gained 4 pounds of water weight!! how to lose this overnight

Options

Replies

• Nanogg55
    Nanogg55 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Doll, you're gonna give yourself a nervous breakdown if you don't chill out. Your weight can fluctuate by several pounds over the course of a day. STOP weighing yourself multiple times a day! Once a day is plenty and a lot of folks here don't weigh more than once a week. Focus on accurately tracking and logging your food so you stay in your calorie goal each day. And don't freak out if you go over once in a while! Relax and remember that you want to set up sustainable habits that you can follow indefinitely. Stressing out over a scale reading multiple times a day for the rest of your life doesn't sound like much fun. Breathe, smile and remember that the journey is just as important as the destination.
  • caffeinatedcami
    caffeinatedcami Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Don't weigh yourself so often. It would drive anyone crazy. Within a given day I can vary by 4 pounds. Be patient
  • Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    You should never weigh yourself after dinner! Just think, the weight of all the food you just ate and liquids you just drank are inside your body, in addition to the added weight of all the bodily digestive secretions and enzymes (saliva, stomach acid, bile, etc etc) your body created out of thin air to digest your meal! I easily weigh 2-3 lbs heavier literally from the time I get home from work, compared with after dinner. Weighing yourself after dinner is honestly just torturing yourself. Stop that.

All of those secretions etc are already part of your body weight, though I agree with the rest of what you're saying.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    <boggle>
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You will lose the water weight within a few days, then you will gain it back again. It's just a fact of life. Sorry. :)
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »
    Holy disordered behaviour, batman.

Why are you weighing multiple times a day? Why are you freaking out over water weight? Why do you NEED to lose it by tomorrow? The way you write really concerns me.

QFT
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    ... and remember to breathe!
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Maybe this will relax you:

If you stay on par with diet and exercise, it should be a lot easier for you to lose the weight than a person that weighs in the high 100s (like me). You will be able to lose about 4-6 lbs per week if you stay dedicated, and I will never be able to do that.

This might seem weird, but water weight usually results from not drinking enough water. Your body will hang on to the water that is in the food you eat when it does not get enough. If you are drinking sufficiently, it helps the body process nutrients and get things where they need to go. Are you drinking enough? Whereabouts do you live, and what is your intake of water like?
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

If you stay on par with diet and exercise, it should be a lot easier for you to lose the weight than a person that weighs in the high 100s (like me). You will be able to lose about 4-6 lbs per week if you stay dedicated, and I will never be able to do that.

This might seem weird, but water weight usually results from not drinking enough water. Your body will hang on to the water that is in the food you eat when it does not get enough. If you are drinking sufficiently, it helps the body process nutrients and get things where they need to go. Are you drinking enough? Whereabouts do you live, and what is your intake of water like?

No, not really. In a few cases, possibly, but usually water weight results from diet, muscle damage or hormones.
  • mintsaa
    mintsaa Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Stop weighing yourself all the time, it'll only keep annoying you and discourage you!! As a female, your weight will fluctuate all the time, and I know it's very frustrating. I've been having the same issue this week. Try assessing your progress by how many inches you lose, not lbs (they can mislead you)
    Stay motivated!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Thanks you guys for the speedy comments and I am weighing for a goal weight. I use to weigh 245 pounds but gained 20 pounds back and I am trying to lose it and it's hard

You don't have a goal weight ...you have a goal weight range ..purely because water weight fluctuations are normal

My weight ..at maintenance ...this is Normal ..ups and downs

Also weigh at same time of the day

And log into a trendweight app like happy scale / Libra or trendweight.com (which is what this is)

w7ob3bqxh81q.jpg
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Being that my starting weight was 316 pounds I try to give myself some lieu way into how I eat but all the slacking is causing me to gain! So I've been weighing constantly lately

There is absolutely nothing meaningful that you can learn by weighing yourself multiple times a day. Pick a time each day and stick with that time. Pay attention to the trend, not the daily weight.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

Please ignore the weight number in this post...that is a ridiculous amount ...and completely unhealthy ..even the morbidly obese should not be losing an excessive amount per week ...2lbs best ...over 3.3lbs virtually guaranteed kidney issues like gallstones and would need to be under direct medical supervision

That said water weight increase with dehydration and with change-up in exercise and with ovulation / periods and with sodium

Learn to use it as a way to understand your body ...not something to freak about
  • KellyMajor1983
    KellyMajor1983 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Just weigh yourself once a week and first thing when you get up
  • ItalianChick90
    ItalianChick90 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    You guys I am trying to figure why am I holding all of this water. Have this ever happens to anyone and how did you lose it??

Sorry for typing the way I did I was frustrated
    I get bloated (water weight) when I eat too much sodium. Then its gone the next day or so. Just saying.
  • bellesb169
    bellesb169 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »
    Holy disordered behaviour, batman.

I've read this 10+ times and can't stop laughing each time I read it!!! Hilarious
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I think I'd put the scales away for a while.

Yeah. I think its time to perhaps not weigh yourself for at least a week. Maybe two.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    You know what can cause you to gain weight? The cortisol you're producing by giving yourself this kind of stress over perfectly normal scale fluctuations. You did not lose a pound between yesterday and today anyway, so you haven't really gained it back, either. Perhaps this information will be useful: http://www.webmd.com/diet/can-stress-cause-weight-gain?page=1
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Hmm, when I think of "holding onto water" I think of being up several pounds for several days at my morning weigh ins.

What I do not think of is being up several pounds in the evening - after eating dinner - from the weight I was in the morning.

Did you just start losing weight? You sound brand new to the process of weighing yourself.