Low carb help while using My Fitness Pal

Options
I started using my fitness pal about 8 weeks ago now and I love it. I have a large amount of weight to lose (in excess of 200 pounds) It has been recommended I go to a low carb diet format for several reasons including that carbs and I do not mesh well. So I am on 20-22 grams of net carbs a day. In trying to stick to 20 grams of carbs with the My Fitness Pal food log I have found it is impossible to even reach 1000 calories and keep my carbs at this level unless I load on the fats which I do not want to go overboard with and I also still need to meet my nutrition needs. In comparing net carbs on Atkins food list and the carbs from My fitness Pal log they are considerably different. Does anyone know if the carb measurement used by my fitness pal is net carbs or gross carbs? Also I would appreciate any tips and advice by other low carb eaters out there as to best ways to get the nutrition and still be under the acceptable 20 g induction amount. I need to at least get in 1000-1200 calories or I am going to run into trouble. Ironically eating enough is my new problem, where before it was cutting back that was the problem.

Thanks In advance for your input

Replies

• greycee67
    greycee67 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi Lisa! Have you heard of the State Of Slim? I went to my endocrinologist for him to tell me I am basically old and fat.. that is why my diabetes was out of control. He told me to buy this book. It has changed my world.. I have lost 40 lbs since march, I am off almost all of my meds.. It is written by 2 Doctors out of Denver, Colorado that are weight loss experts and run a weight loss clinic. The TV show extreme weight loss has the people do the boot camp at their clinic. It is worth looking into.. you can add me as a friend if you like :) they also have a facebook page that you can follow...
  • Brin1956
    Brin1956 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I need to go low carbs and low fat. I just ordered a spiralizator to make zucchini and carrot noodles. I know my love for carbs is not a healthy one. I tried a paleo diet but hubby wasn't happy with the recipes. I loved them but they were more work. The eggplant lasagna I thought was a keeper but hubby wants his carbs. Have you looked at THM recipes too? I looked on Pinterest.com for recipes for both diets and came up with a lot of substitutes for a carb lover like me. I don't want to say no for the rest of my life I want an alternative that is better for me. I'm counting calories right now but plan to leave my husband for 5 months and do a combination of both of these diets. Will be different not cooking for anyone but me.

You really should not go less than 1300 to 1400 calories a day with only light exercise. Try some of the higher calorie dishes with the low carb.
  • LisaCullen2
    LisaCullen2 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Brin1956 wrote: »
    I need to go low carbs and low fat. I just ordered a spiralizator to make zucchini and carrot noodles. I know my love for carbs is not a healthy one. I tried a paleo diet but hubby wasn't happy with the recipes. I loved them but they were more work. The eggplant lasagna I thought was a keeper but hubby wants his carbs. Have you looked at THM recipes too? I looked on Pinterest.com for recipes for both diets and came up with a lot of substitutes for a carb lover like me. I don't want to say no for the rest of my life I want an alternative that is better for me. I'm counting calories right now but plan to leave my husband for 5 months and do a combination of both of these diets. Will be different not cooking for anyone but me.

You really should not go less than 1300 to 1400 calories a day with only light exercise. Try some of the higher calorie dishes with the low carb.

Thanks Brin1956 fortunately for me I am not missing carbs at all. I am not really a carb person my problem is reconciling the my fitness pal apps algorithm as it seems to be calculating in gross carbs not net carbs so if I keep it under 20 grams in the fitness pal calculation it is not accurate because it is not deducting the fibre to come up with net carbs. If that is the case there is no way to eat accurately on the low carb induction phase and still make the calorie count I need.

Recipes are not an issue as I am a chef, those I have in abundance it is just that adding them into my fitness pal still generates them as higher gross carbs rather than the needed net carb calculation.

I am required to be 1000-1200 calories I am not doing mild exercise as I am completely wheelchair bound and sedentary this calorie count comes from my bariatric doctors and nutritionist. I am also on permanent steroids to keep fluid from my brain so I would not lose any weight if I went above that calorie count or went on an eating plan that included moderate carbs. It does make things more complicated when exercise is limited to range of motion that's for sure. So far I have lost 67 pounds and I know at my extreme weight it comes off very quickly initially but even that amount has improved how I feel. Even my diabetes has improved and no more meds for it.

I love zuchinni noodles and I live on spaghetti squash, tomatoes tend to be higher carb veggies than some so those are going to be tough to cut back on a bit but fortunately for me most carbs I am ok without.. I just don't think about desert any more LOL

• LisaCullen2
    Options
    greycee67 wrote: »
    Hi Lisa! Have you heard of the State Of Slim? I went to my endocrinologist for him to tell me I am basically old and fat.. that is why my diabetes was out of control. He told me to buy this book. It has changed my world.. I have lost 40 lbs since march, I am off almost all of my meds.. It is written by 2 Doctors out of Denver, Colorado that are weight loss experts and run a weight loss clinic. The TV show extreme weight loss has the people do the boot camp at their clinic. It is worth looking into.. you can add me as a friend if you like :) they also have a facebook page that you can follow...

I have not heard of the "State of Slim" until just not lol I will look into this it sounds interesting! Because I am so heavy the weight has been coming off very easily so far 67 pounds and I too was out of control with newly dx'd diabetes and I am wheelchair bound so exercise is not on the same degree as it was when I was not disabled. I am now off my diabetes meds when I went low carb everything balanced out to normal again. I am going to check out the "State of Slim" Thank you :smile:
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

@Brin1956 , don't mean to derail, but are you leaving your husband for 5mths so you can eat a low carb diet? Apologies if that's not what you meant..

• allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    Options

approx Serving Size: 1/4 cup

Vegetable | Net Carbs

Artichoke 6.9
    Asparagus (6) 2.4
    Beans, green 2.9
    Beets 6.5
    Bok Choy 0.7
    Broccoli 1.7
    Brussels Sprouts 7.6
    Cabbage 1.1
    Carrot 5.1
    Cauliflower 1.5
    Celery 0.8
    Collard Greens 3.0
    Cucumber 1.8
    Eggplant 2.0
    Garlic (1 clove) 1.0
    Lettuce 0.5
    Mushroom 1.0
    Onion 4.0
    Parsnip 9.0
    Peas 6.5
    Peppers, Green 3.4
    Peppers, Red 3.3
    Pickle (1 medium) 2.0
    Pumpkin 6.3
    Radish 0.5
    Rutabaga 4.0
    Spinach 0.2
    Squash, yellow 1.4
    Tomato 3.2
    Turnips 2.3
    Zucchini 3.3

Fruit / net carbs
    Applesauce 6.2
    Apricot (1 whole) 3.1
    Avocado (1 whole) 0.5
    Cantaloupe 3.0
    Carambola/Starfruit (1 whole) 3.0
    Cherries 4.2
    Coconut 1.3
    Grapes 6.7
    Grapefruit (1 whole) 9.0
    Honeydew 3.6
    Kiwi 6.5
    Lemon (1 whole) 3.8
    Mango 6.3
    Orange (1 whole) 12.9
    Passionfruit (1 whole) 2.0
    Peach (1 whole) 8.9
    Pineapple 4.3
    Plantain 12.0
    Plum (1 whole) 7.6
    Watermelon 2.6

Berries / Net Carbs
    Acai Berry (1 oz) 5.0
    Blackberry 2.7
    Blueberry 4.1
    Boysenberry 13.0
    Cranberry 2.0
    Currant 4.0
    Elderberry 4.0
    Gooseberry 9.0
    Huckleberry (3.5 oz) 8.0
    Loganberry (3.5 oz) 8.0
    Pokeberry shoots 1.0
    Raspberry 1.5
    Salmonberry (3.5 oz) 8.0
    Strawberry 1.8
  • KarlaH9801
    KarlaH9801 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I am doing low carb as a support for my mom in law, and I have found getting my cals in to be a bit hard. A little bit of cheese or cream cheese, and using coconut or olive oil helps. My favorite veggies are cauliflower, mushrooms, broccoli,cucumber, celery, and zucchini. I love my spiralizer as well. Eggs, meat, and some nuts are great. I often have tuna, and work in low-carb wraps. In MFP, you have to manually subtract your fiber from your carbs. I try to stay under 20-22, too, with good results so far.
    Best of luck, and I hope it works for you!!
  • LisaCullen2
    Options

quote]

THANK YOU! You are amazing this will be a huge help to me! I was so discouraged be cause I love avocado and it is such a healthy food but when I log it into MFP it says the carbs are so much higher than they should be (which is what made me realize I was looking at gross carbs) seeing this list makes me smile and will make this work so much better for me thank you again
  • LisaCullen2
    Options
    KarlaH9801 wrote: »
    I am doing low carb as a support for my mom in law, and I have found getting my cals in to be a bit hard. A little bit of cheese or cream cheese, and using coconut or olive oil helps. My favorite veggies are cauliflower, mushrooms, broccoli,cucumber, celery, and zucchini. I love my spiralizer as well. Eggs, meat, and some nuts are great. I often have tuna, and work in low-carb wraps. In MFP, you have to manually subtract your fiber from your carbs. I try to stay under 20-22, too, with good results so far.

Karla do you know if there is a way to subtract the fibre manually and change the total that is showing in the log or do I just need to do this on paper and realize the numbers will not be the same? Also is there a way to have fibre show in the log it is not showing in mine, I am not sure if there is a way to change what nutrient values show.

Thank you for the information I wasn't sure if it was gross carbs for sure. I now feel so much better and realize it will work more for me now. I just couldn't imagine cutting out so many veggies because going by the gross carbs 20-22 isn't allowing for much.

So far I have lost 67 pounds so that part has been great. I was just struggling to get all the nutrients and stay under the carb count but now knowing that is a gross carb count it will be easier. :smile: Thank you and best of luck to you
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options

Karla do you know if there is a way to subtract the fibre manually and change the total that is showing in the log or do I just need to do this on paper and realize the numbers will not be the same? Also is there a way to have fibre show in the log it is not showing in mine, I am not sure if there is a way to change what nutrient values show.

Thank you for the information I wasn't sure if it was gross carbs for sure. I now feel so much better and realize it will work more for me now. I just couldn't imagine cutting out so many veggies because going by the gross carbs 20-22 isn't allowing for much.

So far I have lost 67 pounds so that part has been great. I was just struggling to get all the nutrients and stay under the carb count but now knowing that is a gross carb count it will be easier. :smile: Thank you and best of luck to you

To have fiber show up:
    Home > Settings > Account Settings > Diary Settings > Nutrients tracked~find fiber on one of the pull down menus > Save Changes.
  • LisaCullen2
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »

To have fiber show up:
    Home > Settings > Account Settings > Diary Settings > Nutrients tracked~find fiber on one of the pull down menus > Save Changes.

Thank you so much RodaRose!! :smile: Cheers
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I'm really questioning the sanity of low carb - low fat, but that's me.
  • LisaCullen2
    Options
    lodro wrote: »
    I'm really questioning the sanity of low carb - low fat, but that's me.

I never mentioned low fat... in fact on low carb you need to eat healthy fats so your body goes into fat burning mode and doesn't convert proteins to carbs to burn. I eat healthy fats, steer clear of the unhealthy fats and I have lost 67 pounds, my diabetes has been under such good control that I had to be taken off my meds because it was causing my blood sugar to be too low. Now every BS is 6.4. My LDL and triglycerides have dropped, my HDL is up and all of my doctors are thrilled to bits so I am content with it
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    That was adressed at Brin1956. Sorry
  • LisaCullen2
    Options
    lodro wrote: »
    That was adressed at Brin1956. Sorry

No worries :smile: I 100% agree that low carb and low fat is not something I would do...in removing carbs your body needs something to use for fuel and if not higher fats it will begin to convert proteins. It is a balancing game for sure in my case I am supposed to have 121 g of fat, 64 g protein and 19 g carbs to maintain ketosis
  • superman2453
    superman2453 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm back on low carb and it works amazingly well if you stick with it. I have been using a fitbit to project amount of food to eat. I have not made an progress shooting to be 1000 calorie deficit 5 days a week and on the days I do poorly at worst calorie neutral. I have been back on Low Carb diet and been 100% religious on it. I'm down 6 lbs in just 10 days and I have been only doing light weight lifting a 10K Steps a day.
  • Brin1956
    Brin1956 Posts: 168 Member
    Options

@Brin1956 , don't mean to derail, but are you leaving your husband for 5mths so you can eat a low carb diet? Apologies if that's not what you meant..
    Not the only reason why I'm leaving him for 5 months but the main one. He eats between 3500 and 4000 calories a day and most of them in the evening at home. Can't live with someone constantly eating and lose weight. That is the time of day I find that I over eat. I'm tired of asking him to eat breakfast, a large lunch and a smaller supper. He has been very good lately about not bringing sweets into the house. I'm a diabetic on insulin I have to do something.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Not the only reason why I'm leaving him for 5 months but the main one. He eats between 3500 and 4000 calories a day and most of them in the evening at home. Can't live with someone constantly eating and lose weight. That is the time of day I find that I over eat. I'm tired of asking him to eat breakfast, a large lunch and a smaller supper. He has been very good lately about not bringing sweets into the house. I'm a diabetic on insulin I have to do something.

Fair enough, I do digress that some partners make it incredibly hard to stay on the straight and narrow. My husband loves his snacks and junk food, and one would need cast iron will power to resist it every single day, which I unfortunately I do not have!

He doesn't eat breakfast or lunch, but starts eating at dinner time, and doesn't stop til bed. Which is why I often just leave him to it and go to bed earlier and watch tv.