Sugar Cravings

Options
What can I do to help alleviate sugar cravings?

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Have some sugar.
  • emmalpoppy
    emmalpoppy Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Lol do not eat sugar, cut back carbs. And make sure the carbs you are eating are healthy carbs. The more bread and crap I eat the more sugar I crave. I've always had a serious sweet tooth but can really lessen the cravings by eating less carbs and mainly just those found in veggies and such.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Jefbro98 wrote: »
    What can I do to help alleviate sugar cravings?
    Find a way to make it fit in your calorie goal and eat some sugar. Or, if you don't want to do that, just cope.

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    emmalpoppy wrote: »
    Lol do not eat sugar, cut back carbs. And make sure the carbs you are eating are healthy carbs. The more bread and crap I eat the more sugar I crave. I've always had a serious sweet tooth but can really lessen the cravings by eating less carbs and mainly just those found in veggies and such.

I agree with this. The only way I found to get rid of my sugar and carb cravings was reduce my sugar to almost zero and keep my carb intake very low. The first few days were difficult but I feel much better.
  • _The_Lone_Wolf_
    _The_Lone_Wolf_ Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I had those last week when i cut out added sugars, dont have those cravings anymore but damn it was pretty intense for a couple days, hold on!
  • Jefbro98
    Jefbro98 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Seems like the general consensus here is just to hold on and fight the cravings. Well that's what I've been trying to do, and I'll keep fighting but I think sugar should be considered another type of drug!
  • louise13dunstan
    louise13dunstan Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Sugar breeds sugar. If u cut back carbs and up ur fat intake I promise u will stop having cravings and feel more satisfied and lose weight. Fat doesnt make u fat, sugar does
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Sugar breeds sugar. If u cut back carbs and up ur fat intake I promise u will stop having cravings and feel more satisfied and lose weight. Fat doesnt make u fat, sugar does

You're completely wrong. A caloric surplus makes you fat.
    emmalpoppy wrote: »

What's a healthy carb? Oh, and carbohydrates are a sugar... hmm
  • louise13dunstan
    Options
    Sugar raises ur insulin giving u energy slumps and cravings. Fact. Fat keeps u fuller for longer and ur body can process easy fact.
    If u cut carbs and raise fat, eat when hungru stop when full, calorie counting goes out the window and u can enjoy real natural food knowing ur body is digesting and working as it was built. Have a look at "butter makes your pants fall off"
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Nevertheless, this is completely correct.

So no matter how you choose to create a deficit, it is the deficit that causes you to lose weight and the surplus that causes you to gain weight, and that is all there is to it. Sugar does not make you fat. Fat does not make you lose weight.
  • louise13dunstan
    Options
    It is right BUT what I am trying to point out is, the very reason most people end up eating more calories is down the carbs and sugar that make u feel hungry all the time. Eating fat keeps ur body satisfied longer so u eat less and u lose weight. Plus ur eating proper food with food fats and the nutrients u can use.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options

I am not sure what you mean by "sugar breeds sugar". Are you saying that if you eat 6g of sugar it will convert to 12g??? 18g??? 24g??? once eaten?

I don't think that your assumption that if people replace carbs with fat that you can PROMISE them that they will lose weight. Weight loss is determined by eating less than your body needs to perform the activity level that you execute.

Fat can make you fat...protein can make you fat...carbs can make you fat. Anytime that you consume more calories than what you burn...regardless of what food that it is...you will gain weight.

I will give you however...you can eat shlt load of veggies and not exceed your calorie limit as long as you don't load them down with fat...cheese...dressings...etc...etc.

• Blueseraphchaos
    Options
    I will agree with the idea that to cut sugar cravings, sometimes cutting processed carbs for awhile can break the sugar cravings.

And fat and protein and fiber tend to be more satiating.

But usually, either you can work something you are craving into your calories for the day, or you can tough out the craving until it passes. Toughing it out can include adding more protein and fat and cutting back on processed carbs for awhile and seeing how that works.
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Options
    I'll also add that telling someone to eat only until full can be terrible advice because many people trying to lose weight on here are overweight because they do not understand how to eat intuitively. Mfp is a great tool for learning that, but until then, that advice can be worthless without any extra knowledge of the poster's problems.
  • ebolus101
    ebolus101 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm going to suggest more fats, a teaspoon of coconut oil if it fits your calories when you get cravIngs and l glutamine. Works for me
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options

So no matter how you choose to create a deficit, it is the deficit that causes you to lose weight and the surplus that causes you to gain weight, and that is all there is to it. Sugar does not make you fat. Fat does not make you lose weight.

That totally depends on your individual metabolism. If you're insulin resistant or (pre) diabetic, sugar will make you fat via insulin spikes and the weight you lose on a low caloric diet with carbs probably comes about because calories are so low that it is essentially a low carb diet.
  • lodro
    Options
    I will agree with the idea that to cut sugar cravings, sometimes cutting processed carbs for awhile can break the sugar cravings.

But usually, either you can work something you are craving into your calories for the day, or you can tough out the craving until it passes. Toughing it out can include adding more protein and fat and cutting back on processed carbs for awhile and seeing how that works.

You suppose willpower is infinite. It isn't.
  • lodro
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »

I am not sure what you mean by "sugar breeds sugar". Are you saying that if you eat 6g of sugar it will convert to 12g??? 18g??? 24g??? once eaten?

I don't think that your assumption that if people replace carbs with fat that you can PROMISE them that they will lose weight. Weight loss is determined by eating less than your body needs to perform the activity level that you execute.

Fat can make you fat...protein can make you fat...carbs can make you fat. Anytime that you consume more calories than what you burn...regardless of what food that it is...you will gain weight.

I will give you however...you can eat shlt load of veggies and not exceed your calorie limit as long as you don't load them down with fat...cheese...dressings...etc...etc.

I challenge you to eat up to, say, 1500 calories when you eat 85% fat and less than 20g carbohydrate. Not an easy task, I can assure you.

• Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    ebolus101 wrote: »
    I'm going to suggest more fats, a teaspoon of coconut oil if it fits your calories when you get cravIngs and l glutamine. Works for me

Your recommending glutamine supplements because someone likes sweets?

Here is an overview of glutamine...

http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/supplement/glutamine

I'll start with the precautions...

Precautions

Because of the potential for side effects and interactions with medications, you should take dietary supplements only under the supervision of a knowledgeable health care provider.

Glutamine appears to be safe in doses up to 14 g or higher per day, but you should only take doses this high under the supervision of a health care provider.

Glutamine powder should not be added to hot beverages because heat destroys this amino acid. Glutamine supplements should also be kept in a dry location.

People with kidney disease, liver disease, or Reye syndrome (a rare, sometimes fatal disease of childhood that is generally associated with aspirin use) should not take glutamine.

Many elderly people have decreased kidney function and may need to reduce the dose of glutamine.

Glutamine is different from glutamate (glutamic acid), monosodium glutamate, and gluten. Glutamine should not cause symptoms (headaches, facial pressure, tingling, or burning sensation) associated with sensitivity to monosodium glutamate. People who are gluten sensitive can use glutamine without problems. However, some people may be sensitive to glutamine, which is completely separate from gluten.

• Blueseraphchaos
    Options
    lodro wrote: »

You suppose willpower is infinite. It isn't.

No, i don't suppose willpower is infinite. Where did i say that? Or indicate that i supposed it? This is why i said toughing it out can include cutting back on processed carbs. Or eliminating them entirely for awhile. Sometimes there is no way to tough out a craving except by elimination. Either way, it is highly likely that someone is going to have this craving for awhile until it passes. There is no option but to find a way to tough it out tolerably.
    lodro wrote: »

That totally depends on your individual metabolism. If you're insulin resistant or (pre) diabetic, sugar will make you fat via insulin spikes and the weight you lose on a low caloric diet with carbs probably comes about because calories are so low that it is essentially a low carb diet.

I keep forgetting that every single post that anyone puts anywhere must be prefaced with "BARRING ANY MEDICAL CONDITIONS, ETC ETC." but it's still about cico, even if the calories out part of the equation has a medical problem added to it.

I of all people understand this.