The Real Effect of Alcohol on your Waistline

Options

Replies

• kknudson
    kknudson Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    While I'm sure this is probably accurate, 8 people is a pathetic test-group size, and without a control group present, is highly suspect from a scientific standpoint.

THIS. Where's the science?!
  • _CowgirlUp_
    _CowgirlUp_ Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I sure wish everyone would agree on this topic. I came to ask this very question and now I'm more confused than when I came here initially. It's an excellent topic for discussion though. I wonder who really has the down n' dirty?? I wish I knew. But, I don't. So, I will go sit down now and ponder this subject...over a glass of wine. :wink:
  • locomotion
    Options
    bump
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    In the study, eight people

...and that's where I stopped reading. Being a scientist myself, I can pretty much conclude whatever I want with little dispute from a sample size that small.

I drink moderate amounts here and there and I always account for it and log it. So far it is working and I am losing weight. Alcohol is no more evil than the truckloads of diet soda some people drink daily, the Lean Cuisine frozen meals some people live off of...

Bottom line: Pick your poison (whether it be Diet Coke, a glass of wine, frozen dinners, some over-processed Hungry Girl industrial food type recipe you love), consume in moderation, and enjoy GUILT FREE when you do consume.
  • pamp1emousse
    pamp1emousse Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Very interesting (if inconvenient :tongue: ) post, thank you. I have a question about the fat burning part though...

So let's say today I consume 1200 calories in food and 500 in alcohol. So my fat metabolism has decreased by, let's say your 73% for some number of hours. If I'm using acetate for fuel then does that just mean my body (I'm way oversimplifying here, I realise) is first going to focus on burning off those 500 calories, storing the 1200 as fat (assuming I'm only expending 500 cals worth of energy in these few hours)?
    If that's the case then doesn't still remain cals in v cals out? I can see you're not doing yourself many favours but during those hours of decreased fat metabolism aren't you still burning the same number of calories?
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Very interesting (if inconvenient :tongue: ) post, thank you. I have a question about the fat burning part though...

So let's say today I consume 1200 calories in food and 500 in alcohol. So my fat metabolism has decreased by, let's say your 73% for some number of hours. If I'm using acetate for fuel then does that just mean my body (I'm way oversimplifying here, I realise) is first going to focus on burning off those 500 calories, storing the 1200 as fat (assuming I'm only expending 500 cals worth of energy in these few hours)?
    If that's the case then doesn't still remain cals in v cals out? I can see you're not doing yourself many favours but during those hours of decreased fat metabolism aren't you still burning the same number of calories?

yes and no. Calories in vs calories out is a very simplistic definition as stored fat does not burn the same way ingested carbohydrates do, and since the body requires a certain level of energy at all times, when it can't pull enough calories from the combined sources of body fat and ingested calories, it'll burn protein, and/or slow down the metabolism (this is more long term but still). Plus a whole host of hormone and chemical changes induced that I won't get into. Sufficed to say, alcohol is, in no uncertain terms, not good for weight loss, for a number of reasons.
  • Sarahr73
    Sarahr73 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this information! I usually allow a drink or two on my cheat day, depending on the other decisions I make for food, but now I might just cut it out completely.
  • barberella
    barberella Posts: 199
    Options
    Excellent topic. I am a drinker; a whiskey drinker. Agreed. It may just be as bad as those processed "healthy" dinners or diet soda, but all of us enjoy some of those now and again; just like I enjoy my Canadian Clubs and diet coke. Moderation is the key. I'm sure people here are losing weight while they are having their much recommended "cheat days". I've lost weight as well while not giving up my booze. Maybe I would have lost more faster. Who knows? Who cares..I don't wanna give up my whiskey. But i have given up the snacking during, I eat before I go out, and no more fourth meals after I get done drinking. I think I'm saving way more blubber that way!
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I drink it has never slowed or stalled my weightloss:drinker:
  • Kirstie_C26
    Kirstie_C26 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    bump :)
  • popsicle33
    popsicle33 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a chance to read this carefully enough. Thanks for adding to the knowledge base. I hope that it is purely "anecdotal," since I like a quality beer and tasty wine. All things in moderation, I say. I used to drink a lot more but am definitely cutting back.

This is just a belief, not scientifically proven, but I believe that our bodies are set to be able to cleanse themselves to a certain extent, especially with good hydration and plenty of other healthy, positive activities, including that which cleanses the lymphatic system.

I don't believe it's entirely evil, though, by any means.
    Thanks for the info - it gives me something to think about!
    Amy
  • sinclare
    sinclare Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I've seen several studies recently showing that people who have a moderate amount of alcohol (1 per day for women and 2 for men) have lower BMIs in general than people who don't drink at all or drink less than 1 or 2 per day.

Just sayin'.

But BMI makes no distinction between fat and all other things in your body. It only considers weight and height.
  • AllisonS79
    AllisonS79 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    This entire thread is very educational. I like to drink and I know I probably have wine too often, then I rationalize it because I had a rough day at work or because my diet is healthy. I could try to tell myself all sorts of reasons why I shouldn't have the extra calories and that didn't work! However, knowing that it can slow metabolism and increase cortizol makes it less appealing. It's not worth it to try so hard to lose weight, then stump your progress with alcohol!
  • eileen7316
    eileen7316 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,948 Member
    Options
    The effect of alcohol on your waistline (i.e. slowing the metabolism) has been documented for a long, long, long time. I'm amazed more people don't know this. I don't care how many studies say "a drink or two is good for you". Not having any at all is even better for you.
    That's debatable.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I've heard that if you drink liquor and eat a bananna witin 5 minutes of each other, you will turn into a really fat drunk monkey. SERIOUSLY!

128805264387485421.jpg
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options

^^ THIS!

So long as you stick to your calories, you're fine. Seriously.

Now don't eat that entire large pizza with your 2 adult beverages, ya hear?
  • dargytaylor
    dargytaylor Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    bump!