are you a good tipper? do you tip 20 percent?

Options
13»

Replies

• jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I once tipped a waiter $20 on a burger because he finally gave me a burger without tomato when I ordered a burger without a tomato! It's happened ONCE......EVER.
  • Hey_Its_That_One_Guy
    Hey_Its_That_One_Guy Posts: 21,763 Member
    Options
    My tip depends on the service and the kind of place I'm at. If I don't feel like the service has been good I wouldn't expect more than 15%.
  • jessica22222
    jessica22222 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I tip 15% if the service is TERRIBLE. I generally will tip 20% or more. I used to serve so I understand tipping. And I don't understand rude service because I have never done that to a customer no matter how bad a day I was having.
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    tripleA972 wrote: »
    Are you a good tipper? Do you tip 20 percent?

Always at least 20%. Even if service is 'so-so', I'll leave the 20% and have a quick word with whoever is in charge before I leave.
    My neighbor is a waitress and she's very good at her job. But she's human, and I imagine there are days when she is under stress or not feeling her best and it will show up in her work. She relies on tips for her budget.

Just yesterday she was telling me about the new place she's working. It's in an upscale neighborhood and she tells me the tips are MUCH less than when she was working in a poorer area. Same type of restaurant too.

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Typically at least 20%. More for good service.

I have however left a handful of change twice. I had one time on Valentines Day were me and my husband went to a local restaurant. We ordered the valentines day special. Our server ignored us (she was very chatty with her other tables, but wouldn't even refill our drinks) and she was supposed to bring us some dessert which she never did. I did talk to the manager before leaving. Then on another occasion, I had a server who was friendly, but she didn't bring me my drink that I ordered, let our food sit in the pick up window for a good 20 mins (the cook ended up bringing it to us), forgot to put my son's meal into the computer (so the cook didn't even know to make it) and we were her only table that night.
  • Ssthrnbby
    Ssthrnbby Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    I tip 20% all the time. Even for bad service because I don't know the type of day they are having.
    Though I have seen a lady who looks like she is tired, distracted, her kids come in and don't have on the nicest clothes. Just a hard working single mom and I left her a tip of $300.
    She chased me to my car , crying and told me she was going to loose her car if she didn't have the $200! So she got a $100 bonus! :)

Karma will pay me back ;)
  • jessica22222
    jessica22222 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Ssthrnbby wrote: »
    I tip 20% all the time. Even for bad service because I don't know the type of day they are having.
    Though I have seen a lady who looks like she is tired, distracted, her kids come in and don't have on the nicest clothes. Just a hard working single mom and I left her a tip of $300.
    She chased me to my car , crying and told me she was going to loose her car if she didn't have the $200! So she got a $100 bonus! :)

You are a doll!
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    tripleA972 wrote: »
    Are you a good tipper? Do you tip 20 percent?
    I look at tipping as an investment in the quality of service I receive.
    Workers know me, and they know I tip well. I value the effort they put in and show it in a tangible way.
    This is why I never have to wait in line when we eat out or stand with the herd at a lawn concert.
    When I buy auto parts, the manager comes out and installs whatever I just purchased. If I call the nursery for a load of dirt, my name goes to the top of the list. Same with auto repairs, plumbing or yard work.
    Money talks!
    It's a language all people understand.
  • Ssthrnbby
    Ssthrnbby Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Ssthrnbby wrote: »

You are a doll!

Thanks. I was a single mom and I know the look. :-/ it will come back around
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,276 Member
    Options
    If you're rude or only come to my table three times (order, food, check) then you gets nuffin. But if you treat me well despite what's going on in your day, genuinely act as if you care about my business, and are attentive - 20+% for sure. If it's somewhere I've been a few times and they remember me and what I like, props to you in tip form as well.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Tipping? Whats that ? :smiley:

Restaurant/bar staff are paid well where i come from!

...I don't expect to get a tip working at the office!

And more to the point why does anyone care who tips or how much? :neutral:
  • s_y8s
    s_y8s Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I usually do 20% or more
  • tripleA972
    tripleA972 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Yes. We got us a cheap one everyone ding, ding, ding.