My French diet challenge (warning, high carbs)

Options

Replies

• Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    So, what's the diet? Other than your breakfast I see a list of behaviors, and your breakfast content was vague, emphasis seemed to be that your breakfast should be small. Most Americans have a carby breakfast, so I guess I'm not seeing what's so interesting about your breakfast here.
  • jtboner
    jtboner Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    So, what's the diet? Other than your breakfast I see a list of behaviors, and your breakfast content was vague, emphasis seemed to be that your breakfast should be small. Most Americans have a carby breakfast, so I guess I'm not seeing what's so interesting about your breakfast here.

I am not an expert on this diet but I can give you slight more details about the breakfast. And it is supposed to be smaller and more carb focused compared to our encouraged big breakfast with fats, carbs and protein.
    Breakfast can include:
    croissant
    cereal
    pain au chocolat
    yogurt
    fruit (not too much)
    bread/toast with jam

Here is some basic info on the breakfast, I am not an expert on this diet but I only want to see what other people think if they try it
    http://thebaguettediet.com/what-french-people-eat-for-breakfast/
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Other than the high-carb breakfast, this is pretty much how I eat.

I think of it as kind of generally Spanish (minus the white rice) but whatever. High quality, tasty foods in smaller portions are more satisfying to me than eating a lot of junk.

To each his or her own.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    jtboner wrote: »
    Lourdesong wrote: »

I am not an expert on this diet but I can give you slight more details about the breakfast. And it is supposed to be smaller and more carb focused compared to our encouraged big breakfast with fats, carbs and protein.
    Breakfast can include:
    croissant
    cereal
    pain au chocolat
    yogurt
    fruit (not too much)
    bread/toast with jam

Here is some basic info on the breakfast, I am not an expert on this diet but I only want to see what other people think if they try it
    http://thebaguettediet.com/what-french-people-eat-for-breakfast/

It really does sound like you have no idea what this diet entails. Why over complicate things? Set a calorie goal, stick to it.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Unless the "diet" is based on French food, it makes no sense. And even if it is French food, which part of France? Southern and Northern part of the country have significant differences in basic ingredients.
  • mommyvudu
    mommyvudu Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Thanks for reminding me...I think I'll have some sliced baguette and butter tomorrow night if I'm good all day (which I always am). #yum
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    What about the "Italian" diet?
    When we were visiting Italy, we did as numerous Italians did and ate a big delicious cornetto every morning! That's a huge croissant filled with cream or Nutella! Oh, and a large cup of cappuccino!
    And yet, I stilled managed to maintain! Gotta love that diet!
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I have lived in France, and you have forgotten the mandatory pre-dinner snacking at 'aperitif' time. This is when you have loads nuts, chips or other savoury snacks and a glass of wine or kir somewhere between 5-7pm. Keeps you going till your late dinner. :)
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    When we were visiting Italy, we did as numerous Italians did and ate a big delicious cornetto every morning! That's a huge croissant filled with cream or Nutella! Oh, and a large cup of cappuccino!

Don't forget the gelato!
    We were in Florence for a month last summer and I had that exact breakfast you described as well as gelato every single day. I essentially maintained during that trip. Best trip ever!

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    5-6 hours without eating doesn't seem like a big deal to me, since I typically don't eat anything for 7-8 hours after I wake up and I rarely snack. But I don't see where you would be not eating for 5-6 hours if you are eating 3 meals a day (other than while sleeping, which is true of most everyone). But, your post doesn't give much details of the diet like meal times or what you eat, other than high carb.

I do agree with high fiber though. I think that is the single most helpful thing to me when dieting.
  • litsy3
    Options
    But I don't see where you would be not eating for 5-6 hours if you are eating 3 meals a day.

French people often eat their lunch at 12pm and their dinner at 8pm.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    You've been reading this haven't you?

Chic & Slim
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    litsy3 wrote: »
    But I don't see where you would be not eating for 5-6 hours if you are eating 3 meals a day.

French people often eat their lunch at 12pm and their dinner at 8pm.

Oh, okay. Thanks! I guess that makes sense if you are having a large lunch.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    erigann wrote: »
    I just spent a few weeks in France, 1 was with my cousin who has lived in Paris 30 years.
    I ate like a French person, plus a little extra for the really good ice cream & I did lose a few pounds,
    I didn't eat super high carbs.
    I had yogurt, hard boiled eggs & fruit for breakfast. The yogurt was full fat, but much smaller portions
    Lunch was pretty normal & baguette sandwiches made with real French butter, a thin slice of meat & cheese are pretty popular.
    Dinners were longer, more courses with smaller portions, dinners were also significantly later.
    French women also do a lot of walking, a real lot.
    Drink real juices & don't have as much added sugar or corn syrup in everything, like ketchup.
    French fries were real potatoes, not frozen with added dextrose or other things.
    I miss the food so much. I've only been back a week and a half.

Yeah I miss the food so much, lol.
    litsy3 wrote: »
    I have lived in France, and you have forgotten the mandatory pre-dinner snacking at 'aperitif' time. This is when you have loads nuts, chips or other savoury snacks and a glass of wine or kir somewhere between 5-7pm. Keeps you going till your late dinner. :)

Very true!

And yeah, I forgot the cheese. Typically meals are appetizer, entree, cheese, then dessert.

But obviously it cracks me up when I hear about French women being slimmer, considering that I've always been overweight (granted, I only reached obese when I moved here).

But yes, lots and lots of walking there and if you ask me, it's the main difference.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

Don't forget the gelato!
    We were in Florence for a month last summer and I had that exact breakfast you described as well as gelato every single day. I essentially maintained during that trip. Best trip ever!
    How could I forget the gelato!?!
    And the wine and pasta-sometimes 2x a day!
    Next summer, the Amalfi coast for a month!
  • litsy3
    Options
    I was putting on weight for a little while when I moved to France, partly because I was eating more bread (bread is not the enemy, it's just easier to overeat if it's everywhere in the form of baguettes) and partly because I wasn't cycling as much. But I'm from the UK where we walk all the time too, so no real difference there. There are plenty of overweight French people though; it's pretty much like anywhere else.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    jt, i haven't read the thread but the point i want to make is if you want to eat like the french, you could do worse than reading French Women Don't Get Fat. Its a wonderful book.

Also the french i took from this book and my own experience of french food in france etc is courses. Don't eat just one course. Make your meals consist of several courses. The reason why this is a good idea is becuase it increases the variety of foods you eat and this is good becuase it means more nutrients and more nutrients means better health and easier weight management as well.

I agree that a tiny breakfast as described is not a great start if you like breakfast. And i agree that if you do eat a light breakfast like that, you may need a mid morning snack and you may also need an afternooon snack if you have to wait a long time for dinner. Generally I space my main meals 3-4 hours apart. If i have to wait longer, i will need a snack between and that's even with fairly decent sized meals.

• Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    "There are plenty of overweight French people though; it's pretty much like anywhere else."

Compared to Australia, i would say France is not the same. There are indeed overweight people but not nearly so many obese people as you see in Australia, and i suggest also America. Those countries who have good traditional cuisines which people still tend to consume seem to do better with weight management than countries where fast food is a big part of people's lives.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Patttience wrote: »
    "There are plenty of overweight French people though; it's pretty much like anywhere else."

Compared to Australia, i would say France is not the same. There are indeed overweight people but not nearly so many obese people as you see in Australia, and i suggest also America. Those countries who have good traditional cuisines which people still tend to consume seem to do better with weight management than countries where fast food is a big part of people's lives.

Yeah. I lived in France until I was 23 and only ever knew 3 very obese persons, although I knew a bunch of overweight ones.

My experience is probably not typical though as I lived in the suburbs of Paris, but the difference from what I've seen...

As kids we walked to school. No school bus. Ok sometimes my mom would drive us there, but most kids would walk. There were sidewalks everywhere though, not like here, so it was totally safe. To go to high school would take me 20 minutes. Here the school is just as far but there's no sidewalk or even crosswalks so my kids will have to take the school bus. Kids don't bring lunch, but can go home for lunch, and school lunches are healthy (meat and veggies with a piece of cheese and a small dessert, for example).

Work - I never met anyone who brought their lunch. Most big companies have a cafeteria that serve balanced foods (sure, you can find French fries sometimes, but you can get salads, veggies, fruit etc and pretty much no fried foods apart from the fries, and desserts are SMALL, and usually some kind of yogurt/pudding cup instead of a donut). Otherwise, people get lunch coupons that they can spend everywhere. There are fast food places like McDonald's, sure, but a lot of cafés, restaurants or bakeries that sell foods in reasonable portions. Apart from KFC you won't find fried chicken or fried shrimp etc. A typical lunch for me was 2 rolls of maki, or a baguette sandwich with some meat and lettuce/tomatoes, a ham and cheese crepe, or a small quiche with an eclair or something.

Anyway, if you want to think in term of food style, think Boston Market vs McDonald's. And we never had take out for dinner (heck I don't think I know anyone who did, except pizza occasionally - and pizza there is much lighter on the toppings).

People did have a coffee break with a croissant in the morning though. And yeah, 'apéritif' before dinner with some alcoholic drink was the main time we ate things like crackers, pretzels, goldfish, nuts etc.

And obviously I walked everywhere (or took the subway, but again, you have to walk to the station and walk from one station to another when changing trains). You don't really get the huge housing communities that you have here - in most places you can walk to a grocery store and bakery at least.

But again, that was 15 years ago (gosh now I feel old) so who knows what it's like now.
  • cat_lady77
    cat_lady77 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    ^I think you are right, it's more of the lifestyle than a particular diet. I visited Europe for about a month & the whole culture really impressed me. Food in France was amazing & plentiful (so were the smokers unfortunately) but people walked everywhere & didn't seem to really overdo it. Same with Italy & Switzerland.
    I think they pay more attention to the quality of food & the occasion to enjoy it rather than its convenience. McDonald's cost a fortune, but you could buy fresh fruit, bread, & meats at the farmers market in the town center for super cheap. I would love to have that kind of culture here. The only thing that really frustrated me was the lack of water. You had to buy a big bottle for the table at meals & I was dying in the middle of July!