Low-income help

Options
1235»

Replies

• melissajayne1980
    melissajayne1980 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Regarding the non-food portion of your budget, have you looked at changing your cell phone provider? Work out how much you use monthly, and then look online for comparative deals. There's often a significant saving to be made, especially if you are able to keep the same phone and just do a SIM change onto a cheaper contract or tariff. Also, energy providers, are you able to switch, or are your bills wrapped up in your rental payment? Again, there are huge savings that could be made if you can do this. I've saved hundreds on my energy bill this year by switching providers. I'm hanging onto my current mobile phone contract for now, but I'll be looking to get a better deal in the next 3-4 months. The providers count on essentially 'lazy' customers, who don't proactively check their current tariffs against the best deals in the market on a regular basis.

But I can only echo what people have said about the food - buy as much bulk produce as you can afford, invest in freezer bags and containers, and use in-season and local produce as it's always the cheapest. Think soups, stews and big one-pot dishes that can be divided up. Dried pasta and a homemade tomato sauce is way cheaper than a microwave meal - honestly! One little tip, if you're cooking something in the oven for an hour or so, always stick a few potatoes (white or sweet) in at the same time. Saves on energy costs, and you have a couple of lunches or side dishes sorted! And learn to like oatmeal for breakfast - there's nothing cheaper or more filling! I have it every single day!

Finally, you mentioned about Kraft singles being cheaper than real cheese slices - that may well be, but Kraft singles definitely won't be cheaper, pound for pound, compared to a block of cheese that you slice yourself. Use the calculator on your phone to work out the price per pound, and you'll see just how much of a premium you're paying to get the Kraft product!

Cell phone plans in Canada are pretty much the same across the board and I am with one of the cheaper providers, even though it is a part of Telus (there are three main providers, Rogers, Bell, and Telus, and they have bought up the smaller companies) . I do have a homemade tomato sauce recipe. The type of block of cheese that you are mentioning runs about $15 at Superstore and I am not much of a cheese eater and I would end up throwing most of the cheese away.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Your rent seemt so be very high compared to your income. Would it be possible to find something cheaper, hence freeing money for other things? A move doesn't need to cost much: just give a few tenners to some students with a van.

I also work 2 jobs and that helps with the rent, but only from September thru June. The apartment I live in is actually in my parents name and I rent it from them and would go for about $1400/month if they were to rent it with me not there.

Is it possible to increase your job hours?
  • vlovell24
    vlovell24 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this post. I have a 80.00 per week grocery budget for my family of 5. I do it, but it's definitely hard. I am struggling to get a protein allotment in every day because foods that are high in protein are also pricey. Greek yogurt is 5.00 per tub. That has a whole 4 servings in it, and is still far from enough. Meat is expensive period. Chicken breast is 4.00 or more a pound. I keep within my 1200 calories every day, but my macros suck. Ugh.
  • Childfree1991
    Childfree1991 Posts: 145 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Kexessa wrote: »
    I rarely grocery shop. I can't afford it at the moment (I refuse to go on food stamps though because it's too much of a hassle) and they understand. I go to 10 different food banks in my area.

I sincerely hope when you graduate college, get a job and become self sufficient you remember what these food banks did for you. Designed as a band aid to help those without food make it through a day or a week and preventing true starvation you are using as your sole source of food. I hope you take a % of every single paycheck you ever earn in your life and financially support all 10 for decades in thanks for them allowing you to suck up their resources because you find applying for SNAP to be too much of a hassle.

This.
    It IS a hassle. Too much government, too much application, potential denial, probably going to the welfare office to get a bunch of crap done. The good thing is, food banks come from people and companies who willingly donate. Food stamps...not so much. I'd rather take donations, not a % of someone's paycheck. I don't want to be in that category of people.
    I rarely grocery shop. I can't afford it at the moment (I refuse to go on food stamps though because it's too much of a hassle) and they understand. I go to 10 different food banks in my area.

I sincerely hope when you graduate college, get a job and become self sufficient you remember what these food banks did for you. Designed as a band aid to help those without food make it through a day or a week and preventing true starvation you are using as your sole source of food. I hope you take a % of every single paycheck you ever earn in your life and financially support all 10 for decades in thanks for them allowing you to suck up their resources because you find applying for SNAP to be too much of a hassle.

This.
    It IS a hassle. Too much government, too much application, potential denial, probably going to the welfare office to get a bunch of crap done. The good thing is, food banks come from people and companies who willingly donate. Food stamps...not so much. I'd rather take donations, not a % of someone's paycheck. I don't want to be in that category of people.

What is "that category of people"?

From what you have posted, you are going to several food banks because you over extended yourself on a apartment close to a campus so you don't have to ride a bus and you don't want a roommate to share expenses. Also since one of reasons you don't want to go to the welfare office is potential denial you probably have too much to be taking from food banks.

I hate to tell you, people aren't making donations to a food bank to help people in your apparent situation. It appears there is plenty you can do on your own to pay for food.
    Until you're in the same domestic violence situation, zip

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I am on a government disability pension with no food stamps (for some reason Canada doesn't give out food stamps) and minimum work due to the fact that I can only make a certain amount of money each month, which comes to under $20 grand for the year. I don't particularly carefor legumes, as I end up leaving most of them on my plate or in my bowl and avoid soups like minestrone. I get about $906, with about $525 going to my (I get about $375 for shelter costs with the 906), which leaves me about $382 for gas, bill for my cell phone and credit card and when those are paid off, I probably don't have a lot for groceries and sometimes end up having things like hot dogs or an inexpensive microwave meal because its cheap and the only thing I can basically afford. I also get Kraft singles because they are cheaper than the real cheese slices. Stuff like quiona (sorry if I misspelled it) is out of the question due to cost and usually buy white rice because I can afford it. I don't get brown rice because it is also a bit more expensive than I can afford. Can somebody direct me to a site that I can use to get low-budget healthy meal ideas? I also subscribe to a site called Budget Bytes. I would really appreciate any help. Remember I don't like legumes.

Budget Bytes is a great site. My family enjoys recipes from there.
    http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/recipeindex.htm
    http://www.budget101.com/frugal/dirt-cheap-recipes-815/

I don't know the costs of things in your area but I have been low income.

Meal planning and budgeting are super important.
    I always spent less when I shopped for 2 weeks at a time instead of more often.

Buying ingredients and cooking usually gives you more for your money than a single frozen or fast food meal.
    Eat less meat- beans, lentils, pasta, eggs, oatmeal, potatoes, pancakes, cheese, peanut butter.
    I learned to make tortillas, pizza crust, and breads. The ingredients are cheap. It just takes time.
    I learned to eat- and like- beans and lentils. http://www.lentils.ca/recipe-box/recipe-index
    I prefer white rice and mostly eat that. I buy a big bag and it lasts quite awhile.
    Homemade soup is a great dollar stretcher. Cut up meat and vegetables and put them in soup, stir fry, or casserole to make it stretch farther.
    Buy generic or store brand items.
    Buy fruit and vegetables that are in season. Visit a farmer's market.
    Garlic, onions, potatoes and carrots are good staple foods to have on hand.
    Buy foods that are filling- fiber, protein, fat.
    Canned fruits and vegetables are not bad for you. They are less optimal than fresh or frozen but do contain nutrients.
    Drink water.
    Buy items that are less processed and cut, skin, bone or shred them yourself.
    A whole chicken can give you meat for 5 or 6 meals. Chicken thighs can be cheaper than chicken breasts.
    Buy larger containers if the cost is less- compare prices per serving or use. I buy larger containers of yogurt.
    Reduce waste- use what you buy, buy frozen vegetables, use most perishable items first, buy fruits and vegetables with a longer shelf life.
    You can freeze a lot of foods so if there is a good deal on something take advantage of it.
    Popcorn can be a cheap snack. I buy a bag of kernels and pop it on the stove.

If you can buy little food then you want to get enough calories and nutrition from the food you are eating. Planning your meals and pre-logging can help.
    Maybe you can do something in exchange for meals like clean a person's house or walk their dog.
    Share cost of making a meal once a week or something with a family member or friend. Never turn down free food or meals from your family or friends if they invite you over.
    Check out food banks and any assistance programs even if you are not sure you qualify or think they are a hassle. Local churches may have programs that can help you or offer meals every so often.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options

This.

I'm glad you responded to the poverty-shamers, because I'm interested in your replies. My mom was a social worker before she retired and I know how tough it can be to get assistance. My brother is mentally ill and much of his assistance was only made possible from her countless hours advocating for him.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Some really, really great advice on this thread. To take advantage of bulk foods like a big bag of rice on sale, the first stop is something like a Food Bank (which we have here in Canada) to save a week's grocery money. Tuck that money away for the next sale. Tuck the savings away each week for further sales. Soon you have a surplus of the basics at home and don't need the more expensive convenience foods any more.

When things were very tight I made sure I had flour (salt, sugar, baking soda), powdered milk, and eggs always on hand. There are dozens of foods I could make if I just had these at the end of the month. Scrambled eggs. Pancakes. Pigs in a blanket. Biscuits. Cake. Pie. Pizza pie. Fresh noodles.

Looking back the appliance that saved me the most was my freezer. There went day old bread, bananas before they went black (for smoothies or cake) chicken carcass for soup, and celery leaves for the selfsame soup.

Superstore had a door crasher sale on a big container of blueberries. I knew the two of us could not finish them fresh. So I pre bagged most of them in snack baggies and I am still enjoying them a week later.

By the way, the rent described is very reasonable for Canada and I suspect is already subsidized.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options

This.

This.

From what you have posted, you are going to several food banks because you over extended yourself on a apartment close to a campus so you don't have to ride a bus and you don't want a roommate to share expenses. Also since one of reasons you don't want to go to the welfare office is potential denial you probably have too much to be taking from food banks.

I hate to tell you, people aren't making donations to a food bank to help people in your apparent situation. It appears there is plenty you can do on your own to pay for food.

+1.
  • earthnut
    earthnut Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Man, that's not cool. If people are going to donate, they should do better than just getting rid of what nobody can eat.
    The public regulations are super strict, but that doesn't mean that expired or dented cans are unusable. Half my pantry is made up of these, bought on sale. As long as the seal is still intact the food is safe. I hope that these foods are not just thrown out, because i can guarantee that people would be willing to take them home.
  • earthnut
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »
    I will defend that couponing comment to Americans - here in Canada we don't have the option of "extreme couponing" type savings because coupons are almost always "one per customer" or "one per household" and there is almost always also fine print saying it doesn't combine with any other savings. Nor do we have grocery stores that double the amount like you have down here. Coupons are definitely not going to get you major savings up here, unfortunately.

Most Americans think they can't extreme coupon for the same reasons. The rules you mention are pretty much universal. Not that many stores double, none in my area. There are tons of rules and restrictions. Extreme couponing is quite difficult to do no matter where you are. In the vast majority of cases, coupons don't save you a lot. I will only use coupons on items already on sale. If I get both a manufacturer coupon and a store coupon for the same item, I consider myself lucky. Couponing is a big game. You have to enjoy the "hunt" or it drives you crazy.
  • earthnut
    Options
    The type of block of cheese that you are mentioning runs about $15 at Superstore and I am not much of a cheese eater and I would end up throwing most of the cheese away.

Do you have a freezer? You could grate the cheese, put it in a plastic bag, and it will keep for months in the freezer. It defrosts so fast when grated I just sprinkle frozen cheese directly on what I'm eating.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

This.

This.

I'm sorry for your domestic violence situation, but if you throw stuff out on a public forum people will question. I still wonder what "that category of people" is? Maybe those with health, domestic violence, mental issues?

No need to be shaming them. Have a good day.
  • Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    earthnut wrote: »
    The type of block of cheese that you are mentioning runs about $15 at Superstore and I am not much of a cheese eater and I would end up throwing most of the cheese away.

Do you have a freezer? You could grate the cheese, put it in a plastic bag, and it will keep for months in the freezer. It defrosts so fast when grated I just sprinkle frozen cheese directly on what I'm eating.

I never thought about freezing shredded cheese. I guess they do it all the time on frozen pizzas. I dont have a need to stash cheese but my son will go through packages of it in a week. Then when I want it for salad or something it's gone already. If it's frozen he won't look twice. Nice tip!

OP, does this link http://www.foodbankscanada.ca/utility-pages/find-a-food-bank.aspx help you find a food bank near you?
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Eggs have the most protein for cheap here. The suggestion of pancakes was a good one! Cheap and you can mix up add on ingredients like banana, cinnamon, etc.

You can't go to more than one foodbank here. You have to register with one and they don't want you going to any in another community etc. The smaller towns have it more difficult, less donations, etc.

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Eggs are cheap protein. When/if there isn't money for meat, eggs will keep you going.
  • CurlyGurla
    CurlyGurla Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Many great ideas here! I am a fan of couponing. I'm not an extreme couponer, but use coupons to my advantage. There are many layers to couponing, and most websites do the work for you. I'm in FL and shop Publix for groceries and CVS for toiletries. I never stopped these stores before couponing. Start with these basics:
    Pick a store; find a website that matches the ad with avail (printable) coupons; learn the lingo (most sites have a couponing 101 section); learn the ad dates; learn the sale rotation (same product is usually on sale every 8-12 weeks or so); learn the store's coupon policy; shop sales; use coupons; save receipts for rebates. I am able to shop for myself and to donate to a local homeless shelter with the deals I put together. Be creative. Think outside the box. Best wishes to you...
  • melissajayne1980
    melissajayne1980 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    earthnut wrote: »

That is definitely doable. Thanks for the suggestion!
  • Fitforevermore
    Fitforevermore Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    http://agirlcalledjack.com/ This chef is great. She lived on about £5 a day for her and her child for a while and cooked great meals, now she's a bit better off, but anyway the recipes are great.