Argument for not eating/entering exercise cals?

Options
kiela64
kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
I've noticed some people mention they don't enter their exercise, or they enter it but don't eat it back. I'm wondering what the reason for this is?

I'm thinking about trying to do that today/this week, because I was 1000cal over my goal yesterday (yikes! Still learning!). Though I think that would technically be eating them back, if retroactively.

But what's the reason behind not touching them at all, I'm curious?

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Well it depends on a few circumstances;
    • Whether you're using the MFP NEAT method*
    • Whether you're using the TDEE method
    • How many calories you're eating on the MFP NEAT method*

If someone does the MFP NEAT method and eats 1200 calories, but doesn't eat back her exercise calories, then that's stupid because they'll be netting a low amount.

Eating back 50-75% of your exercise calories is advised just to compensate for inaccuracies.
  • kiela64
    Options
    Alright, makes sense. Sorry for the missing info& thanks for your response! :)

I'm following the MFP method. I tried looking up TDEE & it's confusing to me. My exercise level also varies week to week, so I don't think it would work so well in my case.

I'm not eating 1200cals, I found it too low for me so I'm at 1300. At first I was eating 100% of the exercise cals, then I was trying 50%.

I thought maybe not eating them back this week might minimize the damage from overeating yesterday & keep me closer to on track. Do you think so?
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Well it depends on a few circumstances;
    • Whether you're using the MFP NEAT method*
    • Whether you're using the TDEE method
    • How many calories you're eating on the MFP NEAT method*

If someone does the MFP NEAT method and eats 1200 calories, but doesn't eat back her exercise calories, then that's stupid because they'll be netting a low amount.

Eating back 50-75% of your exercise calories is advised just to compensate for inaccuracies.
    Well said!
    Though some do it to crash diet, most are just looking for an easier way to have steady, daily food intake.
    The key is that 1 pound per week target.
    I think that's the best goal for safe, steady results that last and contribute to optimal health as well.

• Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Not eating them back for a few days after you have gone over seems a sound strategy, if you regularly eat them back as you are creating a compensation deficit to make up for the time you were over. You don't have to, but if you can, why not?

I don't log my exercise and consider it a bonus, but it really would not make a big difference if I did, it would be a tiny amount of extra food as all I do is ride an exercise bike every now and then. I don't know why people get so hysterical about it. A few extra bites of something? Who could be bothered? If I am starving I will have it, but if I am indifferent, I would rather bank those calories and lose more weight. I eat at 1200 and leave it at that. When I go over, I forgive myself and move on.

Weight loss is achieved through calorie control for the most part. You can't exercise your way out of a a bad diet as they say.

• iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I think it's due to the fact that the burns are just estimates and therefore it's highly likely that they are inaccurate.
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options
    To be honest @kae612 , eating back 50-75% would be ok for you (I would say 75%).

When people eat at 1200 calories (mainly females), I usually say eat back 100% of your calories because it's such a low amount... they'll still be in a deficit most likely.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    kae612 wrote: »
    Alright, makes sense. Sorry for the missing info& thanks for your response! :)

I'm following the MFP method. I tried looking up TDEE & it's confusing to me. My exercise level also varies week to week, so I don't think it would work so well in my case.

I'm not eating 1200cals, I found it too low for me so I'm at 1300. At first I was eating 100% of the exercise cals, then I was trying 50%.

I thought maybe not eating them back this week might minimize the damage from overeating yesterday & keep me closer to on track. Do you think so?

That's a fine idea. Some of my friends exercise all week and save their exercise calories to splurge on the weekend. You're basically doing the same thing. I use TDEE but often save calories when I go over.

Just don't overdo it. If you're eating 1300 and burn a huge amount, maybe eat back at least some of them, just less than normal. It does not have to be perfect. Don't starve yourself to hit perfect numbers for the week
  • shroodle88
    shroodle88 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I find it really hard to stay on 1200 without eating some exercise back. It just gets too depressing to be constantly watching every carrot. So I use exercise as a bonus and try to eat back half maximum. Sometimes I can allow myself a splurge and can make it up over the next day or two. It seems like win/win to me: I have more energy, build muscle, get to eat more AND stay under my kilojoule goal. Weightloss is quite slow but steady.
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options
    shroodle88 wrote: »
    I find it really hard to stay on 1200 without eating some exercise back. It just gets too depressing to be constantly watching every carrot. So I use exercise as a bonus and try to eat back half maximum. Sometimes I can allow myself a splurge and can make it up over the next day or two. It seems like win/win to me: I have more energy, build muscle, get to eat more AND stay under my kilojoule goal. Weightloss is quite slow but steady.

This is why I think 1200 calories shouldn't be the minimum for females... it sucks.

Sorry, but you're not going to be building muscle on 1200 net calories. Not one chance.
  • kiela64
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

Yes of course perfection is definitely not possible, and I will listen to my body - if I feel weak or headachy I would definitely eat something. I don't do massive amounts of exercise, it would be maybe 200cal burned/day I work out.

Saving exercise calories for an event sounds like something I might try in the future as well (social eating can be my downfall lol). But on average eating back 50% seems good too.

I agree with the 1lb/week thing, that's definitely my goal :) I'm aiming for 20lbs down by the new year.

Thanks for all your responses :)
  • Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I think it's due to the fact that the burns are just estimates and therefore it's highly likely that they are inaccurate.

Just to add to this -

Yes, this is why I don't log my exercise, little that it is. I also like having a small buffer on my food calories by not logging exercise, which means I don't have to stress about my guess work when I go to a restaurant or have a latte from a cafe, log a "medium" pear or lick a peanut butter knife (those sorts of entries are notoriously off in the database and add calories you can't be sure of).

I never lose more than 0.5kg a week eating 1200, sometimes less. If I was overdoing it and starving myself it would be dropping off me. It's not - it is going at the pace it should be.

I think it also depends on how accurately you log, on how lenient you can be on exercise calories. I am sometimes a lazy logger, which means I need a buffer. How sharp is your logging? Only you can answer that question.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Some of the reasons why some people say they don't eat them back:
    • Lack of understanding how MFP works
    • They want to speed up their weight loss
    • Their doctor/nutritionist/personal trainer told them not to
    • They use them as a buffer for inaccuracies in their food diary
    • They follow the TDEE method where an exercise calorie estimate is already included in their calorie goal

• kiela64
    Options
    ^ true! Exactly!

My logging is definitely not perfect. I guesstimate peanut butter because measuring it in a measuring spoon when it's so sticky.... I try to guess a little higher than I'd think, but still - definitely not perfect, no food scale, so even measured accuracy may vary.

My 1300 goal counts that I should lose 1.3lbs/week. The .3 imo is a buffer. I'm just aiming for 1lb/week, and that would make me happy.

I'm also still figuring out strategies to keep my eating under control in social or stressful situations, so like yesterday there are less good days. :)
  • jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I don't log my exercise...that is unless I happen to have an entire blowout diet day..then I do. My reasoning is this: I don't use a food scale, so I'm banking on the fact that I need some wiggle room for underestimating what I'm putting in my body AND I find it difficult to gauge how many calories I'm actually burning when I'm exercising.
    I saw a MFP member log 500 calories burned for 50 minutes of breast feeding...I'm going to say probably not! I err on the side of caution. :)
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    kae612 wrote: »
    ^ true! Exactly!

My logging is definitely not perfect. I guesstimate peanut butter because measuring it in a measuring spoon when it's so sticky.... I try to guess a little higher than I'd think, but still - definitely not perfect, no food scale, so even measured accuracy may vary.

Quick tip on the peanut butter. Put the jar on your scale and hit "tare" so it weighs zero. Take peanut butter out with a knife until the number of grams you want have been removed This will show up on your scale as a negative 32 grams (or whatever).

Playing around with your exercise calories as a way to compensate for a day where you overate or banking them for a special occasion is just fine. That is one way to do a form of intermittent fasting. On an everyday basis, you should be eating back a portion of them. How many of them depends on you, your calorie target, where you get the burn info from, your weekly weight loss target, etc. If your calorie target is closer to 1200 and/or your weekly loss goal is 2 lb a week, you should definitely make sure you eat back a good sized portion of exercise calories. If you have wiggle room (slower loss rate and/or higher calorie targets), play with them to find the right portion for you to eat.

I was brand new to the idea of NEAT when I started MFP. I set my weight loss target to 1 lb. a week. I got a Fitbit and started a water aerobics class. I ate back 50% of mt Fitbit calories earned and 25% of those earned from logging my class at first, and averaged a little over 1.5 lb. a week. I could easily, and safely, lose 2 lb a week at the weight I was but I kept the target where it was so I had wiggle room as I figured out the exercise calorie thing. After several months, I settled in to a routine where I eat back almost all of my Fitbit calories (they are pretty accurate) and about 50% of calories earned from logged exercise. I am closer to goal so my losses have slowed down to a little under 1 lb. a week.

• kiela64
    Options
    Cool! I'll keep that in mind for when I get my food scale.
  • G33K_G1RL
    G33K_G1RL Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I use the TDEE methos so I don't log or eat back my exercise calories, EXCEPT when I go for a 50+ km bike ride or a day long hike. Then I'll eat dinner until satiated, and usually I end up eating 1/3 to 1/2 of my exercise calories back (over my usual calorie goal).
  • cupcakesplz
    cupcakesplz Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I don't eat my exercise calories back.
    Not because I think I will lose more weight each week, but because I am finding it hard to eat them all.
    I am working on eating them by drink full cream milk and cheese.
    I am still learning and trying to find my balance.
    I use my Fitbit charger HR and I love doing extra work outs during the day
    I just can't bring my self to eating 1000 extra a day. Over the past 3 years I have put on 20 kg's and I am scared of eating food!
  • cld111
    cld111 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I exercise for the sole purpose of being able to eat more, so yes, I eat them back! But, I'm currently burning 500-1000 calories in exercise per day. If it was 200 or less, I probably wouldn't eat them back and just use it as a buffer.
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    At this point, I rarely eat some of my calories back. If I were hungry I certainly would. My metabolism is getting faster and faster. Very shortly, I can see me eating some of my calories back on a regular basis.

I use a heart rate monitor with my training every day. So, I have much more confidence in it and the numbers I am seeing in my training stats, than with MFP etc. I look to it first, if I am still hungry.