Calculating TDEE once and for all! And using FitBit!

Options
2»

Replies

• linka411
    linka411 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    What kind of weight training to you suggest?

Do you have the money for a personal trainer session? That's an effective way to go. The trainers at gyms give great advice. I prefer the pullys and freeweights. But that's just me.
    Sadly no, I'm unemployed right now :(. I'd have to talk it out with my husband like I did with the fitbit. He might say yes to just one, but I'd have to see. I'll try though.
  • luckydays27
    luckydays27 Posts: 552 Member
    Options

What kind of weight training to you suggest? Machines or lifting? I'm pretty new to this kind of exercise so I guess I don't know what would be appropriate. I was going to do lifting once I hit my weight goal, but if I can try it a little bit now I guess if it's worth a shot.

I do a combination of machines, free weights, body weight stuff, TRX and whatever else comes my way either on my own or with my trainer.

If you are looking for a routine to do, and have access to a gym or heavy weights, look at the New Rules of Lifting For Women book or Stronglifts 5x5's. These routines use compound movements so you are hitting many muscle groups with each lift. these are great resources. I am fortunate enough to have a great trainer that fits in my budget so I use him but once I feel comfortable for going it on my own, I will probably start the New Rules routine.

If you dont have access to a gym or weights, try googling body weight exercises. There are tons of things you can do to build strength without using weights at all.

My personal favorite routine right now is TRX. I have a knock off version of the strap for about 1/5 the price of the original TRX strap. I like suspension training because you determine how difficult the exercises are based on the angle in which you do your exercise. AND if you are in proper form, EVERY exercise works the core muscles. There are tons of routines out there. I have improved my strength so much since I incorporated it to my weekly exercise plans.

No matter what you do, incorporate strength training into your routine. Try to lift as heavy as you can so you can complete the set and doing it in good form. If you cant maintain form for the set, then reduce the weights until you can. Form is key with weight training. Loads of how to's on you tube.

IMHO, I dont think you need to lose 10 lbs to start. You are at a good weight for your height. Any weight loss could end up costing you more muscle loss. I think you should go strength training with heavy weights now and see where it takes you. You will probably be surprised how quickly your body fat changes, even if you weight barely changes at all.
  • linka411
    linka411 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I've heard of stronglifts, and I was planning on trying it after I lost the weight. I'm willing to try it now though (actually I was working on my squat posture yesterday to prep :smile: ). I'll try that, and a couple of machines I've tried that seem fun.

In total I'm hoping to lose a little weight, tone up and eat healthier. I'll take the advice here and try to implement it as much as I can and let's see what happens with time! Thank you so much everyone for your help with my questions, I really appreciate it.

Here's a smiley flower to show my appreciation :flowerforyou:
  • katies180
    katies180 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I have been using my fitbit since early December, along with my HRM to record gym classes such as Zumba (double burn on hrm) and circuits, snowboarding and snowshoeing (using poles moving uphill burns more than fitbit records) and also for running (I live in the mountains, and found that my fitbit as not accurately recording my burns for my runs and hikes)

On the fitbit website my 30 day average burn is 2521, with an average of 2074. Am I correct in understanding that the burn is my TDEE? I have been trying to get my numbers right, and want to start eating at a cut of my TDEE (which according to the fitbit averages I am already). However if I stop entering exercise into MFP my average expenditure on fitbit will fall?

I am have always been careful in recording the start time and duration of my activities when logging on MFP, and recording my intake too. And if my average intake is around 2074 then surely I would be seeing a loss of weight? My weight has remained the same since I started, taking into account normal fluctuations, although I feel less lean than before, but I think than is due to the fact I haven't been doing weight training as much lately.

I am quite confused, and don't want to be over recording. I am losing too much time searching on the forums, and I hope someone could help clear the confusion for me!

Thank you.
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

24, 5'3'', 129, looking to build muscle and drop body fat from 37% down to 20.

Where did you get your BF% from?

I am 25, 5'3", 150, and my estimated BF% is 35%.

I know different body types, different compositions are possible at the same weight, but that still seems like a very high BF% for someone at a healthy weight according to BMI.

ETA: I have seen the answer to this question now.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    OP if you let me know some measurements I may be able to help narrow down your body fat level as it seems really high.

Hips
    Abdomen at belly button
    Height

In inches, and measure each part average of three.

Pm me if you don't want to share that with the world!

It's not exact but the chart I use from protein power seems to be as close as I can get to my own 7 point calliper readings and I rate it. My scale bf readings can go screw themselves, and the hand held gym ones!

EDIT

Doh, didn't read entire thread, just seen your numbers....hang on...

31.11% body fat. (Though it will be different varying on your bone structure too, but it's a rough start)

I was about there two years ago at a few pounds heavier than I am now. I'd lost a lot of LBM from incorrect dietary habits.

I'm now about 20%, though I got down to about 17% after my cut and before my clean bulk. Now very slowly losing 1-2lbs before my triathlon season.

Don't cut more than 10/15% below TDEE, heavy lift to keep any muscle you have, and look forward to your bulk, it's the most fun ever! You won't believe how sexy your body will get!
  • hamelle2
    hamelle2 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    In just to point out that you will not gain muscle while in a deficit. It is still important to exercise and eat plenty of protein so you retain the muscle you already have. Once you have lost the fat weight, then you can do a bulk (lift heavy weights while in a calorie surplus) if you so choose to.
  • hamelle2
    hamelle2 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Quiet Bloom, Thank you for the above advice. (I havent figured out the quote thing yet)
    Straight forward and easy to follow.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I have been using my fitbit since early December, along with my HRM to record gym classes such as Zumba (double burn on hrm) and circuits, snowboarding and snowshoeing (using poles moving uphill burns more than fitbit records) and also for running (I live in the mountains, and found that my fitbit as not accurately recording my burns for my runs and hikes)

On the fitbit website my 30 day average burn is 2521, with an average of 2074. Am I correct in understanding that the burn is my TDEE? I have been trying to get my numbers right, and want to start eating at a cut of my TDEE (which according to the fitbit averages I am already). However if I stop entering exercise into MFP my average expenditure on fitbit will fall?

I am have always been careful in recording the start time and duration of my activities when logging on MFP, and recording my intake too. And if my average intake is around 2074 then surely I would be seeing a loss of weight? My weight has remained the same since I started, taking into account normal fluctuations, although I feel less lean than before, but I think than is due to the fact I haven't been doing weight training as much lately.

I am quite confused, and don't want to be over recording. I am losing too much time searching on the forums, and I hope someone could help clear the confusion for me!

Thank you.

I think your understanding of it is correct - your average burn according to your FitBit is equivalent to your TDEE. Your average intake is what you are recording in MFP, and from the numbers you mentioned it does look like you are at about a 500 cal deficit, so yes, you should be seeing weight loss if this has been going on since early December. If you are not, then I go back to the advice that is always given in the "why am I not losing" threads? Are you recording everything? Are you weighing/measuring your foods?

It is possible, if you are entering a lot of different exercises in MFP you may be getting some false credit for those - MFP is notoriously high for its estimated calorie burns. I would still do that, but you may want to manually adjust the calories MFP says you burn for that activity when you enter the stop/start time. For example, if you are trying to do a 20% cut from your TDEE, I think someone suggested to me that I also take 20% off of any MFP recorded activities. If it says you burned 500 cal, only record 400.

Hope this helps.
  • katies180
    Options
    Thank you for your response. I always wear my hrm when i do other activities and then log the start time and duration, to make sure it is correct, and doesn't mess up fitbit. I only have to two kilos to lose, and I thik this is why it is harder. I weigh foods too.

I have tried different approaches over the past few months since getting my fitbit. I got my fitbit to see if i was as active as i thought I was, as I only seem to lose weight when I really cut back calories,(netting 1300) which in turn hinders my physical performance, and makes me obsess about my next meal time, and makes me very ratty.

I will cut calories off my hrm readouts, and decided to not enter snowboarding as I do this early everyday.

If I wanted to set my TDEE at -15 given from fitbit on MFP, without it adding exercide calories throughout the day, how do I do this? The eating exercise calories back is so variable, and after three months, not working for me, so how can I set the two to "fix" a calorie goal, and not change throughout the day based on my exercise?

Many thanks again,

Katie
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    If I wanted to set my TDEE at -15 given from fitbit on MFP, without it adding exercide calories throughout the day, how do I do this? The eating exercise calories back is so variable, and after three months, not working for me, so how can I set the two to "fix" a calorie goal, and not change throughout the day based on my exercise?
    I *think* you have to manually delete your adjustments, ignore them, or disconnect your accounts. (Someone'll correct me if I'm wrong.)

Change your calorie goal at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/my_goals
  • katies180
    Options
    I am going to try the "ignore the exercise calories" route for a couple of weeks, and see how that goes, eating 1900.
    Thank you for your responses!
  • dlucio1
    dlucio1 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Whats the use of buying the Fitbit HR? Whats the use of the calories burned? It doesn't tell me if Im above or below goal. I just woke up and it says I burned 300cals, but I understand that number is the TDEE. Im 4f 11 inch, 50 yrs old and weigh 157lbs. What I'd like to know from my burn number at the end of the day, am I suppose to subtract my 750 calorie daily deficit to lose 1.5lbs a wk and that will tell me if im at calorie goal? Also I been reading add certain activities to MFP and not all? This is very confusing? I bought the Fitbit thinking it would be easier to lose wt and encourage me to add more activity. Im very confused.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    dlucio1 wrote: »
    Whats the use of buying the Fitbit HR? Whats the use of the calories burned? It doesn't tell me if Im above or below goal. I just woke up and it says I burned 300cals, but I understand that number is the TDEE.

What I'd like to know from my burn number at the end of the day, am I suppose to subtract my 750 calorie daily deficit to lose 1.5lbs a wk and that will tell me if im at calorie goal? Also I been reading add certain activities to MFP and not all?

Connect your accounts at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/fitbit

Set your goal to .5 lb. for every 25 lbs. you're overweight: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided

Enable negative calorie adjustments: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

Ignore your Fitbit calorie goal and follow MFP's, eating back your adjustments. No need to log any step-based activity—your Fitbit is tracking it for you. Log non-step exercise (like swimming or biking) either in Fitbit or in MFP—never both. Exercise logged in MFP overwrites your Fitbit burn during that time.

You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users