TDEE method vs MFP

Options

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    yes this is what i found out, however as a whole im really consistant and i love les mill combat i think its awesome so i get my motivation from that, 80lbs is a massive achievement!!! :)

I love Les Mills Combat too. Done it twice so far, waiting for school to start again and I'll do it a third time. Just no idea how many calories it burns, I'm guessing not that many though.

Yep it burns between 400-800 calories depending on fitness and individual effort

I love Les Mills too and use it for my cardio on my non lifting days, but even as a guy, I doubt think burns would be that high.

Ditto. 400 maybe for a 55 minutes class, but even then I have doubts, as the effort isn't constant.
  • leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    yes this is what i found out, however as a whole im really consistant and i love les mill combat i think its awesome so i get my motivation from that, 80lbs is a massive achievement!!! :)

I love Les Mills Combat too. Done it twice so far, waiting for school to start again and I'll do it a third time. Just no idea how many calories it burns, I'm guessing not that many though.

Yep it burns between 400-800 calories depending on fitness and individual effort

For 55 minutes I get about 450 calories when I was heavier it was a good 600
    I love Les Mills too and use it for my cardio on my non lifting days, but even as a guy, I doubt think burns would be that high.

Ditto. 400 maybe for a 55 minutes class, but even then I have doubts, as the effort isn't constant.

• FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    @FatMoojor check out a TDEE calculator and you'll see the exercise variations...try scoobyworkshop..you can play around with it, choose less, then choose more exercise and see the difference in calories it gives you.
    Its not complicated :smile:

I'm guessing I'm not putting the question correctly. The use of the calculators is easy. I know how to use them and have used a number to work out an average based on the variations from them.
    My question is to people who have been using TDEfor a while as to what they do and how well that ties in with the standard calcs.
    E.g. If they are doing 1 hour a day for 5 times a week then the 3-5 day number was close but they adjusted by X, or you have someone doing 15 hours a week training they did Y.

Is tdee better for when everyday training is of the same length, I guess is the simplistic way of asking.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    To those of you who follow the TDEE method. What happens if you have a lazy week or are sick and can't exercise, do you lower your calories or still eat the same?

My impression of tdee is there would be immense pressure to keep to the same exercise levels each and every day.
    It's giving me nervous hives just thinking about it lol

For me, life isnt all about losing weight, so if i dont exercise that week because lofe gets in the way, i recognize that i wont lose. And then the next week i am back on the horse. Or if i know i cant exercise i drop my intake a few hundred calories
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    FatMoojor wrote: »
    @FatMoojor check out a TDEE calculator and you'll see the exercise variations...try scoobyworkshop..you can play around with it, choose less, then choose more exercise and see the difference in calories it gives you.

I'm guessing I'm not putting the question correctly. The use of the calculators is easy. I know how to use them and have used a number to work out an average based on the variations from them.
    My question is to people who have been using TDEfor a while as to what they do and how well that ties in with the standard calcs.
    E.g. If they are doing 1 hour a day for 5 times a week then the 3-5 day number was close but they adjusted by X, or you have someone doing 15 hours a week training they did Y.

Is tdee better for when everyday training is of the same length, I guess is the simplistic way of asking.

yeah, pretty much...it has to be pretty general to account for a large population...so yeah...you workout 5 days per week and pick 3-5...make adjustments as appropriate over the next several weeks.

it doesn't matter if everyday training is the same length...I have days where I train twice per day...days when I train once per day...get out of the mindset of day to day...big picture...look at weeks...everything nets out in the end. so you're going to have days where you might be in a bigger deficit or smaller deficit or no deficit...but at the end of the week, it all comes out in the wash. You're really overthinking this and drowning in the minutia.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I don't eat the calories that any calculator has ever provided me with...I only used the calculator as a tool to come up with a reasonable estimate to get started with...my calorie targets are based on my own data and real world results...these trump any calculator. These calculators are far from gospel so stop treating them like they are...look at them as a simple tool to help you get started, not the be all and end all.

:drinker:

Listen to this man.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options

Ok I get ya, personally I do same hours of workouts every week without fail, if I didn't for some reason then I'd have to eat a bit less unless it was only a one off day or two.
    It's a matter of gathering your own stats over a period of say a month...

• leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    Options

I think it doesn't matter when you get the exercise in as long as it gets done I have to do 1-3 hours a week so I tend to do 4 50 minute classes
    Ok I get ya, personally I do same hours of workouts every week without fail, if I didn't for some reason then I'd have to eat a bit less unless it was only a one off day or two.
    It's a matter of gathering your own stats over a period of say a month...

• michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options

it's trial and error. You pick an activity range, plug in your stats, see the magic number appear, try eating at said magic number for a length of time (probably about 4 weeks) to see what your weight does and if the number is appropriate, and tweak when/if necessary to fit you more personally. trial and error.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    When using tdee is exercise based on one hour a day. As most say 3-5 day or some such.
    So a 3 hour training run on a Sunday is 3 days worth?
    If you're using an online calculator it will ask for how many days exercise you do and that will be accounted for in the TDEE figure it gives you.

That's the thing. I walk for roughly 3 hours everyday, 7 days a week. But there's no way I'd call myself highly active, which is intense sport 7 days a week according to the tdee activity level calculators. But I don't fit into the 3 days a week thing either. That's another reason why going the tdee route worries me.

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    When using tdee is exercise based on one hour a day. As most say 3-5 day or some such.
    If you're using an online calculator it will ask for how many days exercise you do and that will be accounted for in the TDEE figure it gives you.

That's the thing. I walk for roughly 3 hours everyday, 7 days a week. But there's no way I'd call myself highly active, which is intense sport 7 days a week according to the tdee activity level calculators. But I don't fit into the 3 days a week thing either. That's another reason why going the tdee route worries me.

If you pick up the pace for one of those hours, you can easily call yourself moderate.

Try this calculator

http://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced

(change it from male to female, i missed that the first time i tried it)

the thing to do is eat at a certain amount and then see what the scale does given your current activity. that is how you know your real tdee, the calculators only give estimates. if you gain, eat less.

except you might have to slowly build up if you've been eating very low calories for a long time. i don't know how to do that, because i have basically never been in that situation :/

my tdee is high for what the calculators tell me *shrug*
  • cld111
    cld111 Posts: 300 Member
    Options

But you have a Fitbit so you know what your TDEE is already. You could just use that number if you wanted to try this method out.
  • tomatoey
    Options
  • Christine_72
    edited August 2015
    Options
    cld111 wrote: »

But you have a Fitbit so you know what your TDEE is already. You could just use that number if you wanted to try this method out.

Doh :flushed: Correct, this didn't even occur to me. My fitbit says my tdee is 2207.

Thanks @tomatoey I'll check out the link xx

• tomatoey
    Options

Doh :flushed: Correct. My fitbit says my tdee is 2207.

Thanks @tomatoey I'll check out the link xx

np :)
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »

That's only "exercise" - that's not lifestyle.
  • cld111
    cld111 Posts: 300 Member
    Options

Doh :flushed: Correct, this didn't even occur to me. My fitbit says my tdee is 2207.

Fitbit solves all problems. :p
  • Christine_72
    Options

Fitbit solves all problems. :p

That it does :lol: It takes the mental aerobics out of the equation! !

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Since I stopped doing cardio and don't burn much weight lifting, MFP basically gives me my TDEE. I use that but I'll work in a range between 1800-1900.
  • tomatoey
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    tomatoey wrote: »

That's only "exercise" - that's not lifestyle.

What, hunting and gathering isn't exercise?

Yeah it doesn't account for NEAT, obviously.