Will adding butter to season my veggies stall my weight loss??

Options
13»

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    m13a wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Butter is considered an animal source of fat. Sounds like the Smart Balance you have isn't butter. The light Smart Balance is a mix of various kinds of oils, among other things.

So butter is not vegetarian???
    REAL Butter is from cream. Cream is from milk... Cows. Some vegetarians have milk products and some don't. Fake butter is from different types of oils. Read your ingredient labels.

Kerrygold grass-fed butter is my favorite. Delicious!

Wouldn't they just be vegan then? I'm a vegetarian and I don't get this whole "lacto ovo" distinction.

Vegan wasn't coined until 1944 and also tends to mean a way of life in which you don't use animal products at all, like no leather. People who have a vegetarian diet for health or other reasons MAY eat dairy and eggs or they may not, which is why the lacto-ovo thing.
  • samiamorisseau
    samiamorisseau Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    How many tubs do you use?

Of course it won't stall your weight loss. Just eat less if it bothers you

I used a spoon for butter the spoon is small is that that??

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    im not putting too much butter just a little I don't like olive oil I used smart balance butter

If it fits your calorie goal then it is fine.
    Use the amount of oil, butter or spread you want that fits your goal. Measure/weigh it and log it.

But is butter the healthy kind of fat??

Smart Balance is plant based -- made mostly out of canola oil.
    That is what hubby and I eat.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    as long as it fits in your calories, no.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Why not measure and log it? Then you will see if you are within calories or not.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

A "spoonful" isn't an accurate way to measure. Spoons come in different sizes and people may fill them differently. If you want to log accurately, you will need to weigh it.
  • ShashayLee
    ShashayLee Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I just started weighing my butter & realized my idea of a teaspoon was way off, more like a very large tablespoon. Found out i added almost 200 calories to my supper last night ouch. I highly recommend a foodscale for pretty much everything lol
  • samiamorisseau
    samiamorisseau Posts: 107 Member
    Options

A "spoonful" isn't an accurate way to measure. Spoons come in different sizes and people may fill them differently. If you want to log accurately, you will need to weigh it.

How do I weigh butter?

• LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Use real butter. Weigh it. I find 3 grams is enough for most purposes. YMMV.

Buy a food scale, it makes dieting so much more effective you'll wonder how you lived without it.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Butter is "vegetarian" but not "vegan". It is an animal product, but it is an animal product that the animal itself intends as food (milk), and which (barring use of rBST) is not abnormal or do harm to the animal to produce.

Add: whether you eat milk products as a vegetarian depends on why you are vegetarian. If it is out of kindness to animals then you may choose not to drink milk or to drink only certain brands known to treat their cows well. If it is out of health concerns then you'd have to look into whether the kinds of fats, casein, and lactose in milk is okay for you medically.

Some vegetarians also eat unfertilized eggs on the theory that they could not have become chickens anyway, and the chicken produces them whether they get eaten or not. Again concerns about animal welfare may make you picky about which brands are acceptable to you. If you live in a semi-rural area you may also find local farmers with genuine free-range chickens roaming their farms as insect control, who sell surplus eggs--though there's a risk of getting a fertilized egg in the mix in that situation.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    no
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

How do I weigh butter?

With a scale.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Scales are better, especially with things like butter. Tablespoons - you'd think every set of measuring spoons would have the same amount for a TBSP, but no! Many are way off and not accurate at all. You think it's a TBSP, but it can be more or less than that. Some are off by nearly 1/3. It's crazy.

Weigh it if you want the best estimate.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    log it. eat it and enjoy

so long as it fits in your calorie allotment you are good to go