aren't there yet where they would have the endurance necessary, so for them, exercise doesn't help all that much. Not 0% though.
    And on the other hand, the ones able to burn enough calories from exercise alone to create a significant deficit on a daily basis don't need to lose weight and usually exercise because they like it, not to create a deficit.
    Swimming! The fat doesn't hold us fatties back in the pool.

I tired running and I don't know if I have old knees that have suffered too much or if I was just too fat at 170-180 to do it without pain, but I couldn't run. I hope to try again when I'm like 140-145.

Swimming, though, EVERYONE can do. And burn a whole lot of calories! Nothing beats swimming for a great workout. You get cardio and resistance, you stay cool (don't get all hot or sweaty), it's easy on the joints and the fat doesn't hold you back even a little.

Just have to add my plug for swimming each and every time anyone suggests that fat people can't get as good a workout as those who are more fit.

Everyone can swim! And swimming is great exercise!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    My share is not ridiculous, and it is in line with the path the conversation has taken (read prior comments). If you (you in the general sense, not you personally) don't learn how to create a calorie deficit through food first, then how will you keep the weight off if you find yourself unable to exercise?

Jumping to edge cases is an admission of defeat.

• conqueringsquidlette
    conqueringsquidlette Posts: 383 Member
    Options

This is one of the reasons exercise is so depressing and demoralizing for me, personally. Spend forever just talking myself into going and I get all of 72 calories burned while I'm there. :|
  • Mr_Knight
    edited August 2015
    Options
    bcalvanese wrote: »
    I am beginning to see why the obesity problem is so bad in the US and other countries, and most diets fail.

It's as bad as the "all calories are equal" nonsense that gets paraded as gospel around here.

People continually getting sidetracked (allow themselves to sidetrack) into failure because a one-liner that is true in some vague theoretical unicorn-like scenario is taken as being meaningful out in the real world.

All calories are not equal, and exercise is extremely important for long term weight management.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    My share is not ridiculous, and it is in line with the path the conversation has taken (read prior comments). If you (you in the general sense, not you personally) don't learn how to create a calorie deficit through food first, then how will you keep the weight off if you find yourself unable to exercise?

Jumping to edge cases is an admission of defeat.

Says you. Lol. Nice try. ;)

Exercise is wonderful and I love it, but I don't excercise to ßuppoty my eating, I eat to fuel my body for exercise. Likewise, if I'm sedentary or chose not to exercise, then I would need to fuel my body accordingly.

And your blanket statement about those who say all calories being created as equal is a red herron.

CICO WISE all calories are created equal, but not all food of same calories are created equal is when it comes to nutrition.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Swimming! The fat doesn't hold us fatties back in the pool.

Inexpert swimmers often don't really burn that many calories swimming, though. I'm a pretty good (steady, been swimming all my life, done triathlons) swimmer, but slow, and I don't burn nearly so many calories in an hour of swimming as an hour of running. This was true even when I was much heavier.

Burning calories isn't all there is when it comes to exercise, though (which ironically is the point I think a lot of the "diet is what matters" people are trying to make, even though IMO you can't separate the significance of CI/CO--it just depends on how an individual wishes to approach it).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    bcalvanese wrote: »

It's as bad as the "all calories are equal" nonsense that gets paraded as gospel around here.

Huge leap given that most of the people claiming diet is what matters actually do exercise. (It's not my position; I think exercise matters just as much. However, I'm not going to argue the point by pretending that everyone making it doesn't exercise. Thus, how is it "sidetracking" them?)

Similarly, the people who argue that "a calorie is a calorie" when it comes to weight loss (like me) generally also think diet matters for health and for how sustainable a way of eating is, and try to eat healthy diets, often with serious attention to such things as getting lots of vegetables and adequate (or more than adequate) protein.

So again, how is this "sidetracking" us?

I just try to do others the courtesy of believing that they understand that some diets are healthier and more satisfying than others and that exercise is good for all kinds of reasons.

I agree with you that for most people (including me, not including those unable to exercise for various reasons) exercise is quite important for long-term weight management.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    CICO WISE all calories are created equal...

No, they are not, this has been demonstrated over and over and over again.

The choice of calories has a measurable and - depending on context - meaningful impact on the rate of weight loss for any given level of calorie intake.

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    CICO WISE all calories are created equal...

No, they are not, this has been demonstrated over and over and over again.

The choice of calories has a measurable and - depending on context - meaningful impact on the rate of weight loss for any given level of calorie intake.
    Where are these demonstrations, then?