Maintaince question?

Options
13»

Replies

• gardenesseligson
    gardenesseligson Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    jlewisrn74 wrote: »
    So question.... If I am eating 1100-1500 calories and that's what I log and everyone else is eating 1900-2300 calories and that's what they log who's to say they aren't also underestimating their calories? And who can assume that I am? I could eat more if my maintaince weight was 123 at 5'2 but mine is 110-114 at 5'4. So it seems pretty accurate to me based on the previous posters numbers. If I increased my calories I could weigh 123 also. However, that is a 10 pound weight gain for me. So if you are maintaining at 1900 calories at 5'2 and 123 who's to say I'm not maintaining at 1100- 1500 calories at 5'4 and 112? I guess it just depends on fitness goals and what an individual would consider their maintaince weight.

You make a good point about fitness, calorie consumption, and weight maintenance. There have been several studies that correlate weight maintenance and health. If maintenance is your goal, and what you're doing is working for you well, ...if it ain't broke, don't fix it! Do get your regular checkups, including blood work, to ensure that everything's in good working order. MFP is an important and useful tool, but nothing can replace yearly medical exams to ensure that all is well. I'm 5'2", 109 lbs, and MFP set my maintenance calorie limit as 1295. (To clarify, I did not choose this number; MFP came up with it based on my profile and maintenance goal.) I've been using MFP for almost a year, started because my cholesterol was extremely high and my Dr wanted to put me on drugs to manage it. I asked for a one year reprieve to try getting it within a normal range sans medication. Happily, my latest blood test showed that thanks to daily logging of every crumb that passes my lips, I've Slayed the cholesterol dragon! My doctor was astonished that my numbers were so changed and so good.
    Food logging is a daily task now, no different than brushing my teeth or taking a shower, and it is already showing measurable health benefits. Keep up your own good work, listen to your body, and enjoy the benefits that accrue with healthy eating.
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    If what you're doing gets results, forget what others say.
    I have always believed that results trump an opinion.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    It seems like you are doing fine. You say your goal is 1100, but you actually eat 1500 and - I can't quite figure it out - that seems to be net. You exercise a lot. You are maintaining your weight. Whatever you're doing seems to be working.

The way people talk about calories differs a lot depending on whether we talk about what we eat or what we net (eat minus exercise calories). I also think different people measure somewhat differently. I am almost always way under my net calorie goals - by 1000-3000 most weeks. But I'm not hungry at all and I maintain. It may be my metabolism is low. Or it may be that my logging is low. It doesn't matter. What I do is stable and reliable and so is my weight.

Go with it. It seems to work for you.
  • jlewisrn74
    jlewisrn74 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    So question.... If I am eating 1100-1500 calories and that's what I log and everyone else is eating 1900-2300 calories and that's what they log who's to say they aren't also underestimating their calories? And who can assume that I am? I could eat more if my maintaince weight was 123 at 5'2 but mine is 110-114 at 5'4. So it seems pretty accurate to me based on the previous posters numbers. If I increased my calories I could weigh 123 also. However, that is a 10 pound weight gain for me. So if you are maintaining at 1900 calories at 5'2 and 123 who's to say I'm not maintaining at 1100- 1500 calories at 5'4 and 112? I guess it just depends on fitness goals and what an individual would consider their maintaince weight.

You make a good point about fitness, calorie consumption, and weight maintenance. There have been several studies that correlate weight maintenance and health. If maintenance is your goal, and what you're doing is working for you well, ...if it ain't broke, don't fix it! Do get your regular checkups, including blood work, to ensure that everything's in good working order. MFP is an important and useful tool, but nothing can replace yearly medical exams to ensure that all is well. I'm 5'2", 109 lbs, and MFP set my maintenance calorie limit as 1295. (To clarify, I did not choose this number; MFP came up with it based on my profile and maintenance goal.) I've been using MFP for almost a year, started because my cholesterol was extremely high and my Dr wanted to put me on drugs to manage it. I asked for a one year reprieve to try getting it within a normal range sans medication. Happily, my latest blood test showed that thanks to daily logging of every crumb that passes my lips, I've Slayed the cholesterol dragon! My doctor was astonished that my numbers were so changed and so good.
    Food logging is a daily task now, no different than brushing my teeth or taking a shower, and it is already showing measurable health benefits. Keep up your own good work, listen to your body, and enjoy the benefits that accrue with healthy eating.[/quote
    Thank you!!
    And thank you to the last 3 posts as well. I act silly didn't even want to read them when I saw the notification because I didn't want anymore "your not logging right" you eat way more then you think" and "your lying about your activity" ugh! Yesterday I was to the point where I felt if MFP is so far off and I am logging wrong then what's really the point of logging at all. I could probably do it on my own. In reality just like the previous poster it has become as normal as brushing my teeth and not sure I can not NOT log. Thanks again for all the advise and suggestions.
  • M30834134
    M30834134 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    jim180155 wrote: »
    My guess is that your body has adapted to your long term caloric restriction, "allowing" you to maintain your weight even though you're eating at a theoretical deficit. Somebody else under the same circumstances but with more fat to lose and a different mindset would be complaining that they've hit a plateau and that they can't lose weight even though they're eating at a deficit.

Your body gradually adapts to calorie restrictions in the form of (I'm borrowing from the article I'm going to link below):
    • Your basal metabolic rate slows down
    • The “thermic effect of food” decreases
    • You burn less energy through “spontaneous” physical activity
    • You burn less energy through exercise

If that's what's going on, and I'm pretty sure it is, you should be able to eat more and still maintain your weight. The idea is gradually increase calories by around 100 daily, then increase by another 100 each week until you've reached your TDEE.

If you haven't already looked at your TDEE, try this online calculator which puts your TDEE at around 1732 calories given your stats and 6 workouts per week: iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

And this is the article I was talking about. It's about reverse dieting and targeted toward people who want to eat more, which would be most people, but I think it applies to you as well: muscleforlife.com/reverse-diet/

I agree with Jim.
    Francl27 wrote: »
    You're just eating more than you think, and probably overestimating your calorie burn too. It's fine, as long as you feel good and you're maintaining.

Francl27, not necessity.

Here is what happened to me a few years back, 6' tall male, I was in my forties, about 230 lb, and didnt know anything about nutrition, BMR, TDEE back then. I decided to lose 30 lb and started eating around 1000-1200 calories. I lost the weight I wanted but it was soo hard. Once at my goal I could only increase calories by no more than 200 and if I went over - I gained. Does that mean my TDEE was 1400? Hell no! I wholeheartedly believe Adaptive Thermogenesis is a very real thing and it might be what keeping @jlewisrn74 at her low calories level.
  • momar23
    momar23 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    jim180155 wrote: »
    My guess is that your body has adapted to your long term caloric restriction, "allowing" you to maintain your weight even though you're eating at a theoretical deficit. Somebody else under the same circumstances but with more fat to lose and a different mindset would be complaining that they've hit a plateau and that they can't lose weight even though they're eating at a deficit.

Your body gradually adapts to calorie restrictions in the form of (I'm borrowing from the article I'm going to link below):
    • Your basal metabolic rate slows down
    • The “thermic effect of food” decreases
    • You burn less energy through “spontaneous” physical activity
    • You burn less energy through exercise

If that's what's going on, and I'm pretty sure it is, you should be able to eat more and still maintain your weight. The idea is gradually increase calories by around 100 daily, then increase by another 100 each week until you've reached your TDEE.

If you haven't already looked at your TDEE, try this online calculator which puts your TDEE at around 1732 calories given your stats and 6 workouts per week: iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

And this is the article I was talking about. It's about reverse dieting and targeted toward people who want to eat more, which would be most people, but I think it applies to you as well: muscleforlife.com/reverse-diet/

Great advice!
  • jlewisrn74
    Options
    Thank you all. I decided to take the average of what I have been eating over the last month since I stated I do eat my calories burned. Average over the last month is 1600. I changed MFP goal to 1600 and won't eat my calories burned and see what happens. Hoping this also helps some of the anxiety of seeing my calorie allotment go down so fast. I'm going to try this over the next month and see if I'm still able to maintain.
  • jlewisrn74
    Options
    Thank you all. I decided to take the average of what I have been eating over the last month since I stated I do eat my calories burned. Average over the last month is 1600. I changed MFP goal to 1600 and won't eat my calories burned and see what happens. Hoping this also helps some of the anxiety of seeing my calorie allotment go down so fast. I'm going to try this over the next month and see if I'm still able to maintain.
    1600 still seems like a lot less then what is recommended for someone to eat to maintain at my fitness level. But it seems to be working.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I feel like if it's working for you then you're doing great. I also doubt your maintenance calories are that low with your amount of exercise. But the actual number doesn't matter as long as your weight is staying within an acceptable range. The method doesn't really matter as long as the results are the same.

Agree with others... Everything should be weighed (in grams) not measured. Packaged foods included! Maybe you can come back to this if your weight starts changing later on down the road.

It sounds like you've done a wonderful job listening to your body and learning good habits for your future. I definitely wouldn't worry about the numbers (unless you're curious)!
  • sunkissmarie
    sunkissmarie Posts: 18 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Wow I thought my Marcos where low lol but yea I think that is way too low. U might actually lose weight of u were to eat more since your body is surviving on so little fat & calories for your size & amount of training u do. I think it should be atleast 1500, high carb & low fat since u workout 5 times a week. I am 5'1, 106lbs & eat about 1500 & 37 fat to maintain so since u are taller I think u could get away with going a little higher ok calories & still maintain. I also workout 5 times a week, mostly weight training & a little cardio. I also maintain by having a cheat day every 6 days