No Picture?!?

Options
I have a question for you all.

I know you have added or seen that one or two or three people that might have like 4 or 5 pictures but none of them is of themselves, and if this is you please let me know.

This is a site where we do not judge people, and where we can come here for advice and support and new validation if we cannot get it through our family or friends.

Is there a certain reason you do not have a picture of yourself, are you ashamed of yourself or is it cause you just do not want people to see who you are, or you just do not care. I am really interested in knowing. This post is not to offend anyone, it is just my curiosity has gotten the best of me

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    IDK man. I would say insecurity, low self esteem, and low self confidence. Of course that is not every user without a pic.

T
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    If someone wishes to be completely anonymous online, including not showing a picture, that's their decision. Many may have a history of something going wrong with revealing too much information. Just a name and location can do damage.
  • conkle23
    conkle23 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I understand and that is why you can keep your profile private even after accepting a friend request. But I would think that if you diary is open, and everything on your profile is open. I guess I am more open minded person, and I have learned at young age that no matter what someone says to me, it only matters what I think about myself.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    As with anything, I am sure there are a variety of reasons. Luckily, the majority of the members on here who actually know what they are talking about have legit pictures.
  • rhyolite_
    rhyolite_ Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I want to remain anonymous on this site since I talk about personal information relating to an eating disorder. I've recommended this site and these boards to family and friends and I've seen them on here, and I don't want them to stumble across something I've posted and know that much about me. If it was something I wanted everyone in my life to know about, I'd post my thoughts on Facebook. That's just me, though.
  • conkle23
    Options
    I guess thats true! and it might sound intrusive but I guess I am just different as some others
  • rhyolite_
    edited August 2015
    Options
    conkle23 wrote: »
    I guess thats true! and it might sound intrusive but I guess I am just different as some others

It's not intrusive, I don't think. When I first created this account, my profile picture was a progress pic that I was very proud of (from a healthy calorie deficit, not the ED). Once some family members and a couple of friends started using the app and I saw some of their posts, I decided to make it completely anonymous. I can't get use out of this site if I can't be completely open about my issues, and I can't do that if I'm afraid that my coworker down the hall is going to start talking about how I used to withhold insulin to lose weight.
  • Furbuster
    Furbuster Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I too have no picture for anonymity. Likewise my Facebook profile is not my real name but my friends know it's me. I am quite insular, like solitude and prefer it that way. I value my privacy greatly in all ways of life.

If someone asked me yes I would show them a pic if it was necessary but I'd be curious to know why they wanted to see it :)

• conkle23
    Options
    And I guess for me I love to see a true picture of someone cause it nice to see people struggling and surpassing what they thought they could never do. But I understand what you guys are saying that does makes sense. I never really thought it like that @rhyolite_
  • rhyolite_
    Options
    conkle23 wrote: »
    And I guess for me I love to see a true picture of someone cause it nice to see people struggling and surpassing what they thought they could never do. But I understand what you guys are saying that does makes sense. I never really thought it like that @rhyolite_

I agree with that! Seeing real pictures and real progress is very inspiring and motivational. I'm just glad not everyone here feels the need to remain anonymous as I do. :)
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    I don't have a picture up because it's a public forum, even if profiles can be private. If I post something in the forum, I don't necessarily want someone I know at work to realize it's me. It's not low confidence. I'm protecting my privacy.
  • conkle23
    Options
    HAHA Privacy ... I wish I had some of that! :)
  • WellingTX
    WellingTX Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Curious as to how your statement of "This is a site where we do not judge people, and where we can come here for advice and support and new validation if we cannot get it through our family or friends" fits in.

By conjecturing their reasons as not caring or being ashamed, that in itself could be interpreted as judgmental.

A member's reasons for not posting a picture, sharing their diary, not participating in message boards or any other option are just that, their reasons.

If we do not judge people on this site we should accept their choices and as you say, provide support, advice and validation.

• conkle23
    Options
    Yes but as you can see in my original post this was for my curiosity and I just wanted to know. If no one wanted to answer that is fair enough and would have been satisfied with that answer. And I know that is their reasons and if they want to keep those reasons to themselves then I respect and thats awesome! but for those who are open and do no mind I am happy they could share that with me. I am not telling anyone how to use MFP nor would I ever. And any negativity that people want to post on behalf of this post I could careless to honestly hear. As I stated this was not to offend anyone.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    My avatar is sexier than I am.
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Probably the same reason you're not using your real name.

ETA: That was my response to the OP, not other comments - bad timing LOL!
  • conkle23
    Options
    I am using my real name :)
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Your real name is concle23? I sit corrected ;-)
  • conkle23
    Options
    Lol First of all it's Conkle! :) and yes that is my real last name :)
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, the pic is me and sometimes it's of a pic that strikes my fancy, like this current smiley barbell face.