TDEE method vs MFP

Options

Replies

• cld111
    cld111 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I like earning more food to eat through exercise, so I use MFP's way, and I like it!
  • Richardkempke
    Richardkempke Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    How do you go about switching to the tdee method on this app?
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    cld111 wrote: »
    I like earning more food to eat through exercise, so I use MFP's way, and I like it!
    TDEE does the same. Not that you have to use it, but it does include the food you've earned through exercise.

• leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    yes this is what i found out, however as a whole im really consistant and i love les mill combat i think its awesome so i get my motivation from that, 80lbs is a massive achievement!!! :)

I love Les Mills Combat too. Done it twice so far, waiting for school to start again and I'll do it a third time. Just no idea how many calories it burns, I'm guessing not that many though.

Yep it burns between 400-800 calories depending on fitness and individual effort

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    TDEE, for all the reasons stated - also don't trust the burn estimates on the DB or any devices, which all involve proxy measurements. Plus you hear about syncing problems all the time, where exercise is double counted. I would not want to be relying on those numbers.

As long as you're working out consistently, putting in a solid effort when you do, watching your intake, and seeing the numbers on the scale (and/or inches around your waist) go down, you're moving in the right direction. (Yes, I have been successful with TDEE.)

I currently have the NEAT method set up and am logging cardio, but only as a way of kind of tracking goals, because the cardio I can do right now is mind-numbing, and I need to be able to at least tick it off or something. (In effect, I'm still doing TDEE, because I eat the same amount every day whether I do cardio or not, I just go "over" on some days and live with the red numbers.)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    How do you go about switching to the tdee method on this app?

Set your calories based on your TDEE goal (not the guided option, but custom) and log exercise as 1 calorie. Oh, and ignore what it says you will lose/gain or just tell it you are active. It won't affect your calorie goal, since you set that yourself, but you won't have it constantly telling you you will gain since it doesn't have the exercise calories.
  • 215in2015
    215in2015 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    The two LBs/week calorie deficit through MFP has worked precisely for me
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    TDEE for me (80+ pounds and heading for first Ironman).
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    yes this is what i found out, however as a whole im really consistant and i love les mill combat i think its awesome so i get my motivation from that, 80lbs is a massive achievement!!! :)

I love Les Mills Combat too. Done it twice so far, waiting for school to start again and I'll do it a third time. Just no idea how many calories it burns, I'm guessing not that many though.

Yep it burns between 400-800 calories depending on fitness and individual effort

I love Les Mills too and use it for my cardio on my non lifting days, but even as a guy, I doubt think burns would be that high.
  • cld111
    Options
    TDEE does the same. Not that you have to use it, but it does include the food you've earned through exercise.

It includes it upfront though, right? I like earning through my fitbit and seeing the count go up throughout the day.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options

It includes it upfront though, right? I like earning through my fitbit and seeing the count go up throughout the day.

TDEE does factor exercise as part of the equation
  • DeguelloTex
    edited August 2015
    Options

Like I said, you don't have to use it if another way is better for you. Personally, I don't want to wait until I do my evening 4.5 miles to have those calories "available."

But, yes, TDEE includes exercise up front.

ETA: Also, I think pre-logging meals is greatness, so TDEE is a much better fit for me.
  • cld111
    Options

Like I said, you don't have to use it if another way is better for you. Personally, I don't want to wait until I do my evening 4.5 miles to have those calories "available."

ETA: Also, I think pre-logging meals is greatness, so TDEE is a much better fit for me.

Definitely makes sense and I will likely try it at some point. I never know how my day is going to go and I base what I'm going to eat on my ongoing activity. I don't pre-log, I eat as I go. Maybe not the cleanest way to do things, but it's woking out ok so far.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options

Definitely makes sense and I will likely try it at some point. I never know how my day is going to go and I base what I'm going to eat on my ongoing activity. I don't pre-log, I eat as I go. Maybe not the cleanest way to do things, but it's woking out ok so far.
    If your days aren't consistent, you're definitely doing it the right way. As long as you can hit your calorie goals, the method you use comes down to personal preference. It's cool that you're having success.

• echmainfit619
    echmainfit619 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Sorry folks but I gotta ask, what is the TDEE method?

I've lost 46 pounds using MFP, so far. I thought your daily calorie limit was based on a deficit from your TDEE.

I know what TDEE stands for, just unaware of any method.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Much prefer the MFP method myself. If I used TDEE I would be a lot less motivated to push exercise on any particular day.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Sorry folks but I gotta ask, what is the TDEE method?

I've lost 46 pounds using MFP, so far. I thought your daily calorie limit was based on a deficit from your TDEE.

I know what TDEE stands for, just unaware of any method.

The normal MFP method is based on figuring out your NEAT (which is a fancy way of saying your maintenance if you don't do any intentional exercise), subtracting 250 calories for each .5 lb you mean to lose in a week (but never more than 1000 calories), and then getting a pre-exercise calorie goal. After that, when you actually exercise you log it and have it added to your exercise goal. It's a particularly good way to go for someone who has just started exercising or is otherwise not consistent in their exercise, and also for someone who prefers eating more on days with more exercise.

The TDEE method that people are talking about is really TDEE averaged over the week. You figure out your average TDEE (in other words maintenance including the exercise that you normally do averaged over a week) and then subtract off either a percentage or sometimes 250 calories for each .5 lb you plan to lose (without being too aggressive). And that's that--no need to add back or eat back exercise. It's a good approach if you like having the same goal every day and are consistent in your exercise.
  • sjohnson__1
    sjohnson__1 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I agree both methods work, I just question the MFP method for it's accuracy. Using that method, you're relying on two things, ONE: That MFP accurately estimated the calories you need to eat on a daily basis for your goal. I've found that to be off. And, TWO: You're relying on a calories burned estimator, to help you guess how many exercise calories you can eat back. For me, TDEE is more cut and dry. Trial and error for a few weeks will give you a good understanding of your average caloric needs for your goals, and then you can make adjustments as needed, without the hassle of recording your calories burned each day. That just seems like an added step, to me.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I agree both methods work, I just question the MFP method for it's accuracy. Using that method, you're relying on two things, ONE: That MFP accurately estimated the calories you need to eat on a daily basis for your goal. I've found that to be off. And, TWO: You're relying on a calories burned estimator, to help you guess how many exercise calories you can eat back. For me, TDEE is more cut and dry. Trial and error for a few weeks will give you a good understanding of your average caloric needs for your goals, and then you can make adjustments as needed, without the hassle of recording your calories burned each day. That just seems like an added step, to me.

Yes, I'm with you. The "MFP" method introduces more sources of potential error. The TDEE way does require a moderately consistent activity level, though - but that's something that should be happening anyway.