Supposed to start today..but I'm actually embarrassed

Options

Replies

• BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 857 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Today, I actually went walking...yes I'm sore, sweaty, and a wee bit tired....but I feel AMAZING! Of course where I walked was near one of the busiest intersections and I just stayed focusing on my goals. Thank you all so much for the encouragement. It gave me the kick in the but to go out and do this.

Congratulations. That mountain you thought you saw before you, was nothing more than a pile of sand. Now that you have taken the initiative to walk over that pile of sand, you realize that you really do have the courage to achieve your goals.

One step forward at a time.
  • ejb06070
    ejb06070 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    YAY! I know it can be hard to get started, but it's great that you did. When I started in March, I felt super judged. I was 270 lbs. I would stop jogging every time I saw a car or a bicycle or thought there might be a person hiding in the bushes laughing at me. I knew I was heavy. I knew I jiggled. I knew my *kitten* was huge. Nothing new to me. I've lost just over 50 lbs. so far (I think I hit my first plateau, because usually my weight goes down a little each day, and now it's stayed about the same for the last 5 days or so... I look at it as a victory though, cause it means my body is happy with the changes I've made) and now, I don't care if someone sees me jogging, because my weight loss is for me, not for them.

Often, when people see me out exercising now, they'll smile, wave to me, talk to me about their days.. It's actually really encouraging.
  • Sandcastles61
    Sandcastles61 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Way to go <3
  • spookyface
    spookyface Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Walk a way there is less traffic you'll be more at ease I think. Indoor walking is good too when it's just to darn hot or cold out!
  • MsIndependent316
    MsIndependent316 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    ejb06070 wrote: »
    YAY! I know it can be hard to get started, but it's great that you did. When I started in March, I felt super judged. I was 270 lbs. I would stop jogging every time I saw a car or a bicycle or thought there might be a person hiding in the bushes laughing at me. I knew I was heavy. I knew I jiggled. I knew my *kitten* was huge. Nothing new to me. I've lost just over 50 lbs. so far (I think I hit my first plateau, because usually my weight goes down a little each day, and now it's stayed about the same for the last 5 days or so... I look at it as a victory though, cause it means my body is happy with the changes I've made) and now, I don't care if someone sees me jogging, because my weight loss is for me, not for them.

Often, when people see me out exercising now, they'll smile, wave to me, talk to me about their days.. It's actually really encouraging.

I used to run quite a bit. I miss it. I will get there once I get my stamina back up some but I'm happy for just starting
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Today, I actually went walking...yes I'm sore, sweaty, and a wee bit tired....but I feel AMAZING! Of course where I walked was near one of the busiest intersections and I just stayed focusing on my goals. Thank you all so much for the encouragement. It gave me the kick in the but to go out and do this.

oyslox9xh1ab.gif

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    ncfitbit wrote: »

oyslox9xh1ab.gif

Hahahah awesome gif!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Way to go, tick it off on your calendar and do the same again tomorrow. A bit further if you can. Well done for starting. remind yourself you have done it before.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It's way more important to get your food in order than to worry about what other people think of your exercise plan. Start there. That's where losing weight happens. In the kitchen. In privacy.

This.

I started with diet only. Then after 2 weeks I added exercise, and it was home videos.
  • ncfitbit
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

Hahahah awesome gif!

She can picture us all cheering for her. :)

• ncfitbit
    Options
    ano3ypie6vu8.png

A little more encouragement to keep going...
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options

Woohoo! Good for you! You've got this! :smiley:

• MsIndependent316
    Options
    ncfitbit wrote: »
    ano3ypie6vu8.png

A little more encouragement to keep going...

That's soo true!
  • mcburgerdevil
    mcburgerdevil Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I normally run/walk/bike in late evenings 9pm-11pm I have never ran during the day I could only imagine how I'm viewed to people walking down my street. I'm 5ft 6in and now 218 lbs and I have the daily strggle. When I first started I did in home workouts.
  • decotterell
    decotterell Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I don't know if they have one near you, but Planet Fitness is where I go. There is always a wide range of people at all different levels of fitness, The most comfortable place I've ever been.
  • drabbits2
    drabbits2 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Good for you OP! I sometimes still feel this way but it turns out that at the Y and on the lake trail where I walk there are all shapes and sizes and kinds of people out there for all kind of reason, most of which I will never know. When I see old people plodding along I think good for them for staying active. When I see young moms pushing teeny babies in their little joggers still with a little baby belly I think oh that was me 16 years ago and good for them for getting out. When I see amazingly fit people I think wow--that took a lot of work-good for them. When I see bigger folks I think yippee they are trying to be healthy like me! I am NOT trying to say everyone IS looking at you and judging you--just the opposite--I think all of us who are out moving our bodies in whatever way at whatever skill level we are share a goal--to be healthy. And we seem to be a friendly supportive bunch! Be so proud of every day that you are active!!!!! That is what matters!!!
  • GreenValli
    GreenValli Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options

I logged in today specifically to find out how you did and was so glad to read this!!!! I am elated to read that you feel amazing! I still sometimes don't really want to exercise, but then do it anyway and afterward I am so glad I did.

Ms Independent, you have friends here now. Be sure to connect with a few as friends. It sure helps to have support. I wish you the best. Keep at it and keep posting, too. I am so proud of you!

Remember your exercise and eating work together to help you lose weight and inches. Don't slack off on either one. Take one day at a time.

• MsIndependent316
    Options
    GreenValli wrote: »

I logged in today specifically to find out how you did and was so glad to read this!!!! I am elated to read that you feel amazing! I still sometimes don't really want to exercise, but then do it anyway and afterward I am so glad I did.

Ms Independent, you have friends here now. Be sure to connect with a few as friends. It sure helps to have support. I wish you the best. Keep at it and keep posting, too. I am so proud of you!

Remember your exercise and eating work together to help you lose weight and inches. Don't slack off on either one. Take one day at a time.

Aww thank you! I almost caved on eating out but stuck to my guns. I feel that my goal (even though it is fair away) is obtainable.
  • Nataysha88
    Nataysha88 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    This makes me so sad because it reminds me how I used to be so terrified to the point where I couldn’t’ even leave my house let alone walk into a gym... but I started small, a 10 minute walk outside around the block and then I built it up from there.
    6 years later and I'm still making steps to not be afraid anymore.. I've only just started using the male room at the gym!

But I go to the gym 5 days a week, I'm So Thankful that I made the decision all those years ago to just start.

it's horrible, it's uncomfortable and its hard but you will get stronger, It will get easier and you will survive.. and most of all you will build that confidence that has been holding you back all these years.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    Whoopee
    So glad you did it.

( I've been reading the thread but didn't comment because you were getting such good advice, but I have to give you a big cheer for getting out there).

Check in again after your next walk. Just remember- baby steps.

Cheers, h.