gained 4 pounds of water weight!! how to lose this overnight

Options

Replies

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    It takes about 5-7 days for the average person to release any excess water, just be patient.
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    You will just have to get used to the fluctuations; so many things can affect our weight or the amount of water we retain (or don't); too much salt, too much sodium, dehydration, new exercise schedule, TOM....So yes, afraid you are just going to have to learnt o relax and deal with it.

To put things in perspective also, each pound is roughly 3500; losing a pound a day would be ridiculously difficult. Even with your young, high metabolism. I inputted some basic stats to get a good idea; 23 year old female, 260lbs, went for an average female height of 5ft 4 seeing as i don't know how tall you are, and it came out at about 2000 calories. Add in, lets say an activity level which allows you to burn an extra 500 calories a day, you would still need to burn 1000 extra calories every day. And this is assuming you are completely starving yourself and not eating or drinking a thing.

So relax, accept the fluctuations and the fact that this is not a quick process. If you keep putting the work in, you will be fine :)
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Sodium, heat and muscle repair are the usual culprits for me, as I am post menopausal. Drinking more water and rest in a cool place with ice on sore spots can help with these conditions.
  • heatherlewisis
    heatherlewisis Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I've gained 4 pounds of water weight! I need to lose this or I am going to literally freak out. I worked out so hard today and stayed within my levels of nutrients.

I eat 1500 cals a day and workout 45 to and hour a day doing cardio activities. This morning I lost a pound from yesterday. This morning I was 261 and I weighed again on my lunch break and I was 263 pounds. I got off work and moved my bowels I was back at 261 pounds. I then ate dinner which consisted of small tuna with a serving size of mayo and spanich on wheat bread. Afterwards I worked showered and got on the scale again to see 265 pounds.

The problem I have is that I can calculate how much water I hold and how much I will lose by tomorrow morning. Yesterday around the same time I was at 265 and I knew that it was water weight and that it'll probably be 260 or 261 by this morning and I was correct.

I was hoping for 264 so that I'll be 260 or 259 by tomorrow. How do I dropped this water weight. Btw I drunk a lot of water today including before bed.

I went camping and probably didn't hydrate enough (and was super stressed), and came back and had gained 5 lbs! It took me about 5 days to get rid of it just following my normal plan...
  • slp51
    slp51 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Trying squeezing fresh lemon to your daily water intake. Lemon helps flush toxins from the body and, at least for me, I tend to pee more frequently when I drink lemon water.
  • courtney965
    courtney965 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    It happens to everyone! After eating a big meal or drinking lots you are not going to be the same weight as first thing on a morning with an empty stomach..very notmal...put the scales away n weigh yourself everyone week/2 weeks at the same time n place that will give you a true reading
  • pug11
    pug11 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    That darn scale will send you nuts, put it away and only weigh yourself once a week or longer than that, sometimes my legs feel so heavy and my stomach is bloated....I feel like I'm 10 pounds heavier, then a few days later will feel fine again, it can be from all kinds of things so I don't worry at all, it is normal to fluctuate.

Years ago I used to be obsessed with the scale, jumping on it several times a day and if the # was up even a pound it would ruin my whole day, I cannot do that anymore!!

The day I put away the scale and only weighed every week or 2 weeks I felt so much better, just get on with your life and don't think about it, you will be much happier believe me, it can become an obsession, not good.

Just eat well, get active etc and go on with your life, you will be surprised how good it feels to not think about the scale #'s :)
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    slp51 wrote: »
    Trying squeezing fresh lemon to your daily water intake. Lemon helps flush toxins from the body and, at least for me, I tend to pee more frequently when I drink lemon water.

Nope. This OP has received some great advice regarding how she should address her approach. Let's not muck that up with false guidance.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options

Omg, no. NO. Stop it.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Why are you weighing yourself so much?? That's setting you up for major frustration!
    You must be prepared for daily fluctuations if your going to weigh in so much by as much as 5lbs

If your logging accurately you will know it's not real gain.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Your body doesn't have a set weight, it has a weight range. The body's weight fluctuates everyday, all day.

Stop weighing yourself more than once a day. You're not doing yourself any favors.
  • DeterminedbyGod
    DeterminedbyGod Posts: 130 Member
    Options

Why is the lemon water bad!? I actually drink lemon water to realease toxins and I also do the Apple cider vinegar mix with water
    Omg, no. NO. Stop it.

• DeterminedbyGod
    Options
    Hey you guys I ended up burning it off and it actually in fact was water weight. I am currently now down to 257 or 256
  • missdani6
    missdani6 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself too much too so I feel ya! The best way to lose water weight is to drink tons and tons of water. Seriously.
  • klrenn
    klrenn Posts: 245 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    If you're going to weigh yourself every day I totally second the recommendation to use Trendweight.com or one of the other apps that smooths out the fluctuations. It will give you a much more realistic picture of what you actually weigh and if you are gaining or losing. I'd venture to say that it will ease your anxiety about having to "burn off" the water weight (since you will also be able to see the patterns of what causes the fluctuations and the confirmation that they will go down on their own)

For me, the periodic water weight fluctuations don't really affect how I look or how my clothes fit, so I ignore them...and I can have a 6-8lb swing over the course of a couple days...always right back down (and my trendline from trendweight.com confirms that my weight is going down regardless...it has been a sanity saver!)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I suggest you round off your weight to the nearest five pounds if anyone asks. The number wobbles anyways.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

Omg, no. NO. Stop it.
    Why is the lemon water bad!? I actually drink lemon water to realease toxins and I also do the Apple cider vinegar mix with water

Lemon water isn't bad. It's fine, it tastes good. But it does not flush out toxins, that's hooey. Neither does Apple Cider Vinegar. Your body has an excellent detoxification system in your liver, kidneys, lungs and skin. If they are not working, you need a doctor, not a detox.
  • DeterminedbyGod
    Options
    klrenn wrote: »
    If you're going to weigh yourself every day I totally second the recommendation to use Trendweight.com or one of the other apps that smooths out the fluctuations. It will give you a much more realistic picture of what you actually weigh and if you are gaining or losing. I'd venture to say that it will ease your anxiety about having to "burn off" the water weight (since you will also be able to see the patterns of what causes the fluctuations and the confirmation that they will go down on their own)

For me, the periodic water weight fluctuations don't really affect how I look or how my clothes fit, so I ignore them...and I can have a 6-8lb swing over the course of a couple days...always right back down (and my trendline from trendweight.com confirms that my weight is going down regardless...it has been a sanity saver!)

When I gain water weight off rarely effects how I look or my clothing. The scale is what freaks me out! I know for sure that I am losing because I am in a while new mean size. The scale is slow at showing the number
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I've gained 4 pounds of water weight! I need to lose this or I am going to literally freak out. I worked out so hard today and stayed within my levels of nutrients.

I eat 1500 cals a day and workout 45 to and hour a day doing cardio activities. This morning I lost a pound from yesterday. This morning I was 261 and I weighed again on my lunch break and I was 263 pounds. I got off work and moved my bowels I was back at 261 pounds. I then ate dinner which consisted of small tuna with a serving size of mayo and spanich on wheat bread. Afterwards I worked showered and got on the scale again to see 265 pounds.

The problem I have is that I can calculate how much water I hold and how much I will lose by tomorrow morning. Yesterday around the same time I was at 265 and I knew that it was water weight and that it'll probably be 260 or 261 by this morning and I was correct.

I was hoping for 264 so that I'll be 260 or 259 by tomorrow. How do I dropped this water weight. Btw I drunk a lot of water today including before bed.

My best advice to take a step back and breathe.....breathe.....breathe......

You are freaking out over something you have no control over. Why are you allowing the scale to have that much power?

It seems to me you have some disordered thoughts and behaviors around food and weight. Have you thought of talking to a professional about this? It might help.

I suggest you step on the scale one time a week at the same time, under the same conditions, and no other time.

A one pound drop by tomorrow is not going to make a bit of difference.