WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2105

Options

Replies

• oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Happy August, everybody! I was out of town for about five days and skimmed through the end of July and am only up to page 4 of August now. Have been just logging in all along, not reading. Net calories were not too bad on this vacation, but I still am waiting a few days to get back on the scale. Welcome to the new ladies! Will try to get through the rest of the pages later, but for now I think the work overlords excpect me to get some work done. Vacation time was lots more fun than working.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,067 Member
    Options
    Lenora highlight the star by the title of this page. It should turn yellow. Then when you hit the gray star at the top it should direct you to here. I need to remind myself to do this when the new month starts.
  • mamenat
    mamenat Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi Connie,
    I play the piano. Good for the soul. I used to volunteer a lot. But I'm a professional player. Used to play in night clubs. Now, I play classical music. I have just "finished" the first Arabesque by Debusey, and a movie sound trac piece, called Dawn, that was featured in Pride and Predudice (Kyra
    Knightly). I spend hours every day, researching new pieces and polishing old ones. Good to meet someone whose doing the same thing. What piece are you excited about now?
    Mame
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Wow, I've gotten my hands on the iPad two days in a row!!! Some rain overnight but gorgeous outside now, we have been truly lucky on the weather here. Dinner last night was amazing, both dd and I were very impressed with the food....and yes, brought half back here for lunch today......she had evoo and garlic pasta and I had lasagna. Friends were a needed "comfortable buddy boost". Seeing a cousin for a movie today and an old neighbor.

Heather.......new Forest sounds interesting, will look it up. The cousin whose home I am at is a great traveler and he raves about the Paris sewers.

Sharon.....Wow, hugs to you, hope things get better.....

Nancy......Vent away! anytime.....can you call the supervisor of the tech who came to your home, or the place where you bought it? Being w/out your clothes and not being able to do wash for that length of time is unacceptable!

Peach.......Sweet pic,!! loved it.

DJ.......Happy anniversary!! Wonderful pic, beautiful outfit and you, dear lady, are gorgeous!

Beth....Thoroughly enjoyed our foray into your state! I hope your older son evens out w/o his Meds and major congrats to the younger on his super performances!!! Hope he snagged some great college money!

Mary......Did I read a few pages ago that you saw Jay Leno in person? If so, I'm green with envy! My coconut oil habit is suffering.....need to get better at that when we get home.

Ca turtle....Loved your pic, thanks!

Janet Mcc......link would not open on here.....too bad, yours are always interesting.

Rori......new found respect for all your traveling!! Six hotels in six days is exhausting! I saw someone walking two cats on leashes and thought of you in NY. Smiled at the cat bed areas......have been sharing with Gemma more than I want to as she is thrilled to have dd and I sleeping in the same room.....rolled over yesterday morning onto a toy on my pillow!

Joyce.......Excellent advice to Sylvia. Condolences to you on the loss of your friend.

Welcome newbies!
    Yanniejannie
    Pa., currently
  • mamenat
    mamenat Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Dear Lisa from WTex,
    That letter was fun! More, please. Published a couple things, did you? I want to see. A power struggle at the Restaurant....excellent....what adventure! You have added to my life with you wit. May all the universe bend to you will.
    Mame
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Alison: You are in my thoughts. You've given Tom some good advice. I hope he will give your ideas a try. :flowerforyou:

Heather: Your approach to problem solving is much like mine except that you miss out on the part where I ignore the problem and pretend it doesn't exist as long as possible before I move on to steps 1, 2, & 3. I suspect strongly that your system is more efficient. :bigsmile:

Lisa: You have a big challenge on your hands with that restaurant. My grandma was widowed with 5 children and went into the restaurant business because her only marketable skill was cooking. She ultimately did very well, but everyone in the family worked hard in the restaurant. It is not a business for the lazy. She had several restaurants over time, and I remember the last one. I was a very little girl and the restaurant was called the Bluebird. None of her children were lazy and none went into the restaurant business. :noway:

Carol: Lovely picture. :heart:

Back to the doctor I go this morning to discuss medications with a nurse. This is because DH wanted me to ask about adderol for ADD. We'll see how it goes. I've taken that trip enough times this week to last me a while.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

August Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,590 Member
    Options
    morning peeps and new peepeeps -

lhannon - you should be VERY proud of that waist! and those size 12 jeans! i love ya anyway, even with your tucked in shirt! ;0)... i think that is the universal thing, tucked in, i feel skinny, left out, i'm feelin ughhh... i still don't tuck in my shirts because of style and i rarely feel skinny even though in this room i may be.

peachstategal- awwwwwwwwwww

sandiremedios - i still don't know anyone by name, i don't try to remember, i just know their profile name. i don't expect anyone to know my real name, ain't no thang to me. just start talking, we're here for ya!!
  • pipcd34
    Options
    poerava - here's a better one... this face it looks like he's sayin, "dad... did you just fart?"love your cat mat hahaha!

zr8avvv0v6nd.jpg
  • pipcd34
    Options
    s7y7za5owo6l.jpg

2zz93tvs4g7r.jpg

love that kid
  • Dragonflize
    Dragonflize Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Day two on this thread. I don't know people well enough to comment. I'm still trying to recognize the names. Have managed to lose a little this weekend. It's more about bringing structure and accountability to myself this month. Setting up schedules, monitoring activity and calories. Of course the goal is to lose weight, but right now I'm just trying to get the proper tools in place.
    I hope everyone has a great day and I'm sorry some of you have burdens other than weight to carry. You seem like such a warm caring group of individuals. Hugs to all.
    Sandi

• Dragonflize
    Dragonflize Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I really dont know how to post here ... I really dont know where my posts are going
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Morning Ladies,

Katla, I have been the same way with goals of losing “x” pounds a month. Why can I lose more if I don’t list a number of pounds? smiley-confused005.gif I hope the doc likes the looks of your bones, too.

Rori, cute cat map. Lol

Joyce, wonderful recommendations to Sylvia. Gosh there are a lot of smart ladies on here!!!

Nancy, I can understand your frustration over the dryer. I just hate that you have let it upset you so much. I firmly believe that even that kind of stress and aggravation can affect our health and wellbeing. If it’s one of those things you can’t do anything about, do your best to “let it go”. OMG, now I have read the rest of your post and don’t even know what to say??? smiley-happy089.gif I guess I could say, “when it rains it pours” or just give you the nickname that DH had as a young man. I’ll start calling you “Poor Devil”. I hope you know this is said with love and what I think you really need is a big ((((Hug)))). Now things have to get better.

Sharon, gosh that other Grandmother sounds like a wild one! What is with men? If DH doesn’t go to counseling does he think that will make things better? smiley-happy100.gifDUH! (((Hugs)))

Allison, would Tom consider writing down some of his issues, complaints, or concerns? It might be worth offering as a possibility. So proud of you going to the gym. As you know with most things in life, you just need to take it one day at a time and remember we are all with you. smiley-happy080.gif

Heather, you have a wonderful and smart way to approach a problem. I think the thing that many of us don’t do is ask for help. Like you say, there are so many avenues for it these days. Good for you on planning a dinner for tonight, cause we all know what happens when we don’t plan. Congrats on that email to your DS. The first step has been made. Go gurl!!!

Lisa, thanks for my morning giggle. Love your description of the night cook. smiley-char025.gif I was wondering if business has changed (u or down) since you got there? Sometimes just hearing of a change in management will increase business in a place. Keep up the good work and keep us informed. Hey this may be the basis of another book?

Miriam, that is unreal that there are no storage units within 100 miles. I wish I had some extra cash and I would come up there and build some. A day of rest does sound in order. Glad you at least had the garden shed.

Carol, what a great picture of the grands. It’s wonderful that they liked the first day of school.

MNMargaret, what’s a Top Ten Weather day? We finally did get rain yesterday and a lot last night. badday.gif MY DD in OR got some a couple of days ago but only enough to clear some of the smoke. Doesn’t it feel great to clean out and have space? I just don’t do it too often.

Sandi, there was definitely a learning curve for me when I started MFP. I had never counted calories or tracked my intake. The thing I found most helpful on here was planning. It will get easier, so hang in there.

Yannie, I think it is so sweet that you are sharing your bed with Gemma. smiley-sleep012.gif Oh and that she is sharing her toys with you. LOL Glad you are making the most of your extended vacation.

Katla, I’m glad you haven’t forgotten the way to the doctor’s office. Is DH wanting to see if they will give him Adderall or have they prescribed it? I actually had a friend that got her doc to give it to her, just to help with weight loss. smiley-sad020.gif

Pip, love, love, love the pictures of Yogi!!! What a doll!!!!

welcome.gif to any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

Thanks for the comments on my picture. I’m one that’s not crazy about having my picture taken but I do love seeing what you all look like so figured it was only fair. I care so much for you ladies and I celebrate your successes and weep for your struggles. You are such a strong group of women and I feel so fortunate to have found you. Thank you for being here. I want you each to have the best day possible. rose.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • pipcd34
    Options
    dragonflize - we read your posts, they are going to the group room. just tell us bout yourself
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,270 Member
    Options
    Katla - I do quite a bit of that prelude too! Less so now than i used to. But I know I always feel sooooo much better when I get a grip and get on the job. It took me a long time to realise that. Then it is always important to realise when to let go. Banging your head against a brick wall just gives you a headache. :laugh: DH is much more inclined to accept the status quo than I am, but I reckon there is no harm in asking. Sometimes just making that first call to find out what is available can open amazing doors.
    We once emailed the CEO of a company to complain about our old, useless elliptical when we had been getting nowhere with the shop. Incredible stepchange in the response! The PA was on the phone! The old one was whipped away and a new one was brought and put together by experts in no time. They even cleaned our carpet because of a drop of oil. But then DH does write a very good complaining letter and we make sure we buy our stuff from a good company with a reputation to lose.
    I have had a LOT of help from different kinds of therapists and health professionals over the years and recieved superb support during my breast cancer. I rang the Samaritans twice when I was really low and both times they were a very great help to me. We have some superb voluntary organisations who can hold your hand through all kinds of troubles and point you in the right direction.
    I hope I will find the courage on Thursday to talk to my son. I think I will. Emailing him was an irrevocable step in the right direction.

Love Heather x
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    joanl9 wrote: »
    Cheri - Thanks for posting your activity progress for July earlier today. I saw it before lunch time, and it kept me out of the Mickey D's drive-thru and away from the French fries calling my name. Very inspirational!
    Joan

Glad to have been of assistance! It keeps me going also as I have not lost as much weight as I have expected to have this far into the weight loss journey it reminds me that I am making positive life choices in eating healthy and being active. :)

Cheri in sunny NE Ohio
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,067 Member
    Options
    DJ our weatherman call a day a top ten if it is in the mid 70's, sunny, and little breeze i.e. wonderful day to be outside. Great day for a patio lunch.
    :heart: MNMargaret
  • Charm4u76132
    Charm4u76132 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Thanks to those who commented and made suggestions on the locked washing machine problem.

Called GE repair again. Told them that having WET clothes locked in a washer for 1-2 weeks it totally UNACCEPTABLE! After I INSISTED they do an emergency door UNLOCK, the Customer Service Agent called Dispatch. Was on hold for 10 minutes.

She validated that the emergency door unlock is a simple procedure. Confirmed my strong feeling that the Technician was being lazy yesterday and just blowing me off. Grrr! Dispatch is having him come back late this afternoon. They will call and let me know what time.

Also, I'm going to at La z Boy and picking out a new recliner after work today.
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Joyce, what great advice! Thank you so much! I will try to talk to my son about these things you have suggested. The closest Alpha support group is about 200 miles away, so that's not really a possibility. I'm on one of the online groups and occasionally get some really good advice there too. I'm not sure my son is doing anything like that. At least he never mentions it.

I went walking with my friend this morning. We had missed a few days because she had a blister on her foot, so I was walkingon my own. It's so much more fun with a friend. She is bringing her two granddaughters to my studio this afternoon to play with clay. That should be lots of fun. But now I have less than two hours to get back there and clean up a little so there is room to play. I'm kind of a pig in the studio and often just leave stuff where it falls. But when company comes I do try to clean up a little.

Gotta go get busy. Have a great day!

Sylvia
  • Charm4u76132
    Options
    Made some progress in my apt. the past 2 days. Thoroughly cleaned the bathroom and totally de-cluttered the countertops. However, need to go back and find permanent storage places for the small items I tossed into one big drawer. Ugh.

De-cluttered my kitchen counter tops. Unloaded and then reloaded the dishwasher (was way behind on this). Disinfected and shined the kitchen sink.

Today will dust and vacuum. Want to do my whole apt. (If not, Plan B: bedroom, bathroom, kitchen and front entry. Then finish the dining room and living room tomorrow.) Since I've been way behind on housework the past 2 months, it feels GREAT to finally make some progress!

Have a terrific Tuesday! - Nancy in FW, TX
  • Charm4u76132
    Options
    Wanted to also mention a high priority for today: kitchen cleaning and disinfecting the stove top, microwave and countertops. Affirmation: 'I deserve to live in a clean, healthy and organized home.'