No Cake Birthday ?

Options

Replies

• Wytcher9
    Wytcher9 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Love the idea of watermelon cake. I recently helped serve cake at office celebration. I chose to enjoy a small piece of cake. It was easy to control my portion since I was eating in public. Bottom line: don't guilt yourself for enjoying a piece of cake. Deprivation is the killer of staying on track with your diet. Key is to figure out how to "splurge" without blowing your nutritional goals for that day.
  • db34fit69
    db34fit69 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I think you misused the punctuation. Should read: "No, cake birthday!"
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I would be sad not eating cake on my birthday...
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I second (third? fifth? eighty-fourth?) the cupcake idea. I'm not a massive cake person but I was given a cupcake on my last birthday and it was lovely.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,027 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I don't understand this watermelon cake. How does the icing or whipped cream stick to the side like that? I mean. I like me some water melon and whipped cream but you could just put it in a bowl and call it what it is-which is not cake.
    I guess the point apart from lower calories or being gluten/ egg etc free( not for OP but for some people who might use this) is presentation.
    Sure it is basically the same as watermelon and berries in a bowl with cream - but it looks birthdayish and partyish and one could stick candles in it like a cake.

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,989 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Go out for dessert. Have one slice of cake. Return home where there is no more cake.

This ^^

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,989 Member
    Options
    Or do what I did on my birthday ...

First, I cycled my age in miles. It's a birthday tradition among many cyclists.

Then my husband and I bought a small chocolate cheesecake ... which we split, half each. :)

I'm not particularly young anymore, so the cycling was enough to burn off the half cheesecake and then some!

• Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    oocdc2 wrote: »
    23sevoo3rmtd.jpg

The cake is a lie!!!1!
    Crime against the poor watermelon.
    Op have a good piece of cake enjoy your birthday all will be well.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    You only have one birthday a year.
    If you will feel hard done by without cake, you should definitely have a slice.
  • kimw91
    kimw91 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I second everyone suggesting to just have a small piece of cake or a cupcake. But as you asked for alternatives, how about making a protein cheesecake or a quark cake using quark, fresh fruit, gelatin and an oat/date base? You could also turn your favorite bananabread recipe (if you have one) into a cake?
  • seekingbetterme
    seekingbetterme Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I think if you want cake on your birthday, maybe find a mug cake recipe and make it! Then you don't have an entire cake sitting around, but you still get to indulge! Or you could get some dark chocolate and melt it and dip some fruit into it! Strawberries and pineapples are even better smothered in chocolate :)
  • SteffieSunshine
    SteffieSunshine Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    My niece likes water ices for her birthday. I don't know if you have a place like Ralph's or Uncle Louie G's where you live. It still has sugar, unless you get sugar free, but better than cake.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    My niece likes water ices for her birthday. I don't know if you have a place like Ralph's or Uncle Louie G's where you live. It still has sugar, unless you get sugar free, but better than cake.

Water ices are better than cake? In what universe?
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I have a birthday this week. I too am skipping the cake and going for a banana split. I think it is healthy...got a banana...strawberries...pineapple...and even a cherry. Those are healthy are they not? I also heard somewhere...chocolate can help you lose weight. :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    I have a birthday this week. I too am skipping the cake and going for a banana split. I think it is healthy...got a banana...strawberries...pineapple...and even a cherry. Those are healthy are they not? I also heard somewhere...chocolate can help you lose weight. :)

Hmm banana splits in my time were a banana, 3 scoops of ice cream, whipped cream, and chocolate sauce, that was it...
  • jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    On my anniversary recently we went to a SUPER fancy restaurant just for dessert. They had small portions of delectable desserts and it didn't cost much.
    You're most likely not going to never have cake on your birthday again, SO pick something that puts you at maintenance that day and eat at a deficit the rest of the week. Go on a birthday hike and earn a piece of cake, or something better. My family gave up on cake. Husband wants caramel popcorn, youngest daughter wants bacon, and my oldest and me choose cheesecake!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Why not have a piece of cake?
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Low calorie idea-Angel food cake with cool whip and berries, or shortcake cups with strawberries and whipped cream.

In my actual life- For birthdays we typically just make cupcakes, and encourage our guests (kids) to take home the leftover cup cakes for their parents.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Try Hawaiian sweet rolls with dyed cool whip on top, I hear good things!

I opened this thread just so I could post something similar... You beat me to it by about a week LOL!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I don't understand this watermelon cake. How does the icing or whipped cream stick to the side like that? I mean. I like me some water melon and whipped cream but you could just put it in a bowl and call it what it is-which is not cake.
    I guess the point apart from lower calories or being gluten/ egg etc free( not for OP but for some people who might use this) is presentation.
    Sure it is basically the same as watermelon and berries in a bowl with cream - but it looks birthdayish and partyish and one could stick candles in it like a cake.

and is very delicious