How do YOU spend your calories?

Options

Replies

• accidentalpancake
    accidentalpancake Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Karmyeboo wrote: »
    Same things, just less of them. Lost 116 pounds.

Interesting, I've done both, cold turkey but this time I'm doing what you've said and just as I was tucking into my allotted Ben and jerrys I was called to go to the gym and the person told me I shouldn't think of it that way? Basically eat as clean as possible
    Eat clean if you want. Don't if you don't. Eat in a deficit.

This really should be the standard response.

If you feel it'll help to eat clean, give it a go. If it feels restrictive, add back some things you're missing. It's all about finding what works for your circumstances.

I consider my diet pretty "clean" (cook at home, minimize boxed foods, etc), but just last weekend I went to three ballgames and ate all manner of food I don't usually touch, in reasonable quantities. No impact on my weight or body comp at all.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    I've always been mostly a "healthy foods" type eater (read: lots of veggies, lean proteins, complex carbs blah blah blah), my problem was with the portions.

So, I still eat and cook what I like, just with smaller portions.

Interestingly, I eat more sweets now than I did before. I never had a sweet tooth prior to this!

I always crave sweets more when eating at deficit. I think it's probably instinctive to crave quick fuel sources when you aren't consuming as much as you burn.
    My instincts must be poor. I always crave animal flesh, especially beef.

• shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I've always been mostly a "healthy foods" type eater (read: lots of veggies, lean proteins, complex carbs blah blah blah), my problem was with the portions.

So, I still eat and cook what I like, just with smaller portions.

Interestingly, I eat more sweets now than I did before. I never had a sweet tooth prior to this!

I always crave sweets more when eating at deficit. I think it's probably instinctive to crave quick fuel sources when you aren't consuming as much as you burn.
    My instincts must be poor. I always crave animal flesh, especially beef.

I crave red meat when I'm pre-menstrual. Big time. All I want is burger and bloody steak.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    we are all here to loose weight and most of us out counting calories right?

I just wanted to see how many of us has completely reformed our diet and how many of us still eat what we want as long as it's in like with our calorie count - and how this has affected your weightloss.

I ate with attention to nutrition (just not calories) when gaining, and I still do, although more so. (For example, I haven't really eaten fast food other than on a rare car trip since around 2000, since I never really liked it, still got fat.) I also eat what I want, since I mostly want to eat nutritious foods and make sure they are delicious. I haven't cut anything out, but I pay more attention to calories when making choices between foods or deciding how much to have.
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    My diet has always been very healthy and clean. However, I just ate far too much of it!! Now I am careful with quantities. Logging every day is helpful.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    jaga13 wrote: »
    I don't understand the clean eating vs moderation debate. Why so black and white? I do a combo of both....mostly nutrient-dense, high volume/low calorie food with room for a little bit of the delicious not-so-nutrient dense, low volume/high calorie food. OK, I guess that's technically moderation...but it's not like I'm eating *exactly* what I used to, just less of it. It's a LOT less of it, and a whole lot more of the nutrient-dense items.

I think the concept of "clean eating" is inherently black and white.

What you do (like you said) I'd call moderation. "Clean eating" seems to mean it's better to cut out entirely the not so nutrient dense, high cal foods, although people will disagree on what deserves to be called "unclean" and what doesn't. (Paleo types say eating whole grains is unclean, but bacon is fine, some low fat or anti processed folks will say bacon is unclean, etc.)
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    spzjlb wrote: »
    My diet has always been very healthy and clean. However, I just ate far too much of it!! Now I am careful with quantities. Logging every day is helpful.
    If it made you fat, it doesn't sound very healthy.

• accidentalpancake
    Options

Oooooh, now we have to define healthy, don't we?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

Truth! There is difference between "healthy foods" and "healthy diet". I got fat eating mostly "healthy foods" but it is very easy for me to eat so many healthy foods that my diet becomes unhealthy. Olive oil, I'm looking at you!! :angry:
  • kellyship17
    kellyship17 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Greatly increasing my intake of lean meats, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, and vegetables. Enjoying fruit as dessert. I am completely obsessed with ice cream, so I still have that pretty often. I usually have some form of "treat" everyday, like candy or chocolate, just a smaller amount.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I've just about completely reformed my diet. Nothing I eat now bears any resemblance to what I ate five years ago.

Changing my diet kick started the weight loss. I set out to get healthier, not to lose weight. The weight loss was a happy (and very welcomed) side effect. :)
  • TeeC56
    TeeC56 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    we are all here to loose weight and most of us out counting calories right?

I just wanted to see how many of us has completely reformed our diet and how many of us still eat what we want as long as it's in like with our calorie count - and how this has affected your weightloss.

I mostly eat what I want within 2400 calories. And make sure I eat at least 150-180g of protein. Lost 22 lbs so far. 272 down to 250 in three months. I've been lifting and working outside a lot also. Gonna keep doing that til it stops working
  • DeguelloTex
    Options

Not if we want the thread still to be here in half an hour. I just thought,"I had a healthy diet and got fat" had a very "Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln..." vibe.

• jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I don't understand the clean eating vs moderation debate. Why so black and white? I do a combo of both....mostly nutrient-dense, high volume/low calorie food with room for a little bit of the delicious not-so-nutrient dense, low volume/high calorie food. OK, I guess that's technically moderation...but it's not like I'm eating *exactly* what I used to, just less of it. It's a LOT less of it, and a whole lot more of the nutrient-dense items.

What you do (like you said) I'd call moderation. "Clean eating" seems to mean it's better to cut out entirely the not so nutrient dense, high cal foods, although people will disagree on what deserves to be called "unclean" and what doesn't. (Paleo types say eating whole grains is unclean, but bacon is fine, some low fat or anti processed folks will say bacon is unclean, etc.)

Yeah, I hear ya. I don't like the term clean eating, personally. I definitely don't like the idea of "I'm NEVER eating THIS again!" How about just decide what you are going to eat today, and make a new decision tomorrow?

But on the other hand I hear a lot of "moderation" fans saying "I eat what I used to eat, just less." That's not what I do. So that's where I say the best answer may be in some gray area for many.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

Yeah, I hear ya. I don't like the term clean eating, personally. I definitely don't like the idea of "I'm NEVER eating THIS again!" How about just decide what you are going to eat today, and make a new decision tomorrow?

But on the other hand I hear a lot of "moderation" fans saying "I eat what I used to eat, just less." That's not what I do. So that's where I say the best answer may be in some gray area for many.

Oh, I agree. I don't like the "do you eat like you used to do or did you change your diet completely to get rid of the JUNK," because (1) I ate pretty decently and not lots of "junk" when I was gaining (and I dislike the assumption that we all got fat on fast food and snack cakes); and (2) I haven't cut out anything.

But it's also not true that I kept my diet precisely the same. There were issues with my diet and I improved it, and I eat much more mindfully now.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options

Oh, I agree. I don't like the "do you eat like you used to do or did you change your diet completely to get rid of the JUNK," because (1) I ate pretty decently and not lots of "junk" when I was gaining (and I dislike the assumption that we all got fat on fast food and snack cakes); and (2) I haven't cut out anything.

But it's also not true that I kept my diet precisely the same. There were issues with my diet and I improved it, and I eat much more mindfully now.

Word to your mutha Nods head in agreement
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I changed things. Cut alcohol, soda, and juice. Decreased my consumption of cheese, cake, pastries, croissants, and pastries, by a LOT (basically it's one serving of cheese a day in average, including cheese in dishes, and the rest a once a month thing). Much less chocolate as well (a square once in a while instead of 2-3 chocolate bars at once). Eat more veggies. Rarely have fried foods or fast food anymore.

I also happen to eat more ice cream now. And I cook all the time, which I pretty much never did.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I eat smaller amounts of things I really enjoy and have added in lots of whole foods (veggies, lean proteins, etc) to help me feel satiated on the smaller quantities. And I've stopped eating raw carrots. No clue why, those were my go to "healthy" snack, but they always make me hungrier.
  • accidentalpancake
    Options

Not if we want the thread still to be here in half an hour. I just thought,"I had a healthy diet and got fat" had a very "Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln..." vibe.

Indeed.
  • supersocks117
    supersocks117 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I tried to move away from more processed foods and eat smaller portions of the foods I really enjoy. I have been eating less pizza and crackers and more fruits/veggies/lean protein - while saving calories for ice cream I enjoy (We just tried Talenti and it was really good). I'm trying to do less mindless snacking and eat more when I am hungry of things I actually like.