Overweight gym staff

Replies

• bmele0
    bmele0 Posts: 282 Member
    People probably judge me when they look at me- probably think they know what I eat and think I don't exercise.

When they find out I've lost 114 lbs, then their all like- "omg, how did you do it? What's your secret?" *eye roll*

No, it wouldn't bother me to see bigger people, elderly people, disabled people, etc at the gym teaching others. Any person can be an expert on something and may not be living that example at the time. I would do my own research into things as well, but I don't automatically discount someone's advice based on appearance. That's irrational.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    fitfor30th wrote: »
    I don't want to be mean or rude, but it is bugging me. One gym I go to a lot of the staff are quite a lot overweight (and not losing). They walk around with 'Health Maker' on the back of their T-shirts and it bugs me. They also give out bad advice. I heard one of them telling a lady the other day she shouldn't aim to get big muscles, just do low reps on the weight machines.

Actually I've heard this a lot lately, in a Bodypump class I go to, the instructor keeps saying 'this will get you stronger, not bigger!' Well I actually want my muscles to get bigger, as then I will burn more calories and be more toned!

Rant over.

How many gyms to you belong to? If it bothers you, and that's a personal preference, change gyms!

I workout at home now, but when I belonged to a gym, I wasn't there for advice. I was there for the equipment.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    I don't want to be mean or rude, but it is bugging me. One gym I go to a lot of the staff are quite a lot overweight (and not losing). They walk around with 'Health Maker' on the back of their T-shirts and it bugs me. They also give out bad advice. I heard one of them telling a lady the other day she shouldn't aim to get big muscles, just do low reps on the weight machines.

Actually I've heard this a lot lately, in a Bodypump class I go to, the instructor keeps saying 'this will get you stronger, not bigger!' Well I actually want my muscles to get bigger, as then I will burn more calories and be more toned!

Rant over.
    Like you, I don't mean to sound unkind, but.... :|

NO THANKS!
    I have zero interest in gym staff who can't translate their knowledge into success.

Part of my inspiration are the results of others, because if they can achieve something, so too can I.
    Personal trainers and such are much more than just mouthpieces of information or coaches.
    I need to know they have the demonstrated ability to connect knowledge with action and discipline to achieve success - not excuses.

I think that the point some people are trying to make is that there are different levels of "success" and what is one person's goal may not be another person's. PT's don't need to all look the same way because their clients do not all aspire to look the same way. Personally, I would never go to a PT who has body fat in single digits. That is a level of "success" I have no interest in achieving and I wouldn't feel that that particular PT would have my needs and desires in mind no matter how good of an instructor he/she is.

• karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Nop, I could care less about their personal appearance, show what you know, show me results.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    bmele0 wrote: »
    People probably judge me when they look at me- probably think they know what I eat and think I don't exercise.

When they find out I've lost 114 lbs, then their all like- "omg, how did you do it? What's your secret?" *eye roll*

No, it wouldn't bother me to see bigger people, elderly people, disabled people, etc at the gym teaching others. Any person can be an expert on something and may not be living that example at the time. I would do my own research into things as well, but I don't automatically discount someone's advice based on appearance. That's irrational.

I'm an overweight yoga teacher. sometimes, I get self conscious but despite it all, I know I teach a good class.
  • jaga13
    moyer566 wrote: »

I'm an overweight yoga teacher. sometimes, I get self conscious but despite it all, I know I teach a good class.

My last yoga teacher didn't have the "perfect" body, but I certainly didn't care. I don't consider weight loss to be a primary goal of yoga.
  • rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    To me this rant is an observation at a gym, so yes it matters. They aren't looking for a pt they are observing. Many make snap judgments in all aspects of life, as pointed out many times.
    Now if they were searching for a pt, I am sure they would do more research on them and make the judgment from that.
    Any business wants to put the best foot forward to gain more customers... so usually in a gym setting it is healthy fit looking people. But it still is the choice of the owner who to hire.
    As someone else posted, there is a difference in the duties of the employees so then appearance wouldn't effect them.
    comparing a pt to a doctor is incorrect, the rant is about observation with no time to research.
    I would be concerned with hearing them give out incorrect information, no matter what they look like. Then I would mention it to the owner/manager.
    imo
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    edited August 2015
    earlnabby wrote: »

Rant over.

NO THANKS!
    I have zero interest in gym staff who can't translate their knowledge into success.

Part of my inspiration are the results of others, because if they can achieve something, so too can I.
    Personal trainers and such are much more than just mouthpieces of information or coaches.
    I need to know they have the demonstrated ability to connect knowledge with action and discipline to achieve success - not excuses.

I think that the point some people are trying to make is that there are different levels of "success" and what is one person's goal may not be another person's. PT's don't need to all look the same way because their clients do not all aspire to look the same way. Personally, I would never go to a PT who has body fat in single digits. That is a level of "success" I have no interest in achieving and I wouldn't feel that that particular PT would have my needs and desires in mind no matter how good of an instructor he/she is.
    Good Point!
    :)
    When I hire anybody, I need to know they're applying their knowledge in their own lives.
    My personal trainer is Sam, and he's everything I want to be when it comes to fitness related goals.
    In addition to living what he preaches, Sam is competent, patient and very educated. He also has a good record of success working with others who have affected positive changes under his guidance.

This is what I look for when I hire a personal trainer.

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    jaga13 wrote: »
    moyer566 wrote: »

My last yoga teacher didn't have the "perfect" body, but I certainly didn't care. I don't consider weight loss to be a primary goal of yoga.

no but fitness frequesntly is which some people judge by weight
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited August 2015
    elphie754 wrote: »
    To be honest, someone elses weight is none of your business. You don't know their back story. You are choosing to let something bother you that is none of your business.

I agree with this as to who is at the front desk, or folding gym towels, or a non-trainer, non-advice giving employee.
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Nope I agree

Gym staff as in the ones who staff the actual gym and prepare programmes and train others in how to use the equipment should be in shape, particularly if they have to dress in stupid slogan bearing t-shirts

Other people who staff gyms, whose jobs are not specific to training others, it doesn't matter ...receptionists, lifeguards, food, managers etc

This as to trainers and who give out weight lifting advise.

Our trainers at the gym are all fit and most of them come across as knowing what they are talking about. Many of them use the MFP tools too, especially the food and exercise diary.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,257 Member

Rant over.

NO THANKS!

Good Point!
    When I hire anybody, I need to know they're applying their knowledge in their own lives.
    My personal trainer is Sam, and he's everything I want to be when it comes to fitness related goals.
    In addition to living what he preaches, Sam is competent, patient and very educated. He also has a good record of success working with others who have affected positive changes under his guidance.

I follow the same process whenever I hire someone - trust, but verify.

Personal Training is primarily a sales position. Like every other sales position you aren't selling your product, but selling yourself. For a personal trainer this is even more critical as the showcase product are results, which if they can't produce, then why would you purchase their product?

I review certifications, resume, conduct an interview, take a trial session, etc. To each their own, but I work hard for my money and like to see a good return regardless of the investment.
  • jaga13
    Maybe I missed it, but did OP confirm if he's talking about gym staff (non-trainers) or actual trainers? Also, unless we're talking about someone who is very obviously overweight/obese, not everyone has the same perception when it comes to body type and thinness. Someone you think is overweight, I may view as normal.
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    One gym I go to a lot of the staff are quite a lot overweight (and not losing). They walk around with 'Health Maker' on the back of their T-shirts...
    Lmao! You have to appreciate the irony though. I guess it's a "those who can't do, teach" situation. I don't go to a gym.^_^
  • Furbuster
    Furbuster Posts: 254 Member
    I do understand about the marketing and it is a very valid point. Business is business.

I also have the point do we know what is going on in Lisa the Trainer's life? No not really. Maybe she had a baby six months ago, or two babies! Maybe she hurt her back and now is long term disabled but is still able to work? Of course if someone isn't making the effort and that's their job (to get fit) then it's a very different kettle of fish....but my point is as I punter no one knows unless we speak to them and communicate.

Much like here...

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    zyxst wrote: »
    Better get rid of all the male OB/GYNs since they are obviously "unqualified" for pregnancy and birthing advice.

I notice that no one has a rebuttal, for the best comment here!

No, not by a long stretch. Maybe when you can become an OBGYN with three weeks of night classes.
    So education is the problem, not how a PT looks in relation to their skills. Doesn't seem to be what everyone else is arguing about.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member

Rant over.

You may be wrong about them since you haven't talked to these people about your concerns/goals and what they are saying/doing. You feel the way you feel though and there are other gyms or other ways to exercise that may be a better fit for you. You definitely have a choice not to go to that gym or that class if you really feel the staff/instructors are not going to be helpful to you achieving your goals.

I don't go to a gym. I don't know what my comfort level with the staff's appearance would be. If they seemed physically incapable of doing the exercises they are telling me to do then I might not feel very confident about their knowledge either.
  • radicalchanges
    radicalchanges Posts: 10 Member
    Versacam wrote: »
    What about doctors and nurses then? Do they have to be in shape to give you advice?

If their advice is correct it shouldn't matter what they look like, just because they don't follow the advice themselves doesn't mean the advice is of any better or poorer quality.

The only change is that you perceive them to be stupid because they are fatter than your acceptable standard.

atypicalsmith - you would change gym? Why on Earth? Just choose a different trainer or ignore it. Jeez, some people.

• ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    edited August 2015
    jaga13 wrote: »
    Maybe I missed it, but did OP confirm if he's talking about gym staff (non-trainers) or actual trainers? Also, unless we're talking about someone who is very obviously overweight/obese, not everyone has the same perception when it comes to body type and thinness. Someone you think is overweight, I may view as normal.

The OP is talking about Gym Staff/Gym Advisors...not Personal Trainers (so the thread kind of went slightly off topic there.)
    On the previous page, the OP confirms the staff are Obese.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited August 2015

Rant over.

NO THANKS!

Good Point!

Agreed. Knowledge, experience, and setting a good example are great criteria to have. Exactly how those criteria are interpreted will depend on the client and what they aspire to.

One of the substitute instructors for my water aerobics is what I aspire to. She is 78 years old and still very fit. I want to be like her when I grow up. Yes, she has a bit of a belly pooch but she is at the age where sagging and pooching is common and flat abs are not the most important thing.

• bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    I haven't read all the responses yet but gym is for fitness. Everyone can work on fitness right? They are big or obese because mainly of their diet which is nothing to do with using equipment, etc. I understand where you are coming from for sure but would appreciate larger "active/fit" people in gyms than only thin fit people.