Options

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    noelitall wrote: »
    It's like when a member/poster who is 19 with a profile picture of a rapper throwing a sign and answers threads with a know it all snarky attitude, I ignore his knowledge/advice
    So ya, wouldn't take the gym staff seriously with their advice

Judging a poster's advice by their profile picture seems really silly and I'm unsure why you felt the need to turn the discussion into an attack on another poster anyway . . .

I'm pretty sure someone can like rap and also have solid knowledge to offer on fitness/weight loss.

You missed the other two important factors which was age and snarky attitude. The profile pic was that of a rapper and not himself. That was my point on the picture reference. If he had a picture of his fit body like some of the veteran posters here, I would probably take him more seriously. It's not about if he likes rap. You just selected the rap part of my post and assumed attack on rap. Who doesn't like rap? It's a form of poetic art

Those two seem as unimportant as liking rap. Someone can be 19 and know a great deal. Someone can be snarky and know a great deal. None of the factors you mentioned (profile picture of a rapper, age, attitude) have anything to do with the validity of advice offered.

Again, why are you turning this into a discussion of another poster?

My picture is of a plastic dinosaur and some blackberries. Would you disregard any advice I had to offer?

I would if your advice sounds funny.

I would think you would disregard my advice if it sounded funny no matter what my profile picture was. After all, it would be incredibly easy for me to find a photo of a super impressive body online and use that as my profile picture. Paying more attention to someone's advice because their profile picture looks awesome isn't a great strategy (not that you're proposing to do that, but the person I was discussing this with suggested that a progress picture would be a better avatar than a rapper).

Basically this thread is a lets judge a book by its cover. I don't do that but it seems a lot do.
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    jaga13 wrote: »
    jaga13 wrote: »
    Maybe I missed it, but did OP confirm if he's talking about gym staff (non-trainers) or actual trainers? Also, unless we're talking about someone who is very obviously overweight/obese, not everyone has the same perception when it comes to body type and thinness. Someone you think is overweight, I may view as normal.

The OP is talking about Gym Staff/Gym Advisors...not Personal Trainers (so the thread kind of went slightly off topic there.)
    On the previous page, the OP confirms the staff are Obese.

Thank you. General staff's weight is not something that matters in my opinion.

If we're talking general staff, then nope. Don't care at all.
    5050110 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Trusting a fat trainer/nutritionist is like having an AA sponsor that drinks 3 bottles of jack a day.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    5050110 wrote: »
    Trusting a fat trainer/nutritionist is like having an AA sponsor that drinks 3 bottles of jack a day.

No... it's really not.

So you wouldn't trust Mark Rippetoe if he was giving you an explanation on olympic lifts?

Stop being so ignorant.
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »
    fitfor30th wrote: »
    I don't want to be mean or rude, but it is bugging me. One gym I go to a lot of the staff are quite a lot overweight (and not losing). They walk around with 'Health Maker' on the back of their T-shirts and it bugs me. They also give out bad advice. I heard one of them telling a lady the other day she shouldn't aim to get big muscles, just do low reps on the weight machines.

Actually I've heard this a lot lately, in a Bodypump class I go to, the instructor keeps saying 'this will get you stronger, not bigger!' Well I actually want my muscles to get bigger, as then I will burn more calories and be more toned!

Rant over.
    Like you, I don't mean to sound unkind, but.... :|

NO THANKS!
    I have zero interest in gym staff who can't translate their knowledge into success.

Part of my inspiration are the results of others, because if they can achieve something, so too can I.
    Personal trainers and such are much more than just mouthpieces of information or coaches.
    I need to know they have the demonstrated ability to connect knowledge with action and discipline to achieve success - not excuses.

I think that the point some people are trying to make is that there are different levels of "success" and what is one person's goal may not be another person's. PT's don't need to all look the same way because their clients do not all aspire to look the same way. Personally, I would never go to a PT who has body fat in single digits. That is a level of "success" I have no interest in achieving and I wouldn't feel that that particular PT would have my needs and desires in mind no matter how good of an instructor he/she is.
    Good Point!
    :)
    When I hire anybody, I need to know they're applying their knowledge in their own lives.
    My personal trainer is Sam, and he's everything I want to be when it comes to fitness related goals.
    In addition to living what he preaches, Sam is competent, patient and very educated. He also has a good record of success working with others who have affected positive changes under his guidance.

This is what I look for when I hire a personal trainer.

Agreed. Knowledge, experience, and setting a good example are great criteria to have. Exactly how those criteria are interpreted will depend on the client and what they aspire to.

One of the substitute instructors for my water aerobics is what I aspire to. She is 78 years old and still very fit. I want to be like her when I grow up. Yes, she has a bit of a belly pooch but she is at the age where sagging and pooching is common and flat abs are not the most important thing.
    I love getting to know fit people up in age.
    They've done some things right.

• yopeeps025
    Options

You clearly don't know. It was a comical comment though. I hope you are not serious.
  • airbent
    airbent Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    TeeC56 wrote: »
    " To me good advice is good advice, regardless of the person's weight, gender, race, height.. etc"

That's a bit silly. In a world just full of obese/unfit people who know all about losing weight/getting fit (but for some reason have done neither), it makes perfect sense that many people seeking to lose weight or get fit would find the opinions and advice from someone who has actually done one or the other more.. valid

eh... a person being skinny doesn't mean they've lost weight or know how to do it better. If they've always been thin it's a perspective and journey they've never had. Just like you can't really look at a fat person and assume they don't know how to get fit/have never been fit/aren't fit, you can't look at a thin person and say they do, unless you know their experience and qualifications.

Which is really the point since the OP is ranting (childishly) about gym staff, not personal trainers. Not sure I'd want to patronize a gym that never hired anyone overweight, considering the bulk of their money will be made off of people they judge that harshly.
    Options
    No... it's really not.

So you wouldn't trust Mark Rippetoe if he was giving you an explanation on olympic lifts?

Stop being so ignorant. [/quote]

I'm not talking about Mark Rippetoe. I'm talking about fat trainers who are fat trainers and nothing more. I'm saying I'm not going to trust someone who clearly fails at knowing to employ what he/she knows about diet and nutrition.
  • yopeeps025
    edited August 2015
    Options
    No... it's really not.

Stop being so ignorant.

I'm not talking about Mark Rippetoe. I'm talking about fat trainers who are fat trainers and nothing more. I'm saying I'm not going to trust someone who clearly fails at knowing to employ what he/she knows about diet and nutrition.

So can we judge your profile?
    Options

You clearly don't know. It was a comical comment though. I hope you are not serious.

Nah, I don't really care to be honest. I don't take anything people write in these forums seriously. The mass majority are morons. The threads are entertaining to read though.

Options
    No... it's really not.

Stop being so ignorant.

I'm not a trainer. I'm also not fat.

• yopeeps025
    Options
    No... it's really not.

Stop being so ignorant.

I'm not a trainer. I'm also not fat.

You don't even know where I was going to go.
  • yopeeps025
    Options

Nah, I don't really care to be honest. I don't take anything people write in these forums seriously. The mass majority are morons. The threads are entertaining to read though.

Something we can agree on.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    It's like when a member/poster who is 19 with a profile picture of a rapper throwing a sign and answers threads with a know it all snarky attitude, I ignore his knowledge/advice

Judging a poster's advice by their profile picture seems really silly and I'm unsure why you felt the need to turn the discussion into an attack on another poster anyway . . .

I'm pretty sure someone can like rap and also have solid knowledge to offer on fitness/weight loss.

Although I don't base my opinion of posters on their avatars, it makes every bit as much sense to do that as it does to assess knowledge based on someone's body composition.

Wut??
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    Better get rid of all the male OB/GYNs since they are obviously "unqualified" for pregnancy and birthing advice.

I'm not sure that is a good comparison, since a male OB/GYN is physically unable to follow his own advice regarding female health issues; but that doesn't mean he isn't competent. A fat PT, on the other hand, is capable of following his/her own diet and exercise advice, but just doesn't. A fat PT could certainly be competent, but the self-neglect would concern me.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I would love to walk into a gym and see some staff with some body fat. Particularly some older staff with a little body fat, and I'd like to see them actively working with people and ON the machines, acting like healthy normal people with strong normal bodies. That would be a gym that I'd have to join.

We have many Gyms like that in London.
    Where are you from?!! Lol

I'm from the U.S.; New Jersey to be more exact. I've seen only 20 somethings with very low body fat in the several local gyms I've visited here. The men are typically very well muscled and the women look like beach bunnies. Its not exactly discouraging (to me), but it does speak to the ideal they are trying to sell customers. I mean, its great for them and all, but its a bit like there's a cultural divide between the staff and many of the customers. Perhaps I should come over there :)
    Options
    No... it's really not.

You don't even know where I was going to go.

Fair enough. You guys have fun in this thread!
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    You guys realize that calling judgmental people judgmental is passing judgement.

Oh crud I just passed judgement. ...and I passed judgement on myself.

...and again.

*kitten*! Oh how do I get out of this vicious cycle?
  • pedidiva
    pedidiva Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Many athletes are overweight, especially when older. The new theory is that overweight/obesity is hormonal--based upon insulin and carbohydrate.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options

Im sure it happens though. people are constantly making decisions and those are influenced by the available information. A rpofile pic might be one of many that a particular person might pay attention to. Just a fact.