Intermittent fasting

Options
2»

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I only fast when I want to become catabolic

So never lol.... Jk, but really, just focus on a caloric deficit. Sometimes IF can cause a ED due to the fact of binging (even if you're in a deficit), it can still kinda screw with you/:

eating in 8 hours is binging? right.

Nope, not what I said. I said it can lead to binging for people who want to feel satisfied and use it in that sense rather than the "benefits". Eat how you want, but I'm just trying to help out and give my opinion/ preference to a question asked on a forum.

I'm only speaking for the every other day diet here, but surprisingly, you are not able to binge like you thought you would on "feast" days. Research on it shows that it's muscle sparing - More so than constant calorie restriction - and that on average most would eat no more than 110-115% of their usual intake on the days they are allowed to eat without restriction. I believe that. On diet day you see me vowing to eat all the foodz but when the next day comes it's just a "meh.. I've had enough I don't feel like having more". I've read that other forms of IF are also muscle sparing.
  • freak4iron
    freak4iron Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    freak4iron wrote: »
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    It's just a dietary preference/ schedule. Whether you're eating 2500 cals in 8 hours or 14 hours, you're body composition will remain the same.

A number of studies are now showing that fasting periods of 16 hours or greater increase the rate at which the body metabolizes fast, even under isocaloric conditions.

This makes perfect sense to me.

Makes perfect sense huh? Ok Then You go ahead and try eating once every 24hrs also you could pour a Gallon of hot sAuce over every bit of food(cause that supposedly speed up metabolism), or drink two Gallons of water For every bite you eat, or eat your candy bar with the wrapper still on it while upside down. Do what ever you want. Let me know how your pseudoscience diet methods work. I'm gona stick with the realistic stuff that actually gives me results.

Jeez rightio then :huh:

And that is pretty much exactly what I did, minus the "hot sauce"...

I ate once a day, 500 calories, every second day.
    On the alternate days I ate close to my TDEE. I had nearly 28lbs to lose, 24 of those came off in 4mths doing IF.

I'd say those are pretty decent RESULTS.

You are missing my point honey. I'm not debating the fact you lost weight. I lost over fifty pounds eating with only a spork... Assume that is a true statement....does that mean sporks are great weight loss tools? Hell freaking no. Quit encouraging eating disorder behavior!

• MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    16:8 here too... 'cause I sleep about 8 hours a night, so don't have the option of eating then. :smiley:

The only way I've tried to modify my calorie timing is to eat a larger breakfast & tiny dinner.
    (Doesn't always work out that way, of course.)
    Why?
    Because science.
    Here are excerpts from & links to studies.
    Feel free to browse PubMed (start at the 'abstract' links below) to find science to support your opinions (if you can).

"The [large breakfast] group showed greater weight loss and waist circumference reduction ... fasting glucose,
    insulin [&] triglycerides ... decreased significantly to a greater extent in the [large breakfast] group."
    In addition, hunger was less and satiety was greater.
    Abstract: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23512957
    Full text:
    http://genetics.doctorsonly.co.il/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Jakubowicz-at-al-Obesity-2013-oby20460.pdf

"subjects assigned to high caloric intake during breakfast lost significantly more weight than those assigned to
    high caloric intake during the dinner
    "
    Abstract: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24467926
    Full text: http://www.tradewindsports.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Nutrient-Timing-and-Obesity-2014.pdf

"data suggest that a low-calorie Mediterranean diet with a higher amount of calories in the first part of the day
    could establish a greater reduction in fat mass and improved insulin sensitivity than a typical daily diet
    ."
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24809437
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    It's just a dietary preference/ schedule. Whether you're eating 2500 cals in 8 hours or 14 hours, you're body composition will remain the same.

A number of studies are now showing that fasting periods of 16 hours or greater increase the rate at which the body metabolizes fast, even under isocaloric conditions.

Makes perfect sense huh? Ok Then You go ahead and try eating once every 24hrs also you could pour a Gallon of hot sAuce over every bit of food(cause that supposedly speed up metabolism), or drink two Gallons of water For every bite you eat, or eat your candy bar with the wrapper still on it while upside down. Do what ever you want. Let me know how your pseudoscience diet methods work. I'm gona stick with the realistic stuff that actually gives me results.

On the alternate days I ate close to my TDEE. I had nearly 28lbs to lose, 24 of those came off in 4mths doing IF.

You are missing my point honey. I'm not debating the fact you lost weight. I lost over fifty pounds eating with only a spork... Assume that is a true statement....does that mean sporks are great weight loss tools? Hell freaking no. Quit encouraging eating disorder behavior!

But what exactly is disordered about it? Most monks in the buddhist traditions and in hinduism too, do not eat after noon. This sets up an IF pattern, with a long fast until the next morning. What exactly is "disordered" about it?
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    15:9 here. I eat dinner around 5pm, stop eating for the night, and then eat breakfast just before 8am (by then I've been awake for a few hours and have already worked out). I'm not doing it to follow a specific diet, it just works for my schedule.
  • JoshLikesBeer
    JoshLikesBeer Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    There's more than just the weight loss benefits. Fasting also induces autophagy, which, in limited amounts, is a very good thing for a number of reasons.

There is an intermittent fasting discussion group here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/49-intermittent-fasting
  • quintoespada
    quintoespada Posts: 58 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    just because you disagree with it doesn't make you right, especially if studies prove it works for some people. it's just like keto, which works for me. and please for the life of you don't compare eating extra to binge eating disorder. that's not a thing. i have BED. it's serious - you eat thousands and thousands of calories until you're sick. it's how i gained weight to begin with.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

Maybe due to the fact you're in a fasted state that you're oxidizing fat, but how does that benefit you when you break the fast and ingest the same amount of calories as you burnt? There are a number of studies everywhere, but I'll stick with the proven one of calories in vs calories out.

It doesn't violate CICO, which is inviolable.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Fasting is not "disordered eating behavior" - it is an eating pattern we specifically evolved to thrive on.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

Many people, even those who aren't dieting, miss breakfast, have one meal, get busy and have a day barely eating anything, get sick and don't feel like eating, get distracted and skip a meal, go to bed and fast all night...etc. Skipping meals or having lighter intake days is a very natural behavior. In fact most naturally thin people unconsciously utilize it all the time. You don't "contract" an eating disorder from a behavior. Eating disorders are deeply psychologically rooted. Modifying eating schedule to more easily control calorie intake in a way that is less stressful to the person is just another great weight loss tool.

By the same token you could argue that counting calories isn't natural and therefore is disordered, same for drastically cutting down on carbs for those going low carb, or sitting at the table comparing your food portions in terms of fists and fingers. All of these are not natural behaviors, but they are used as a means to an end: reducing calorie intake.
  • accidentalpancake
    accidentalpancake Posts: 484 Member
    Options

You should just stop talking now.

Those who have researched IF know the benefits and drawbacks. You obviously have done no similar research.