Living with parents makes calorie counting very difficult :/

Options
13»

Replies

• ajc1309
    ajc1309 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    When I lived with my parents I just made my own food most of the time. If my parents cooked then I would portion control what they put on my plate or just didn't finish the whole meal if it looked too much. I also exercised daily so I have some extra calories to eat back.
  • CristalSCarter
    CristalSCarter Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm in your exact same position. I'm 21 and i just graduated from college but the past couple of years I've been in the process of losing weight. It seems like breakfast and lunch are very easy to stay in control of but dinner is difficult. I started offering to cook dinner a lot or to keep track of calories i scan the ingredients someone uses and save the recipe. I'll even have healthier substitutes like quinoa instead of rice.
  • rebeccahunt718
    rebeccahunt718 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have that issue with my husband. He is with me for wanting to loose weight and look less "flabby", however, he doesn't think I eat enough. Also, he doesn't monitor what he puts into each meal so dinner can easily become 700-1000 calories before anyone realizes it.
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I am reading some sound suggestions.
    In general, you must respectfully take charge and just communicate this to your folks.
    They will understand in time.
  • jesikalovesyou
    jesikalovesyou Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    Sorry if this offends

But

Some of your families sound weird. :smiley:

Uncomfortable about you weighing yourself? Feeling weird about weighing food? Keeping ingredients of foods secret?

Do you guys weigh yourself naked in the middle of the lounge room while your family is watching TV? I could see that making people uncomfortable :smiley:

Right?!

It just sounds like the OP is making excuses. Does her step-mom throw ingredient boxes away as soon as she adds it to her recipe? Or does the OP just sit in her room until dinner is ready and now she can complain that she doesn't know what is in the dishes?
  • helenbenzie75
    helenbenzie75 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I lived away from home for four years, only moving back so I could save for a deposit on a house. Anyway, I had the same problem. I tried to show my mum and dad they way, they are both morbidly obese but I just can't seem to change them. So my sister and I do a food shop for ourselves and cook for ourselves, simples. On the rare occasion my mum cooks a family meal say lasagne, then she does weigh things for me but on a day to day basis my sister and I sort ourselves out :smile:
  • RunningRoundParis
    RunningRoundParis Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your suggestions :) and especially for those who refrained from insulting me :p I will try to change things to make calorie counting more possible