Low Carb

Options

Replies

• Sean_TheITGuy
    Sean_TheITGuy Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I would like to know if combine calorie counting with low carb will I lose faster

It will not. Low carb is a fad. You just need to be in a caloric deficit to lose weight.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/

While your second statement is true, it's a lot easier to be in a caloric deficit if you're not crashing your blood sugar from a carb heavy diet all the time. Fat and protein are a lot more even release energy sources, while carbs are gasoline thrown on a campfire. All woosh and fireball and then gone, leaving you jonesing for your next hit.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    I would like to know if combine calorie counting with low carb will I lose faster

It will not. Low carb is a fad. You just need to be in a caloric deficit to lose weight.

While your second statement is true, it's a lot easier to be in a caloric deficit if you're not crashing your blood sugar from a carb heavy diet all the time. Fat and protein are a lot more even release energy sources, while carbs are gasoline thrown on a campfire. All woosh and fireball and then gone, leaving you jonesing for your next hit.

Amen. This was me yesterday, after making some unwise choices due to feeling sorry for myself after being at the dentist.

• umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    nvsmomketo wrote: »
    Yeah... no. Believe what you will.

Best wishes.

BTW, your studies show a body weight decrease which makes sense due to water loss. Says nothing about fat loss. Secondly, most of the studies didn't have calories controlled in both groups. Thirdly, the several studies say that the groups didn't stick to their diets towards the end of the study. These studies don't prove anything...

This brings up another benefit of low carb diets, the diet naturally reduces salt and watér retention which helps with blood pressure levels and edema!

Got high blood pressure and feel all puffy? Carb levels may be something to investigate to help solve these.
  • cassiek0lba
    cassiek0lba Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Don't call it a fad. It may be a fad for some people...however you are forgetting that doctors recommend this way of eating for those who are insulin resistant and those who have PCOS like myself. And it really helps those people. The rudeness on this board is aggravating.
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    It has been said a lot, but a low carb way of eating is far from a fad. If you think that, you might as well say that the Mayo Clinic is a fad, or the Inuit culture is a fad.

Fad diets don't help people rid themselves of diseases that are almost directly caused from having too much of what they are eliminating. Fad diets don't get people off medication. Fad diets do not reflect what our ancestors ate because they had to.

There are plenty of fads out there. Low carb is not one of them. Just ask someone fighting diabetes. Just ask someone dealing with hypothyroidism, or PCOS, or even seizures.

Yes, CICO is law; nothing defies that, to the best of our knowledge. This diet is a tool for weight loss. But it has a ton of residual health effects that come, in part, directly from the nutrients in the diet. Everybody is different. But a fad runs out. This way of eating has been around for many centuries.
  • robertf57
    robertf57 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Proposing isocaloric comparisons as validation of a diet is just silly. That's not the real world state. Everyone will lose weight if we strictly control calories to the proper level. The touted benefit to low carbohydrate diets is really about satiety and the ability of many dieters to maintain a caloric deficit while on a low carb diet. (Particularly insulin resistant dieters)

In the end do what works for you and forget about the opinions of people on the internet. If you feel wearing a grass skirt helps you control your eating during dinner, Hula away!
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I am on a very low carb diet. I track my calories because it makes me feel better. But the low-carb called diet has been working for me and I've lost 17 pounds in the last few months. My doctor is who put me on this type of diet because I am prediabetic and a low calorie diet will not work for someone who has high insulin levels. I don't think that this is a fad and it gets easier to do every day. The hardest part for me is giving up fruit, but they are teaching me at this office how to eat, and different things to use as substitutions. If you choose to go on a low-carb diet I wish you luck and much success.
  • rwhyte12
    rwhyte12 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I've lost 21 pounds in five weeks changing the composition of my diet. I eat around 100 grams of carbs, 50 to 60 grams of fat, low sugar (nothing refined) and 80 to 100 grams of protein. Before that, I was just eating 1200 calories a day and gaining weight. It's nice to see it all go as I was exercising and eating a calorie restricted diet but the composition of my previous diet (too high in carbs, too low in good fats and protein) was really not that great for my weight. Good luck. Try to see how your body feels as you change around the composition of your diet.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I feel more satisfied with LCHF. Some people do better with more carbs, some people do better with more fat and less carbs. Whatever helps you stay full, satisfied, and sticking to your goals.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    rwhyte12 wrote: »
    I've lost 21 pounds in five weeks changing the composition of my diet. I eat around 100 grams of carbs, 50 to 60 grams of fat, low sugar (nothing refined) and 80 to 100 grams of protein. Before that, I was just eating 1200 calories a day and gaining weight. It's nice to see it all go as I was exercising and eating a calorie restricted diet but the composition of my previous diet (too high in carbs, too low in good fats and protein) was really not that great for my weight. Good luck. Try to see how your body feels as you change around the composition of your diet.

Are you magic? 1200 is bottom of the barrel acceptable. Everyone loses weight at that calorie deficit.
  • terriallen13
    terriallen13 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I eat 25g carbs, 70g fat and 100g protein a day also do 5:2 fast of 500 cals. Losing weight, arthritis gone, cholic pain gone, haven't had a cold for 2 years. Works for me
  • mittsi46
    mittsi46 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    terriallen how do you only eat 25g carbs? Can you tell me what foods you eat?
  • cherub14
    cherub14 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I try to eat more proteins and fiber and restrict my carbs. I feel fuller longer and my skin "seems" to look better. I've eaten a lowfat, high carb diet for 20+ years... So now I'm eating this way and it's working for me. My diary is open (it's not perfect) feel free to check it out.
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Are you magic? 1200 is bottom of the barrel acceptable. Everyone loses weight at that calorie deficit.

No, no they don't.

You try being a very short, menopausal, hypothyroid woman and then come back and tell me that's true.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I eat low carb under a doctor's orders, but it's working for me where eating only CICO did not. I can eat more low carb food for fewer calories and still feel satisfied than I ever could as a (mostly) vegetarian.

If you find it beneficial and your nutrients aren't suffering, then do it. I say that about any diet. If you're keeping your health and achieving your weight goal, do it.
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options

Low carb is a fad - hardly since its been around since the 1800s! You need to be sure your information is correct before posting. The body has no need of simple carbs and processed junk. You will die, however, if you don't get enough fat and carbs.

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    mittsi46 wrote: »
    terriallen how do you only eat 25g carbs? Can you tell me what foods you eat?

in my case meat, eggs, cheese, 85% chocolate, nuts, low sugar berries, low carb green vegetables etc.
  • Childfree1991
    Childfree1991 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    In the short term you may lose weight faster on a low carb high fat diet and eating at a deficit than f you just ate at a deficit. After a year the losses mostly even out.

No, it is not a fad. It is a way of eating. And you are incorrect, combining LCHF with a calorie deficit does usually cause faster weight loss. It is not by a huge amount, but it is faster.
    My mom tried low-carb once and ended up with high cholesterol... Ever since she stopped she's been healthier.

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    In the short term you may lose weight faster on a low carb high fat diet and eating at a deficit than f you just ate at a deficit. After a year the losses mostly even out.

No, it is not a fad. It is a way of eating. And you are incorrect, combining LCHF with a calorie deficit does usually cause faster weight loss. It is not by a huge amount, but it is faster.
    My mom tried low-carb once and ended up with high cholesterol... Ever since she stopped she's been healthier.

I think your mother was unusual. I am glad she has found a diet that works for her.

Sometimes overall cholesterol can go up but generally speaking, HDL goes up, and LDL stays about the same but the amount of vLDL tends to decrease while the "fluffier" LDL goes up. Usually, there is no negative effects to cholesterol on a LCHF diet, but I wouldn't worry too much about cholesterol. Many scientists and doctors now believe that high cholestertol sometimes co-occurs with heart disease and not that high cholesterol actually causes heart disease, especially in older women.

Now triglycerides on the other hand are thought to contribute to heart disease, and triglycerides are made (mostly) from carbs.