Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    Great work. Glad you are getting comfortable
  • gingermim
    gingermim Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    why not walk away the pounds in the privacy of your own home with Leslie Sansone until you feel comfortable going out walking. There are many walking videos on Utube and there won't be anyone except yourself to judge you. I know the feeling because I am just in month 2 of seriously trying to get rid of these pounds, I am already down over 30 by eating sensibly and drinking lots of water and doing indoor walking. I want to join a gym but my insecurities are getting the best of me still...for now indoor walking will suffice...someday I will see the end of these extra pounds (still about 85 to go). Good luck
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    anyone know a way to get over this feeling? I'm seriously overweight (like 135lbs). All I want to do is get fit and healthy but i don't want people seeing me workout (even walking). I planned on walking at night or early morning but every time I set my clock I get this stupid feeling..any tips?

Oh man, that feeling is the hardest hurdle, IMO, and it doesn't stop. I suspect it's an anxiety mechanism more than anything else. Honestly, you just have to work on through feeling weird. It's rare that anyone is actually paying attention. :) I think in the past two years, I spent about half of that time working out by walking around town. In all that, a person was outwardly rude to me once.

It's a hard feeling to get through, but you can totally do it.
  • AlisonStephens1
    AlisonStephens1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is 80% food, 20% exercise. Get your meals and snacks well planned, and hold your head high when you are out walking or whatever you choose. You are making time to be healthy today, so that you don't have to make time to be ill later! You can do it!!! X :)
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    What's important is that you're getting out there and making a change to make yourself healthier. Anyone who knows you will be proud. Most people who don't know you are giving you a mental high-five. Anyone who doesn't know you who judges you, it's because of who they are, not because of who you are. They're actually the ones who deserve the pity. Don't make their issue your problem!

Here's my favorite "Do What You Want and Don't Give a Crap What Anyone Thinks" video.
    "Friends"--The One Where Phoebe Runs
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HuqNdQJSTY
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on completing your first week of walking. Keep us up to date on your walking.
    Hooray for you.

Cheers, h.
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    7 days straight of walking. Today I did 4 miles in 80min. I even did it during the peak hour of everyone else was out this morning. Most said good morning or a head nod. I feel better about this now. Thank you all for the encouragement and the kick in the butt that I needed. B)

Woo Hoo! You are totally inspiring me. It's been super hot where I live and I've had some foot pain so I've been avoiding my runs, but it's all just excuses. I'm going to get my shoes right now!

Way to go!
  • mrsdrshot
    mrsdrshot Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I say double thumbs up for even having a plan! You're doing way better than that person sitting on their couch eating doritos and chili beans, you know what I'm saying? :) Now that that's out of the way... I have 2 thoughts on this. First, who gives a flying hoo-ha what anybody thinks of you exercising outside? It's your body! Your choices! your life! But I get you, it's hard at first. So, I agree with the person who said to use Leslie Sansone Walk Away The Pounds videos (you can even find some of these on youtube, so try them out) and just walk in your own front room for a couple of weeks. Once you feel stronger (muscle wise) and more confident, then head outside and do it there too. If you want. Your choice of course! So proud of you!
  • Mrpalmer1
    Mrpalmer1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    F word what people think. Do you and get to where you want to be! You got this!
  • jasmineconroy
    jasmineconroy Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    It's way to easy to tell you to 'not care what people think', that's a bit hopeful. There are awesome pilate and exercise videos on youtube, definitely recommend POP Pilates. Going for a walk I find really therapeutic, I like going on nature walks, I feel particularly self conscious walking around roads, but not so much on a dedicated walking track :)
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    You know what most people are thinking?
    "Wow, good on her!"
    "You can do it!"
    "I wish I could be motivated enough to do that"
  • LaurenNotLaura
    LaurenNotLaura Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Don't ever feel embarrassed about taking care of yourself! Pop in your ear buds look straight ahead, and forget the rest of the world!
  • kalislim
    kalislim Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    Earbuds in, shades and hat on, go for it.
    Yep. I second this.
  • lieselLalor
    lieselLalor Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I used to feel that way too. I was so uncomfortable running outside in front of people. I would run on quieter paths like a bike path or something. But to be honest you will probably inspire people! They see you trying to better yourself and only really stupid people will think less of you! Most people will say good for her!
  • mommyvudu
    mommyvudu Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I workout at home because I'm very self conscious about people watching me workout. Even when I was in the the best shape of my life, I hated catching people staring at me while I worked out...even if they were probably just zoning out in my direction. But then again I have PTSD and anxiety issues with strangers when I'm not in work mode (for some reason I'm a huge people person in certain situations but not in a majority of them).

For home workouts, I actually use YouTube more than the half dozen workout DVD's I have. There are a couple of commercial breaks depending on how long the video is, but it's not a big deal. I love the fact that I don't have to spend a bunch of money on a DVD that I've never seen and might end up hating.

When I started I was so out of shape working out was really hard, so I did Tracy Anderson's Beginner Mat and Cardio workouts. They are fantastic! I also love pilates and yoga at home. Nowadays I work out a lot harder most of the time. I know if I start with videos that are too intense I get discourages and beat myself up. Better to start with easier stuff and ramp up.

Good luck!!!
  • crazygooselady
    crazygooselady Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Some large percentage started working out because they were over weight. Some smaller percentage didn't want to get overweight. The larger group has been where you are now and won't judge you other than to congratulate you for starting. The smaller group should do the same thing, but for the few, very few, who judge...they have bigger issues than you....and you shouldn't pay them any attention because their issues really have little to do with you and a lot more to do with how they were raised and their own insecurities.