Opinions on soya milk?

2»

Replies

• laconrad2013
    laconrad2013 Posts: 41 Member
    You can make your own milk. Just blend a few raw nuts of choice in a nutribullet with water. You can sweeten it with a touch of real maple syrup.
  • dc1arkson
    dc1arkson Posts: 142 Member
    You can make your own milk. Just blend a few raw nuts of choice in a nutribullet with water. You can sweeten it with a touch of real maple syrup.

Thanks but like I said I can't have almond milk or any but milks but also this is only about soya or skimmed as they're the options while out and about. But surely I would use my masticating juicer to make the milk not a blender like the nutribullet.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    dc1arkson wrote: »

Thanks but like I said I can't have almond milk or any but milks but also this is only about soya or skimmed as they're the options while out and about. But surely I would use my masticating juicer to make the milk not a blender like the nutribullet.
    My goals are atm to maintain my weight but was wondering what people thought of soya milk in general as I had heard bad things and obviously good. I am faced with either soya or skimmed when out at times, you hear and read so much information that counters having either. Purely was an interest
    You can pretty much ignore whatever bad and good things you are hearing. There is a lot of "noise" out there about what we should be eating/drinking. Since you only drink them when you are out and about, you are not going to be consuming vast quantities of them anyway.
    Skim milk 8fl oz: calories 90 / protein 9
    Soy milk 8fl oz: calories 90 / protein 6
    Drink whichever one you want. They are close. I cannot drink cow's milk, so occasionally I have soy milk instead of water.
  • bubaluboo
    bubaluboo Posts: 2,098 Member
    Goats milk is a great alternative and tastes just like cows milk to me. Generally it's organic so no added hormones etc. It's naturally low lactose and so is suitable for lactose intolerance.
  • Furbuster
    Furbuster Posts: 254 Member
    Hey. I've been drinking Alpro soya for a couple of years and am now so used to it when I have tasted cow's milk I find it rank. When I first started drinking non dairy I really didn't like it but your taste changes over time.

You are UK? The Alpro brand is the creamiest that's why I drink it - my sis hates it for the same reason. She prefers the supermarket longlife stuff because it's more watery. Maybe try a taste test and see what you prefer.
  • dc1arkson
    Furbuster wrote: »
    Hey. I've been drinking Alpro soya for a couple of years and am now so used to it when I have tasted cow's milk I find it rank. When I first started drinking non dairy I really didn't like it but your taste changes over time.

You are UK? The Alpro brand is the creamiest that's why I drink it - my sis hates it for the same reason. She prefers the supermarket longlife stuff because it's more watery. Maybe try a taste test and see what you prefer.

I do love the taste of soya and yep UK so I have to alpro one but wasn't sure with the hormone thing I heard. In Costa I am usually going between soya or skimmed also
  • dc1arkson
    bubaluboo wrote: »
    Goats milk is a great alternative and tastes just like cows milk to me. Generally it's organic so no added hormones etc. It's naturally low lactose and so is suitable for lactose intolerance.

Really can't wait to try goats milk tbh
  • dc1arkson
    RodaRose wrote: »

My goals are atm to maintain my weight but was wondering what people thought of soya milk in general as I had heard bad things and obviously good. I am faced with either soya or skimmed when out at times, you hear and read so much information that counters having either. Purely was an interest
    You can pretty much ignore whatever bad and good things you are hearing. There is a lot of "noise" out there about what we should be eating/drinking. Since you only drink them when you are out and about, you are not going to be consuming vast quantities of them anyway.
    Drink whichever one you want. They are close. I cannot drink cow's milk, so occasionally I have soy milk instead of water.

They do seem very similar but I would be more inclined to soya as long as this hormones thing is not gonna be an issue. I have cut back on dairy and it seems to work well. Thank you for the info
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    RodaRose wrote: »

They do seem very similar but I would be more inclined to soya as long as this hormones thing is not gonna be an issue. I have cut back on dairy and it seems to work well. Thank you for the info

Here's a pretty good discussion: http://examine.com/faq/is-soy-good-or-bad-for-me/

My thought is that if you have reasonable amounts and aren't eating tons of soy, there's no reason to worry about it--if you'd prefer the soymilk, go with soymilk.
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member

If you're only having a little bit in your coffee, I think you should be ok. :)
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    bluefish86 wrote: »
    There is some evidence that phytoestrogens in soy can cause feminization in men, but I think you'd need to be drinking quite a bit.
    This is just a western scare story. You just need to look at countries like Japan where they regularly eat multiple soya products. No moobs in sight. Man boobs are usually caused by carrying too much weight. Tho there can be a genetic component.
    Personally I only use soy milk in porridge, where it needs the 'creaminess'. But then I don't drink coffee or tea.