TDEE method vs MFP

Options

Replies

• leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone I'm definately choosing right for myself then. I've been cutting cals in one way or other for years now and found this is the best way for me. I'm consistent every week with my exercise and I did find I struggled on non exercise days with mfp. So the extra cals I get on tdee every day prevent me from sabotaging. Nice to know everyone's perspective
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    To those of you who follow the TDEE method. What happens if you have a lazy week or are sick and can't exercise, do you lower your calories or still eat the same?

My impression of tdee is there would be immense pressure to keep to the same exercise levels each and every day.
    It's giving me nervous hives just thinking about it lol
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    Much prefer the MFP method myself. If I used TDEE I would be a lot less motivated to push exercise on any particular day.

Exactly. Same here!

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    To those of you who follow the TDEE method. What happens if you have a lazy week or are sick and can't exercise, do you lower your calories or still eat the same?

My impression of tdee is there would be immense pressure to keep to the same exercise levels each and every day.

I don't have lazy weeks LOL, maybe others following TDEE method are same as me?? Each to their own and whatever works :smile:
    Fitbit stops me from having any lazy days full stop, even my so called rest day is an active day with 14k minimum...recently I had a chest infection and thought it was awful that I only managed 10k! oh what a changed person I am LOL
  • leahcollett1
    Options

I don't have lazy weeks LOL, maybe others following TDEE method are same as me?? Each to their own and whatever works :smile:
    Fitbit stops me from having any lazy days full stop, even my so called rest day is an active day with 14k minimum...recently I had a chest infection and thought it was awful that I only managed 10k! oh what a changed person I am LOL

this ^ i never have lazy weeks if im physically ill, then ill naturally eat less anyway however i havent experienced that yet so time will tell i guess ha
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    @leahcollett1
    well I've been having active rest days and pushing myself more and more the rest of the time and still going strong after 2+ years ...in fact I used to get sick more before I got fit, now (touch wood!) I'm as healthy as a trout! :smiley: (where the heck did that saying come from lol, but you know what I mean hopefully :smile: )
  • Christine_72
    Options

one of the reasons I asked is because we went away for 3 days last week, and I pretty much sat on my butt the whole time. We were staying with aquaintances and I couldn't just disappear to go do my exercises. I think 6000 steps was the most I did in one day whilst there.

• LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    @christinev297 when we work out our TDEE we can factor in if we only do for example 3 days of exercise, our overall TDEE will be lower accordingly...
    On a day IF I did lower steps I'd just TRY to eat less...try being the operative word LOL, when you're used to eating 2000+ cals a day its really hard to go lower....
  • leahcollett1
    Options

one of the reasons I asked is because we went away for 3 days last week, and I pretty much sat on my butt the whole time. We were staying with aquaintances and I couldn't just disappear to go do my exercises. I think 6000 steps was the most I did in one day whilst there.

ahh yes, i had this dilema two weeks ago i went on holiday didnt train, ate over calories too. so i gained 4lbs, which came off last week thank god when i got striaght back to it :smile:

@runrutheerun, yea i try and get a coupld of walks in on my rest days today is the first actual do nothing day im doing as tomorrow im getting weighed and ive done body combat twice, zumba once and walked 2.5 mils yeatersday!"
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Thanks guys. I'm probably waaay over thinking it...
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I did the MFP method for weightloss, but now do TDEE for maintenance.
  • leahcollett1
    Options
    my TDEE from scoody workshop gives me 1750 calores every day to play with, this is incoporating 1-3 hours a week of light exercise,
  • leahcollett1
    Options

When I go away on vacation, I don't track at all, so no worries here about whether my TDEE was affected, lol.

I only work out three times a week, so there's not usually an issue with getting that amount of exercise in. Most of my TDEE is made up of my job, so that would be the same anyway. I guess I just figure that if I'm less active one week, it won't make much difference. If I were less active consistently, then the scale would tell me and I'll make adjustments then. So long as I stay in my range, I figure it must be working. On Wed. I skipped the cardio portion of my workout because I got off work two hours late. I did the strength training and went home to cook dinner. I'm not worried about that affecting my TDEE. I mean, I'm sure if I did it every workout it would matter, but once? Not too worried.

have you been successful on TDEE? @HappyCampr1
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

I don't have lazy weeks.

If I'm sick and can't exercise, I'll naturally eat less.

If something comes up for a couple of days, my goal is to maintain within a range, not at a particular weight, and it's exceedingly unlikely that such a scenario would push me out of that range.

It's not immense pressure; it's motivation.

• Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I've done both, and for the most part, it works out about the same for me. But my appetite doesn't always sync with my calorie burn. Sometimes I'm hungrier on a rest day, and have to almost force myself to eat after a long run.

MFP method is good for me when my exercise isn't very consistent and my calorie burns are fairly low, like when I was first starting out, and when I was returning to exercise and logging after an injury. But now, I'm training for a half marathon and strength training. Using MFP methods, my calories would be all over the place, low on lifting or rest days, crazy high on running days. It's a lot easier to just go by an average of what my weekly burns would be.
  • Apud85
    Apud85 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    This is my first week using the TDEE method. I have been using the MFP method since April and have lost about 8 lbs. (8 more to go). The MFP method has been a little stressful for me because I would obsess over fitting in exercise each day just so that I could have more calories to eat. Using the TDEE method this week, I feel much more relaxed knowing that I have the whole week to fit in my 1-3 hours of exercise, which is usually not an issue because I'm pretty active and enjoy the gym. The only thing I miss about the MFP method is on Fridays and Saturdays, I would do a longer work out so that I could have more calories to spend on dinner/drinks out. Now, I'm not so sure how I do that with TDEE . . . ? If I exceed my 1700 calories, I guess I'll just do a longer workout this weekend?

Anyways, I think it does just come down to personal preference and it's largely psychological which one a person prefers. Good luck!!
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options

I don't have lazy weeks. I have a training plan and I stick to it.

TDEE - X% calories that I eat are a little under my sedentary maintenance, so I'm not going to gain if I eat that amount without exercise. So if I'm sick and still eat my calories, I'd still lose slowly, just slower. If I miss a day of exercising because whatever excuse (I try to fit it in no matter what, so this rarely happens), I might not lose my projected amount that week, but I'd still lose.

When I'm truly on vacation, I don't count calories and just stay active. I always aim for at least 10,000 steps a day no matter what unless I'm seriously bed ridden. When I'm on vacation, we walk a lot. I usually get at least 15,000 steps on vacation plus extra activity (swimming, biking, etc).
  • cld111
    cld111 Posts: 300 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    This for me too!

And also this!
    The MFP method has been a little stressful for me because I would obsess over fitting in exercise each day just so that I could have more calories to eat.

• LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    I can't stand the fluctuations exercise causes. I use TDEE. In my opinion, it's a superior method because you learn more about how many calories it takes to lose, gain, and maintain. Having that knowledge is valuable. But, for me, there is no question about exercise. I don't need any motivation to do that.

well said :smile: