gained 4 pounds of water weight!! how to lose this overnight

Options

Replies

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing in for a competition or body weight requirement? Either way, drink plenty of water and the bloat will subside.
  • jolenematthews
    jolenematthews Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I weigh in once a week, in the morning, after taking care of bathroom duties, and completely naked. I do it the same way each Monday. This way I have the most accurate picture of how my weight loss is progressing. Weighing in at multiple times of the day every day is completely counter-productive. Stop doing this. All those little fluctuations can drive you mad.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Well will it flush away to the weight I wish it to be by tomorrow??

Why do you care what you weigh tomorrow?
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I've gained 4 pounds of water weight! I need to lose this or I am going to literally freak out. I worked out so hard today and stayed within my levels of nutrients.

I eat 1500 cals a day and workout 45 to and hour a day doing cardio activities. This morning I lost a pound from yesterday. This morning I was 261 and I weighed again on my lunch break and I was 263 pounds. I got off work and moved my bowels I was back at 261 pounds. I then ate dinner which consisted of small tuna with a serving size of mayo and spanich on wheat bread. Afterwards I worked showered and got on the scale again to see 265 pounds.

The problem I have is that I can calculate how much water I hold and how much I will lose by tomorrow morning. Yesterday around the same time I was at 265 and I knew that it was water weight and that it'll probably be 260 or 261 by this morning and I was correct.

I was hoping for 264 so that I'll be 260 or 259 by tomorrow. How do I dropped this water weight. Btw I drunk a lot of water today including before bed.

Stop weighing yourself multiple times a day - pick one time per day (preferably in the morning, after you wake up, pee, and before you eat breakfast). Everyone's weight fluctuates up and down during the day, because we eat, drink, work out, etc. Sodium in our food causes us to retain water, exercise that causes microtears in muscles causes us to retain water, and hormones cause us to retain water. It's a very natural cycle for all humans. There's nothing unnatural or special about you that's causing you to retain water any differently than anyone else.
    You are developing an obsession with your weight that is quite unhealthy, and you need to stop. If you want to weigh something, weigh all of your food, not yourself. Log that, and stop worrying about your body weight. As long as you stick to your calorie deficit, the weight will come off. Promise.
  • kyrannosaurus
    kyrannosaurus Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    You guys I am trying to figure why am I holding all of this water. Have this ever happens to anyone and how did you lose it??

Sorry for typing the way I did I was frustrated

Because that's what bodies do. It's normal.
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I also have large fluctuations in weight during a day, so I put the scale away. That water weight could come off overnight, or could take a few days. There really is no way to tell. Personally, my weight fluctuates a lot during the summer when the weather is hot and humid. Sodium can also play a large part. You have to remember that weight loss isn't linear. It jumps around and hormones, oh boy can they mess with the scale! If you are close to your time of the month you can really pack on some bloat (I gain anywhere from 3-10 pounds).
  • DeterminedbyGod
    DeterminedbyGod Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Thanks you guys for the speedy comments and I am weighing for a goal weight. I use to weigh 245 pounds but gained 20 pounds back and I am trying to lose it and it's hard
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    You might lose it by tomorrow, you might not. Drink lots of water today. But bodies are fickle things, so *shrug*. Again, stop weighing so often if you're going to flip out over it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    You aren't going to be 245 tomorrow, though, and you are going to fluctuate once you get to goal anyway. You aren't going to weigh less tomorrow than today in any meaningful way (just like you don't weigh more tonight than you did this morning, really). Think longer term.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    Thanks you guys for the speedy comments and I am weighing for a goal weight. I use to weigh 245 pounds but gained 20 pounds back and I am trying to lose it and it's hard

You didn't put it on overnight, it won't come off overnight. Patience!
  • mccindy72
    Options

You're never going to weigh that goal weight consistently. It will fluctuate, even when you get there. You'll dip below and above it by a couple of pounds, each and every day. and it will take you time to get there. Stop weighing yourself for a while.
  • forgivensins
    forgivensins Posts: 90 Member
    Options

Maybe it's hard because you're impatient? I say this not to be mean but because I lost about 25 and regained it and it has been a slow process to getting back to the lost 25. I may hit my last pound to lose in the next few days but I'm really not sweating it. I do weigh every day but at the same place and at the same time. I take into account sodium and menstrual cycle will affect water weight and I just let it be. Let it happen. Keep doing what you're doing. I have goals too but I don't have a time restriction on them because I know my body doesn't care about calendars.

• jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    You can eat perfectly, if there is such a thing, and it doesn't matter, your weight will still fluctuate. There is absolutely nothing you can do about it. No matter what you do it's going to happen, especially after you eat or drink something, think about it, the food and drinks you put in your body weigh something so of course they are going to cause your weight to increase.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    It is hard. For many of us, it's hard! You're making it harder than it needs to be, though.

Your weight is going to fluctuate! 245 isn't that much better than 250. You have a lot of weight to lose and have to calm down before you get frustrated and give up.

Patience, patience, patience!! Go to the Patience Store and buy a LOT of it. You're going to need it. :)
  • DeterminedbyGod
    DeterminedbyGod Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Being that my starting weight was 316 pounds I try to give myself some lieu way into how I eat but all the slacking is causing me to gain! So I've been weighing constantly lately
  • mccindy72
    Options
    Being that my starting weight was 316 pounds I try to give myself some lieu way into how I eat but all the slacking is causing me to gain! So I've been weighing constantly lately

Weighing yourself doesn't make you lose weight any faster. It just makes you obsess about it. Weigh your food, not yourself.
    Please read the first post in this thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Seriously, even of you have to weigh every day, only do it first thing in the morning after you've used the toilet. Going at it all day is completely illogical, as you've been putting things in to your body (and getting rid of them) all day. Weight fluctuates. Especially for women, frankly. Hormones are a pain. But even a 5lb a day fluctuation is normal and if you obsess over it and try to hold yourself to strict deadlines, it's a recipe for disaster.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Well will it flush away to the weight I wish it to be by tomorrow??

This is my prayer every day.

It really doesn't matter what you weigh day to day. It matters what you weigh month to month.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I always thought weight loss competitions were a bad idea. This has confirmed it.
  • socalprincess1
    socalprincess1 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    You should never weigh yourself after dinner! Just think, the weight of all the food you just ate and liquids you just drank are inside your body, in addition to the added weight of all the bodily digestive secretions and enzymes (saliva, stomach acid, bile, etc etc) your body created out of thin air to digest your meal! I easily weigh 2-3 lbs heavier literally from the time I get home from work, compared with after dinner. Weighing yourself after dinner is honestly just torturing yourself. Stop that.