yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Better question: why does it matter?

This
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    As a general rule to my eyes a BMI of 21-25 seldom look thin or thick. I am down from a 35 to 27.5 and still look thick especially in a side shot. In my region of the USA thin has a negative connotation but then 'thick' look is the 'IN' look it seems. :)
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    "Thin", "slim", "skinny" are all kind of subjective and based on perception, and bodyweight and BMI are poor indicators. Body mass composition, proportion, posture/how you carry yourself, etc. can all have bearing on how you appear independent on your weight and BMI.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    It's subjective. Slim to me is bottom of healthy weight and thin is under weight. My bmi I'd 19 and I don't feel very slim. I like a very lean aesthetic.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Adjectives are mostly personal perception and cultural learning. I use slim, skinny and thin interchangably.

IDK that I could tie it to a BMI, but if your BMI is 21 then I'd probably consider you thin unless you have a higher than normal BF%.
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 863 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    In my opinion, what is important, is how you view yourself, what your doctor says about your current health status, and that you are loved for you who are by those close in your life.

It doesn't matter what everyone else thinks on the subject. Live yourself for yourself and be happy being you.
  • DeborahKilpatrick
    DeborahKilpatrick Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm probably getting too hung up on it. This time last year I would have been over the moon to be this weight and would definitely have felt thin if I'd suddenly dropped to it.
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Don't ask a guy because you will never hear what you want to hear, or think you should hear. It is always a set up. I wish guys would stop falling for that trick question.
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Don't ask a guy because you will never hear what you want to hear, or think you should hear. It is always a set up. I wish guys would stop falling for that trick question.
    If a lady is asking a question under the pretense of wanting honesty when she really only wants to hear what she wants to hear, that is her fault and problem, in my opinion.

Not all guys are the same. So, the "Don't ask a guy because..." is not a logical statement.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Why does the label matter so much to you?

• DeborahKilpatrick
    Options
    Yeah, but there's honesty and there's brutal honesty! I don't want to be lied to, but something like 'You look great and you're doing really well, but you're not skinny' or something would have been fine. Even 'You're doing well but you still have a bit to go' would have been better than 'You are not a thin person' lol.
  • DeborahKilpatrick
    Options
    It's not the label. It's at what point can I stop thinking of myself as chubby. And if I do keep thinking of myself as chubby, am I being silly.

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    But if he knows that you have a negative feeling about the word thin, it is natural for him to think that telling you that you aren't thin would make you happy.

You pretty much set him up to fail and then when he did, you got upset about it. Great partnering skills you have there.
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Yeah, but there's honesty and there's brutal honesty! I don't want to be lied to, but something like 'You look great and you're doing really well, but you're not skinny' or something would have been fine. Even 'You're doing well but you still have a bit to go' would have been better than 'You are not a thin person' lol.

So, I'm a bit confused here then. If "thin" has a negative connotation where you are from, why is saying "You are not a thin person" a bad thing?
  • jesikalovesyou
    jesikalovesyou Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Ask the doctor. How you look is something you cannot get a straight answer on from friends and family. They will always use nice words because they love/like you and it would seem mean to answer straight up. If they have any manners at all, they'll try not to answer the question and will then say something nice. I do it with my friends, too. Everyone does it.

Sme people get ridiculous with it and start saying you're thin/skinny long before you are. I just became a Normal BMI and as soon as I mentioned it, people went overboard with words like "skinny." I'm still fat and they're saying "skinny."

You can love them, but can't trust them, lol.

The doctor's job is to tell when you're too fat or too thin. So, ask next time you're there. You'll get an honest answer about whether you're weight is healthy or not. He isn't going to tell you how you look because that's creepy and he doesn't care about how you look. But he will tell you if you should or shouldn't lose more weight, He won't lie because doesn't care and it's his job to tell the truth. :)

YES! I get this all the time! I am still considered obese (I have to lose about 6lbs to get out of that category) and I have family calling me skinny. It's more like, "Wow, you're half the whale you used to be!"
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    It's not the label. It's at what point can I stop thinking of myself as chubby. And if I do keep thinking of myself as chubby, am I being silly.

You can stop thinking of yourself as chubby when YOU think you are at an appropriate weight. Why would your husband need to tell you this?
  • jesikalovesyou
    jesikalovesyou Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    My husband will randomly look at me and say, "You're so beautiful!" and when I'm worrying about weighing and measuring my food, he will comment, "You don't have to lose weight, I love how you look." This is because my husband loves the girl inside me. Not because he is wanting something. And also, because he has fallen for the "Am I fat?" trick before.
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Wow, your other half said kind of a jerk thing. Thin and slim are words that mean different things to different people. I personally consider parts of me thin and parts of me slim. However, I don't ask other people to categorize me, that way leads to hurt feelings. If you are happy then it doesn't matter.

Why does it make her partner a jerk? Because he/she isn't a liar? A bmi of 21 is not "thin" it's right in the middle of normMal and no where near skinny or slim or whatever unless you are rocking a really low body fat.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options

You can start thinking of yourself however you want, whenever you want. Besides, your body is not your SELF, it's just the shell that you are walking around in.

Honestly, if I were your boyfriend, I would be annoyed as heck to have to have to have this conversation with you.
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options

In my opinion your partner can not win with that question. Telling you you aren't thin isn't being "brutally" honesty, come on. You asked a tricky manipulative question and there is no winning in it for anyone. Move on from it or dwell on it and be miserable about the progress you have made. And keep in mind maybe your mom was the one lying or that has a distorted perception. My mom has thought that I'm wasting away every since I dropped below 115 and constantly tells me I look like I weigh 5 lbs. if I listened to anyone's opinion but my own I would trying to make them happy instead of myself.