Adrenal Fatigue Syndrome

Options
Any other suffers out there, put your hands up!
Just found out that is my issue so totally changing my diet.
I have been on a total roll the past few months, tracking, eating healthy, but apparently all the wrong things.
I need to totally cut out all sugar, fruit, dairy.
Struggling to come up with a good plan for breakfast. Lunch and dinner are okay. Just a protein and veggies.

Replies

• MrsMunsell
    MrsMunsell Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I just learned about adrenal fatigue from my friend that changed her adrenal fatigue by going vegan. Cutting sugar, fruit and dairy is hard for breakfast
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    From the Endocrine Society:

The term “adrenal fatigue” has been used to explain a group of symptoms that are said to occur in people who are under long-term mental, emotional, or physical stress. Supporters of adrenal fatigue say that you may be more likely to develop this condition if, for example, you have a stressful job; are a shift worker, working student, or single parent; or if you abuse alcohol or drugs.

Adrenal FatigueSymptoms said to be due to adrenal fatigue include tiredness, trouble falling asleep at night or waking up in the morning, salt and sugar craving, and needing stimulants like caffeine to get through the day. These symptoms are common and non-specific, meaning they can be found in many diseases. They also can occur as part of a normal, busy life.

No scientific proof exists to support adrenal fatigue as a true medical condition. Doctors are concerned that if you are told you have this condition, the real cause of your symptoms may not be found and treated correctly. Also, treatment for adrenal fatigue may be expensive, since insurance companies are unlikely to cover the costs.

http://www.hormone.org/hormones-and-health/myth-vs-fact/adrenal-fatigue
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Bunk.

WooWoo at its finest.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

The term “adrenal fatigue” has been used to explain a group of symptoms that are said to occur in people who are under long-term mental, emotional, or physical stress. Supporters of adrenal fatigue say that you may be more likely to develop this condition if, for example, you have a stressful job; are a shift worker, working student, or single parent; or if you abuse alcohol or drugs.

Adrenal FatigueSymptoms said to be due to adrenal fatigue include tiredness, trouble falling asleep at night or waking up in the morning, salt and sugar craving, and needing stimulants like caffeine to get through the day. These symptoms are common and non-specific, meaning they can be found in many diseases. They also can occur as part of a normal, busy life.

No scientific proof exists to support adrenal fatigue as a true medical condition. Doctors are concerned that if you are told you have this condition, the real cause of your symptoms may not be found and treated correctly. Also, treatment for adrenal fatigue may be expensive, since insurance companies are unlikely to cover the costs.

YOU, I like!
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options

Thank you!
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Can you have eggs? Eggs on a bed of black beans, a frittata or spinach omplette are good protein and fiber rich options. Hubby went through a stage where he didn't want eggs every day because cholesterol (??) so I pre-cooked & portioned a different tofu scramble every week--Mediterranean spices with tomato& chicpea, hatch green chili with hominy, taco spices with tomato &black beans, etc--endless combinations. Think his fav was Indian spice with spinach, like sagwala.

I've never heard adrenal fatigue is woo or a dubious diagnosis. I have read, though, that progesterone, testosterone and cortisol share the same precursor hormone. If the adrenal glands are overusing the precursor hormone (relative to available cholesterol) to make high levels of cortisol all the time, progesterone and testosterone can drop below normal.

ETA: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adrenal_cortex#/media/File:Adrenal_steroid_hormone_synthesis.png
  • Stressedby8
    Stressedby8 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I went to my regular doctor, had the blood tests done and the saliva tests done. I am a 53 year old woman in full menopause.
    AFS therefore in my case is not bunk. THERE IS scientific proof and my Doctor has diagnosed it.

Reading a report on the internet vs. my medical doctor. Think I will take her advice over that.

Not sure what WooWoo means.

I was just asking if anyone else suffers with this as I do and thought I could get support from those with the experience.

Thanks Ahoy_m8 for your support.

Yes I can have eggs, just don't want them every day.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    If you want a protein/vegie based breakfast, eat what you'd eat for lunch or dinner. Easy. I'd make sure there was lots of healthy fats too
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    I went to my regular doctor, had the blood tests done and the saliva tests done. I am a 53 year old woman in full menopause.
    AFS therefore in my case is not bunk. THERE IS scientific proof and my Doctor has diagnosed it.

Reading a report on the internet vs. my medical doctor. Think I will take her advice over that.

I was just asking if anyone else suffers with this as I do and thought I could get support from those with the experience.

A "regular" doctor cannot diagnose adrenal issues.

Have you seen an endocrinologist?
  • Stressedby8
    Options
    yes and that is who did the saliva testing.
  • caffeinatedcami
    caffeinatedcami Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/addisons-disease/expert-answers/adrenal-fatigue/faq-20057906

Here is a link to a Mayo Clinic page explaining that adrenal fatigue is not an accepted medical diagnosis. Is it possible your endocrinologist said you have adrenal insufficiency (where your body doesn't produce enough adrenal hormones)? It sounds like you might want to schedule another appointment with your doctor so he/she can explain what the results mean. If not perhaps a second opinion is in order. There is so much misleading medical information out there that it can be hard to know what's legitimate. Sorry if you feel that we are jumping down your throat but a pseudo-medical diagnosis can be harmful to your weight-loss resolve and prevent you from finding the actual cause of your symptoms.
  • caffeinatedcami
    caffeinatedcami Posts: 168 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Also as someone currently studying to be a doctor I have to tell you that a doctor's word is not gospel. Like all human beings they can be wrong. If a doctor is diagnosing patients with diseases that are not accepted by the rest of the medical/scientific community then you should probably get a new doctor. I am not trying to be unsympathetic. I completely understand feeling physically awful on a regular basis and not being able to explain your symptoms.
  • SergeantSausage
    Options

Your "doctor" is a quack.

Recommendation: Get a second opinion and find another doctor.

You *may* have Adrenal Insufficiency - a *real* disorder that an Endocrinologist can help you with.

Your so-called "doctor" is "diagnosing" you with something that doesn't exist. This is not only ignorant, but it is *dangerous*. You have no idea what is causing your symptoms because you are seeing a quack.

• brendak76
    brendak76 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I'm curious what the saliva test was for. I've never heard of it. My son has Addison's disease (autoimmune adrenal failure) and has a battery of blood tests every 3 months. It's not something to mess around with. An adrenal crisis can be fatal in minutes if not treated.
  • Stressedby8
    Options
    Thanks all for the feedback, suggestions and doctor bashing lol. That was not my question, but funny how quickly everyone gets on their high-horse. lol

In answer to my original question, I guess no one here is suffering from menopause symptoms and adrenal fatigue like me.

I will still take the advice of my Doctor, Endocrinologist and Naturopath, thanks anyways.
  • frostysauce757
    frostysauce757 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Was the saliva test done at intervals throughout the day? A one off saliva test wouldn't be useful for determining an adrenal issue as your cortisol level changes throughout the day. Adrenal fatigue is more like a symptom than it is a medical issue. For example, athletes can induce adrenal fatigue by over-training. Adrenal fatigue isn't the cause, over-training is.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the feedback, suggestions and doctor bashing lol. That was not my question, but funny how quickly everyone gets on their high-horse. lol

Here on MFP, we pride ourselves on being judgmental B)

If you're trying to lose weight, all that's required is a calorie deficit. For your medical issues, you might try googling for forums dedicated to those.
  • SergeantSausage
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I will still take the advice of my Doctor, Endocrinologist and Naturopath, thanks anyways.

here's+your+sign.png

Naturopathy is WooWoo

• Stressedby8
    Options
    Naturopathy is a very great source of information and good, clean eating and supplements. Pretty much what we are all looking for on MFP, isn't it?
    But as in all things in life, to each his own. No need to be insulting.
    And yes, Cherimoose, I can see that now.... no worries, I have thick skin.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Naturopathy is a very great source of information and good, clean eating and supplements. Pretty much what we are all looking for on MFP, isn't it?
    But as in all things in life, to each his own. No need to be insulting.
    And yes, Cherimoose, I can see that now.... no worries, I have thick skin.

I hope you will reconsider spending a BUNCH of your hard-earned money on a bunch of stuff that won't help any of your (real [menopause] or perceived [adrenal fatigue]) issues. Friends of mine did the same thing and greatly regret it.