Cottage cheese

Options
MadisonCasey96
MadisonCasey96 Posts: 7 Member
I want to try cottage cheese but I don't know any good recipes to make it taste good (I've heard its not very good plain) If anyone has any good simple recipes such as spice mixes or anything like that I would really appreciate it! I'm more into salty or spicy food than sweet so mixing with jelly or fruit doesn't really apeal to me.

Replies

• las07s
    las07s Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I make whole wheat lasagna (or stuffed shells) with cottage cheese instead of ricotta. spinach, chicken breast, sundried tomatoes, zucchini, mushrooms, etc..
    As a snack, I eat them with Mandarin oranges, but my mom swears by cantaloupe with black pepper.
  • deannaaaaaaaaa
    deannaaaaaaaaa Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I always put a little jam in mine, right now I'm using Peach Amaretto from Stonewall Kitchen :)
  • faye_machine
    faye_machine Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Most of the time when people say they hate cottage cheese, its due to the texture/look. I don't find it very appealing to look at, but the taste and texture don't bother me. I've tried cottage cheese on bagels. Lime, pepper, hot sauce, avocado and cottage cheese tacos (weird, i know, but it works). And cottage cheese in a baked potato.
  • mplswhovian
    mplswhovian Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I grew up eating cottage cheese with just some Season salt on it (and still eat it this way now). I'll also make some egg noodles with a little butter and cottage cheese on them for lunch sometimes.
  • jessicatrenee
    jessicatrenee Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I make a grilled chicken with buffalo sauce, spinach and cottage cheese wrap in an ole high fiber tortilla. :)
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Why don't you try it, rather than assuming you won't like it?
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I want to try cottage cheese but I don't know any good recipes to make it taste good (I've heard its not very good plain) If anyone has any good simple recipes such as spice mixes or anything like that I would really appreciate it! I'm more into salty or spicy food than sweet so mixing with jelly or fruit doesn't really apeal to me.
    I mix it with Greek yogurt, fruit and green, leafy veggies for a fast. healthy meal.
    For you try mixing it with lean ground turkey cooked with peppers, garlic and onions with some tomato sauce and serving it over brown rice or whole grain pasta.

And oh, by the way...
    When I was a kid, I thought cottage cheese made people fat, because the only people I ever saw eating cottage cheese were fat people...lol

Today, I have it daily. :)

• framingthewheels
    framingthewheels Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I love cottage cheese on baked potatoes.

Also - just try it first. You might really like it by itself. I do.
  • Brelynn
    Brelynn Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I like it with some flaked tuna; and dill pickles and toast on the side...one of my favorite lunches! :)
  • SLLeask
    SLLeask Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I like plain cottage cheese, but I also like it with a dollop of piccalilli stirred in.... spices it up and gives it a nice tang!
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Dump it on top of baked or sweet potatoes. It also mixes nice with pasta. Or just on the side with a salad.
  • browneyesbb89
    browneyesbb89 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I know it sounds weird but peas and cottage cheese are really good together. Mrs. Dash is really good on it. Also for a quick snack, use it as a dip with baked BBQ Lays.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    Just try it. I love it plain. If you try it and don't like it, why bother incorporating it into a recipe??
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I put it on everything.
  • cabwj
    cabwj Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese and salsa on baked potato. Mixed with avocado for chip or veggie dip. On top of Mexican casseroles instead of sour cream.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Dip celery sticks in a pot off cottage cheese. Salsa is also great for celery dipping.
  • StrengthIsBeautiful
    StrengthIsBeautiful Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Topped with a sprinkle of pepper and chives if I feel like dressing it up. I enjoy it plain the most.
  • christy6098
    christy6098 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    It's very tasty on its own mabie add a little bit of black ground pepper
  • spearmintskies
    spearmintskies Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I really like it plain.
  • mpat81
    mpat81 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    You can use it in smoothies. I like it with salt and pepper or alongside some peaches for a snack. You might try draining it over cheesecloth if the whey is a problem for you.